Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 100Mb now available

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

I don't think you can put the Thomson into bridge mode?

On another note I was using inSSIDer to find the best wireless channel for my new Thomson router to use when I noticed that it's broadcasting twice, i.e. the mac address was the same except for the last two characters and the second channel didn't have an SSID.

Anyone else notice this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭kingofslaves

I've gone onto the 50Mbs service and I'm very happy, but how do I get into the router settings ? I tried typing my IP address and the old address but got nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

Point your browser at 192.168.0.1.
    The password is "admin", leave the username blank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

roast wrote: »
    I uploaded a 350MB file last night, only took around 3-4 minutes for me. Didn't time it, but it is quite fast.
    :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

Skittle wrote: »

On another note I was using inSSIDer to find the best wireless channel for my new Thomson router to use when I noticed that it's broadcasting twice, i.e. the mac address was the same except for the last two characters and the second channel didn't have an SSID.

Anyone else notice this?

Yeh , I noticed the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Freddie59 wrote: »
    :confused:

I don't know about you.... but I can make approximate guesses. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

:p
    I don't know about you.... but I can make approximate guesses. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

BostonB wrote: »
    I think (I could be wrong( Someone else commented that UPC seems to be getting different download stats than those monitoring themselves with their own software.

When I was monitoring usage with my old cable modem and Router from the router itself I found that about 15% of the traffic was random external requests blocked by NAT. Its a big enough number to show a difference in usage stats if measured from the machine itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

4- Now, enter the Thomson's config (if you're behind your own router, you can access it through 192.168.100.1) and go to "Advanced" and then "DMZ host". Change the IP on this screen to the WAN IP that you have assigned for your own router. In my case, it is 192.168.0.2, as mentioned in step 3.

Hi roast... thanks for the very helpful guide as I got this Thompson installed on Saturday.I've ordered a dd-wrt compatible router but have not received it yet.One this is confusing me... where did the 192.168.100.1 come from above? You were working on 0.1/24 and 1.1/24 subnets and then 100.1/24?

Thanks again,

carbsy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭who is this

Clover wrote: »
    Yeh , I noticed the same thing.

Cisco one does it too. I'm guessing its for some kind of (possible) future service to let one customer use another's home connection without affecting their speed.

In France all SFR routers do this. Quite handy. But I doubt the Cisco routers could handle it. Thomson maybe

• Advertisement

carbsy wrote: »
    Hi roast... thanks for the very helpful guide as I got this Thompson installed on Saturday.I've ordered a dd-wrt compatible router but have not received it yet.One this is confusing me... where did the 192.168.100.1 come from above? You were working on 0.1/24 and 1.1/24 subnets and then 100.1/24?

Thanks again,

carbsy.

If your PC is currently behind a router which is behind the Thomson, typing in the usual 192.168.1.1 will just bring you to your own router config, not the Thomson config. Typing 192.168.100.1 will bring you straight to the Thomson config, regardless of where your computer is connected on the network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Skittle wrote: »

Anyone else notice this?
    a lot of people apparently did when it came out first in NL! :D

http://www.dataprotectioncenter.com/antivirus/norman/hidden-second-wi-fi-network-with-the-thomson-twg870u-router/

from what i understand, there was a fw update that disabled it after all the complaints, but maybe someone forgot to mention it to upc.ie? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

If your PC is currently behind a router which is behind the Thomson, typing in the usual 192.168.1.1 will just bring you to your own router config, not the Thomson config. Typing 192.168.100.1 will bring you straight to the Thomson config, regardless of where your computer is connected on the network.

Thanks roast but why 100.1 ? In the example you gave the Thompson was on 0.1 ... where did the 100 come from? :confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

1299934023.png

Im on 50MB and thats the best download wireless speed I can get.:( Anybody know how to improve it in the router settings like the wireless channel?? Will a usb n dongle help??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭Telgere

1299963678.png

Just installed, getting around 12MB/s from HEAnet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

1299934023.png

Im on 50MB and thats the best download wireless speed I can get.:( Anybody know how to improve it in the router settings like the wireless channel?? Will a usb n dongle help??

Some people have got a dongle in the router box, it's n strenght and should improve your speed a lot. Double check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭who is this

Even on N I can't usually get above 60Mb.

1300354283.png

Wired to my laptop on Linux I get this. It's worse (~50 on W7 for some reason) but I get over 100Mb wired to the desktop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Any boardsies living in Derry? Virgin media have launched 100Mb broadband in the city. http://www.digitalspy.ie/digitaltv/news/a320052/virgin-brings-100mbps-broadband-to-derry.html

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭JKGT

1299934023.png

Have you got an N receiver in your laptop????

My old laptop which dont have the N receiver only gets 20mb wirelesly.. Try hard wireing it to the router and see what you get then;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

1299934023.png

Not a whole lot you can do to improve wireless performance. An N adapter may or may not improve anything. I'm going to test mine this evening on Wireless N. I get between 90-100Mbps with a cable to my Gigabit Ethernet connection on the PC. Haven't speed tested wireless at all as the netbook only has G, but I now have an N adapter to check it with.

Range will be a limiting factor of wireless, as will interference. The quality of the router and the receiver will also effect it, as can the computer spec itself.

Wired is the only way to determine your speed accurately. Wireless is pretty much never going to give you top speed on anything over 30Mbps broadband.

Homeplugs are often suggested as an alternative, but I only got 27Mbps on my 85Mbps rated adapters, so they've been replaced by a simple 20m Ethernet cable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭hadepsx

where'd u buy a 20m ethernet cable n how much tanx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

JKGT wrote: »
    Have you got an N receiver in your laptop????

My old laptop which dont have the N receiver only gets 20mb wirelesly.. Try hard wireing it to the router and see what you get then;)
    I dont know if I have an N receiver or not but I want to get a USB n dongle. Wired isnt an option.. Also would changing the wireless channel or playing around with wireless settings on the router help?? Afraid to mess around with it in fear of fcuking it up.. Tbh anytime I download anything music/movies I could hook it up wired I suppose but Id like a good wireless speed so I can show off.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭The Left Hand Of God

This should clear up some info for you. At the very least, its for new users to the 100mb service who need some help with this hunk of $h!t Thomson that UPC are sending out...

This guide will help you set up your own Router with the Thomson modem.
    As the Thomson modem does not have a bridge/gateway mode option (at least, not in this current firmware) usually you would have to stick with using the Thomson as a router too.

Another advantage of doing this is the potential to add more port forwarding rules, as the Thomson only has a limited number of slots to do so.(This is dependent on the router you choose to set up)

The router I chose to set up was a TP-LINK TLWR1043ND.

Here we go...
    1 - Connect your PC directly to the router you wish to set up with an Ethernet cable. To avoid any issues when setting it up, assign a static IP to that machine in the range of the router, but out of the DHCP pool that the router provides. For example, my routers IP was 192.168.1.1, and it leased a pool between 192.168.1.10 - 192.168.1.199. So, I set my computer as 192.168.1.2, which is out of the DHCP pool, but still allows connection. This will avoid any possible/potential DHCP conflicts. (You might get away with not setting a static IP, but do it nonetheless if problems occur)

2- If you've changed your routers IP or your PC's IP in the first step, ensure you can still log in to your router via a browser. If it doesnt work, restart both the PC and the router.

3- Assign a static WAN IP to the router. This IP must be in the range of the Thomson, but OUTSIDE the range of the Thomsons DHCP pool, which by default is 192.168.0.10 - 192.168.0.254.
    I chose 192.168.0.2, with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and a default gateway of 192.168.0.1.

4- Now, enter the Thomson's config (if you're behind your own router, you can access it through 192.168.100.1) and go to "Advanced" and then "DMZ host". Change the IP on this screen to the WAN IP that you have assigned for your own router. In my case, it is 192.168.0.2, as mentioned in step 3.

5- Now to change around your settings on the Thomson. There is no need to disable DHCP on the thomson, so you can still use more devices connected directly to the Thomson (but any port forwarding rules set to those devices would be managed by your own router). I recommend to disable "IP Flood Detection", as this can cause problems with Port forwarding, and more commonly, Torrenting. Leave the Firewall on, I havent tested that yet. You can also choose whether to leave the WiFi on the Thomson on or off, depending on whether you need more access points in your house. I left mine on.

And thats it. Your new router should work perfectly. While you're at it, visit http://dd-wrt.com and install that if your router supports it. An excellent piece of firmware, I must say.

I also did use some information from chelloo.com, so thanks goes to "jtech" on that forum for his work. Credit me and him if you post this elsewhere.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Cheers,
    Mick.

I have tried this but I can't access the internet?

I have a linksys WRT610N

in Linksys I go to SETUP/basic set-up and change auto DHCP to static. I choose the IP 192.168.0.2
    Sub net and default gate are as posted.

I then go into the Thompson and add 192.168.0.2 to the DMZ and the NET fails. All diagnostics, windows, cisco network magic show everything as good to go?

Wreaking my head. As is with the Linksys set to auto DHCP and just setting the Thompson DMZ to the "current" Linksys Internet IP works OK :(

Any Help appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

hopefully the last of all my questions, but is anyone using a linksys WRT610N or similar 5Ghz range router on the 100mb package? what kind of speeds can i expect over wireless using that router and a Cisco WUSB600N Wireless-N USB Network Adapter with Dual-Band? can i expect 100Mbps?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    hopefully the last of all my questions, but is anyone using a linksys WRT610N or similar 5Ghz range router on the 100mb package? what kind of speeds can i expect over wireless using that router and a Cisco WUSB600N Wireless-N USB Network Adapter with Dual-Band? can i expect 100Mbps?

It's too hard to say as it could vary massively based on things local to your house but maybe 50-60Mbps over wireless.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Fitzinho

3- Assign a static WAN IP to the router. This IP must be in the range of the Thomson, but OUTSIDE the range of the Thomsons DHCP pool, which by default is 192.168.0.10 - 192.168.0.254.
    I chose 192.168.0.2, with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and a default gateway of 192.168.0.1.

I don't understand this part, can someone elaborate please?

Thanks

I have tried this but I can't access the internet?

I have a linksys WRT610N

in Linksys I go to SETUP/basic set-up and change auto DHCP to static. I choose the IP 192.168.0.2
    Sub net and default gate are as posted.

I then go into the Thompson and add 192.168.0.2 to the DMZ and the NET fails. All diagnostics, windows, cisco network magic show everything as good to go?

Wreaking my head. As is with the Linksys set to auto DHCP and just setting the Thompson DMZ to the "current" Linksys Internet IP works OK :(

Any Help appreciated.

Have you set DNS servers on your PC? Can you ping any IP's?
    Fitzinho wrote: »
    I don't understand this part, can someone elaborate please?

Thanks

Change the WAN IP of the router. Try the addresses that I tried first. If they don't work.... post back.

No but after I set them on the Linksys it worked OK.
    I started from scratch and as the Linksys has a DHCP reservation table I didn't set any PC to a fixed IP.

Went int0 the DMZ router and set the WAN ip to 0.10 and then into the linksys and choose the Internet IP 0.10 and set the DNS1 and DNS2 to the DNS servers showing on the DMZ router.

This guide (or bits taken from it) as well as yours helped a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

It's too hard to say as it could vary massively based on things local to your house but maybe 50-60Mbps over wireless.
    Thanks.

Its going to be impossible for me to run a cable from the router to the PC, as it'll be above my head on the 1st story of the house, and its rented so im not sure i can just drill a hole through the floor. after reading a few reviews of the WRT610N, it seems the only way to get 100mbps over wireless is in the 5ghz range, at a distance of 5 feet away from the router, with no obstacles in-between. pointless.

wireless interference should be pretty low, as i dont think ive much 2.4ghz equipment in the house, and all the neighbouring wifi's are in the low half of the wireless channels (i think between channel 1 and 6, with me operating on channel 11 :))

so whats the best way for me to get my full speeds? any recommended home plugs maybe? its not just the 100mbps that im after, its the 500gb limit thats pretty much essential, so going on the 50mb package is not a great option (its cap is still 250gb), and seeing as im going to be paying for the 100mbps, i might as well spend some money on equipment to handle all that internets, as it will be noticeably better than 50-65mbps im likely to get.

any advice welcome!

• Advertisement

Change the WAN IP of the router. Try the addresses that I tried first. If they don't work.... post back.

Sorry to bother you (or anyone who can help) again!
    If I ping the Linksys 192.168.1.1 I get about 3ms and if I do the Thompson 192.168.0.1 it is 17ms? That right? As it is only one hop? Tracert shows one hop. Not I am going through powerlines from attick to routers

Just curious :o

Advertisement