Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 100Mb now available

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

Sorry to bother you (or anyone who can help) again!
    If I ping the Linksys 192.168.1.1 I get about 3ms and if I do the Thompson 192.168.0.1 it is 17ms? That right? As it is only one hop? Tracert shows one hop. Not I am going through powerlines from attick to routers

Just curious :o

Just did a test there.1ms to my Buffalo and also 1ms to Thompson.I have same configuration as yourself...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭The Left Hand Of God

carbsy wrote: »
    Just did a test there.1ms to my Buffalo and also 1ms to Thompson.I have same configuration as yourself...

Thanks for that. I am in two minds. leaving it all the feck alone as I am getting decent download speeds or look into the NAT aspect :)

Think I am just going to leave it all alone, for now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

there should only be negligible difference in pings from your pc to the 2 routers over ethernet.

i've just got a self crimped length of cat5e about 10" long between mine, but it shouldn't make a difference as long as its a decent cable.

from my htpc under the telly mine are <1ms to my linksys e3000 and 1ms to thompson.

try a different cable between the routers maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Sorry to bother you (or anyone who can help) again!
    If I ping the Linksys 192.168.1.1 I get about 3ms and if I do the Thompson 192.168.0.1 it is 17ms? That right? As it is only one hop? Tracert shows one hop. Not I am going through powerlines from attick to routers

Just curious :o

Just to confirm, theres homeplugs going between your Linksys router and the Thomson modem? And your PC is connected directly to the Linksys?

If so, then yeah, 17ms (from your PC->router->modem) could be about right - homeplugs have a nasty effect on latency times depending on the quality of the internal wiring in your house.

roast wrote: »
    Just to confirm, theres homeplugs going between your Linksys router and the Thomson modem? And your PC is connected directly to the Linksys?

If so, then yeah, 17ms (from your PC->router->modem) could be about right - homeplugs have a nasty effect on latency times depending on the quality of the internal wiring in your house.

Nah connection now is PC>Homeplugs@200mbps>linksys>Thopmson.

I'll have a last at changing the cable between the linksys and thomson later!

• Advertisement

Nah connection now is PC>Homeplugs@200mbps>linksys>Thopmson.

I'll have a last at changing the cable between the linksys and thomson later!

Ah homeplugs! Thought you had a direct gigabit connection from your PC to Linksys.... 17ms is still a bit high though.Just did another ping test there over Wireless N in a room a good bit away from Thompson... 2ms.

i actually missed the homeplugs thing too, maybe my brain is blocking them out after bad experiences! :D

that said, if you are able to ping your linksys router at xms your ping to the thompson should only be xms +1ms at most.

i have everything on the thompson turned off totally, so the firewall, wireless etc. are all disabled, with the firewall on the linksys doing all the work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    Thanks.

Its going to be impossible for me to run a cable from the router to the PC, as it'll be above my head on the 1st story of the house, and its rented so im not sure i can just drill a hole through the floor. after reading a few reviews of the WRT610N, it seems the only way to get 100mbps over wireless is in the 5ghz range, at a distance of 5 feet away from the router, with no obstacles in-between. pointless.

wireless interference should be pretty low, as i dont think ive much 2.4ghz equipment in the house, and all the neighbouring wifi's are in the low half of the wireless channels (i think between channel 1 and 6, with me operating on channel 11 :))

so whats the best way for me to get my full speeds? any recommended home plugs maybe? its not just the 100mbps that im after, its the 500gb limit thats pretty much essential, so going on the 50mb package is not a great option (its cap is still 250gb), and seeing as im going to be paying for the 100mbps, i might as well spend some money on equipment to handle all that internets, as it will be noticeably better than 50-65mbps im likely to get.

any advice welcome!
    bumping myself here. anyone got any advice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

Have a set of homeplugs myself 200Mbps and no matter what room the laptop is moved to the speed never goes above mid 50Mb on the speedtests. if I plug the laptop into the router directly the full 100Mb is obtained.

Considering biting the bullet and running cable to a few rooms in the house for the laptop , pc and games consoles etc... just need to educate myself on it before I start spending money on cable and equipment.

Clover wrote: »
    Have a set of homeplugs myself 200Mbps and no matter what room the laptop is moved to the speed never goes above mid 50Mb on the speedtests. if I plug the laptop into the router directly the full 100Mb is obtained.

Considering biting the bullet and running cable to a few rooms in the house for the laptop , pc and games consoles etc... just need to educate myself on it before I start spending money on cable and equipment.

Well while lying in bed last night something dawned on me. In my attic conversion there is a TV point. So I had a look at it today and it is a cable running into the legit UPC tv point in the bed room below, which is directly above the main TV/UPC point in the sitting room below that. Which is where the modem and linksys router is.

Couple of years ago when out new HQ was being fitted out I rescued about 4 pieces of CAT6 that are about 35 foot each, which I stowed away at work, till now. Having dangled them from the attic room all the way down the stairs I have enough in one, I think , to run from the TV point to the attic, which will be good in the long term but I still can't wrap my head around 1ms to the linksys but then 17 to the Thomson right beside it! Can't be the AV plugs, I think, as the 1ms to the linksys is down that line as the first hop.

I'll persevere though. I'm good like that. :)

Thanks everyone for all the help they gave me.
    Much appreciated.

If I every figure out what the answer is I'll be sure to report back.

• Advertisement

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    bumping myself here. anyone got any advice?

The UPC point is in the bedroom? So is there one directly below it? You could try what I am going to try? Run a cable down?

In saying that you could do the drill thing and provided you left it as a very professional job, ducting and RJ45 point.... would the land lord mind? Could just ask?

Has anyone had the upload speed increase yet?

RVP 11 wrote: »
    Has anyone had the upload speed increase yet?
    on what package? got mine with the 100mbps upgrade and seena lot of people with the 50mbps one getting theirs more or less immediately, even with the old modem before the new one arrives and gives them the increased download speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭KennyLegend

I just got the Thomson router in ther post yesterday after switching to the 50Mb package. I was on the EPC2425 in bridge mode and used a Netgear WNDR3700 to provide my wireless.

I got about 29-30.5Mb wired to my pc and 14Mb d/l speed at my netbook...which i was pretty happy with.

On the new 50Mb, im getting 49.5Mb wired to my PC and 9-10Mb at my netbook (which i think is only G rated anyway).

So..i went into the config and had a look around. I changed the bandwidth from 20Mhz to 40hz and im getting 21Mb now at my netbook. From what ive read this is about as much as ill get unless i get an N dongle. Thats fine. No problem so far.

I play XBox Live quite a bit, and i had port forward and DMZ set up on my Netgear for this. I dont ever remember having any dropouts with this set up. However, on the Thomson, i got kicked out of xbox live twice last night.

My question to yuo guys is....whats the best way to set this up?
    I seem to have bridge mode in my Thomson...at least the option is there and its not greyed out. WOuld i be better off setting back up the WNDR3700 as an access point again or set up DMZ in the Thomson ?
    Im assuming its "advanced/dmz host" is where i set that up in the Thomson.

What do you guys think ? WHat set up have you guys on xbox live and what works best for you?

vibe666 wrote: »
    on what package? got mine with the 100mbps upgrade and seena lot of people with the 50mbps one getting theirs more or less immediately, even with the old modem before the new one arrives and gives them the increased download speed.

Im talking about the upload speed increase for 100mb users to 10mb upload.

it looks like that was only for the 100mbps pilot scheme users, possibly as a thank you for helping to test the upgrades and a consolation prize for paying €80 to get it installed in the first place.

you'd have to assume that everyone will get it sooner or later though. or at least hope. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

it looks like that was only for the 100mbps pilot scheme users, possibly as a thank you for helping to test the upgrades and a consolation prize for paying €80 to get it installed in the first place.

you'd have to assume that everyone will get it sooner or later though. or at least hope. :)

While i was talking to one of the customer service peeps, I asked him about it, He said everyone on the 100Mb connection will be bumped to 10Mb upload, He couldn't give a definite time frame, But was implying that it would be sooner rather than later.

I for one hope they can install the 100Mb line on my house next saturday, After what happened the first time they tried, I really hope they found away around the person causing the problems.

Thor wrote: »
    While i was talking to one of the customer service peeps, I asked him about it, He said everyone on the 100Mb connection will be bumped to 10Mb upload, He couldn't give a definite time frame, But was implying that it would be sooner rather than later.

I for one hope they can install the 100Mb line on my house next saturday, After what happened the first time they tried, I really hope they found away around the person causing the problems.
    i was told the same thing about the upload bump before the big rollout, but i don't know now when it'll be. it had sounded at the time like they were going to do it on launch day, but that never happened. :(

still, hard to complain really. :)

fingers crossed for you anyway, superfast (actual) next gen broadband for everyone, \o/ yay! :)

I just got the Thomson router in ther post yesterday after switching to the 50Mb package. I was on the EPC2425 in bridge mode and used a Netgear WNDR3700 to provide my wireless.

I got about 29-30.5Mb wired to my pc and 14Mb d/l speed at my netbook...which i was pretty happy with.

On the new 50Mb, im getting 49.5Mb wired to my PC and 9-10Mb at my netbook (which i think is only G rated anyway).

So..i went into the config and had a look around. I changed the bandwidth from 20Mhz to 40hz and im getting 21Mb now at my netbook. From what ive read this is about as much as ill get unless i get an N dongle. Thats fine. No problem so far.

I play XBox Live quite a bit, and i had port forward and DMZ set up on my Netgear for this. I dont ever remember having any dropouts with this set up. However, on the Thomson, i got kicked out of xbox live twice last night.

My question to yuo guys is....whats the best way to set this up?
    I seem to have bridge mode in my Thomson...at least the option is there and its not greyed out. WOuld i be better off setting back up the WNDR3700 as an access point again or set up DMZ in the Thomson ?
    Im assuming its "advanced/dmz host" is where i set that up in the Thomson.

What do you guys think ? WHat set up have you guys on xbox live and what works best for you?

Just to give a quick update on the xbox live set up on the Thomson router for anyone interested.

I set it up yesterday for xbox live doing the following:

1.Set up DMZ as the IP in my xbox.
    2. Portforwarded port 3074 for xbox live (it does this automatically when you select xbox live from the list. make sure you add in the DMX IP addy here too).

Its working awat fine since, no dropouts, no kickouts from xbox live etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sombaht

Hi,
    Is it possible to change the DNS entries on the new Thomson router? I know on the older EPC2425 they were hard-coded into the device and could not be altered say for use with OpenDNS?

Cheers,
    sombaht

• Advertisement

Just to give a quick update on the xbox live set up on the Thomson router for anyone interested.

I set it up yesterday for xbox live doing the following:

1.Set up DMZ as the IP in my xbox.
    2. Portforwarded port 3074 for xbox live (it does this automatically when you select xbox live from the list. make sure you add in the DMX IP addy here too).

Its working awat fine since, no dropouts, no kickouts from xbox live etc.

You don't need to forward any ports when using DMZ host.
    When your xbox is setup with it's ip as DMZ host, it's completely open to the internet.
    Using the port forwards aswell is overkill and could lead to conflicts.

Well i am on 100mb, 10mb upload, and have been since the 6th of May.
    I was informed of it too, beforehand.

Well i am on 100mb, 10mb upload, and have been since the 6th of May.
    I was informed of it too, beforehand.
    were you on the 100mbps trial rollout before the big re-launch then? new 100mbps customers since the re-launch are only getting 7mbps (officially, but unofficially some are getting more according to speedtests)

sombaht wrote: »
    Hi,
    Is it possible to change the DNS entries on the new Thomson router? I know on the older EPC2425 they were hard-coded into the device and could not be altered say for use with OpenDNS?

Cheers,
    sombaht

WHy dont you just change it on your pc?

You don't need to forward any ports when using DMZ host.
    When your xbox is setup with it's ip as DMZ host, it's completely open to the internet.
    Using the port forwards aswell is overkill and could lead to conflicts.

Had it set up this way before and never had a problem :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sombaht

WHy dont you just change it on your pc?

I do. But when there's 3 Pc, and an Xbox to alter, its just easier to do it at one central location. Safer as well as most users can disable the settings on the PC but are likely unable to do so on the router unless they have the password.

Cheers,
    sombaht

were you on the 100mbps trial rollout before the big re-launch then? new 100mbps customers since the re-launch are only getting 7mbps (officially, but unofficially some are getting more according to speedtests)

No i wasn't on a trial, although i was one of the first with 100mb.
    i got a letter from UPC beforehand saying the price was dropping and upload speed being upped to 10mb.
    It must be only a select few getting it.

Had it set up this way before and never had a problem :confused:

Fair enough, but the point is you don't need port forwarding as you've already opened up every port available by setting up a DMZ.

Fair enough, but the point is you don't need port forwarding as you've already opened up every port available by setting up a DMZ.

I have my DD-WRT router in the DMZ zone of said Thompson and STILL had to forward PPTP port (1723) from the Thompson to my own routers VPN server in order for it to accept connections.

I've done more port open tests using grc.com and can confirm that ports still need to be forwarded from the Thompson to the DMZ zone in order for them to show up as open.

I know I'm not the only one where this is the case... doesn't seem to be a 'real' DMZ zone! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

carbsy wrote: »
    I have my DD-WRT router in the DMZ zone of said Thompson and STILL had to forward PPTP port (1723) from the Thompson to my own routers VPN server in order for it to accept connections.

I've done more port open tests using grc.com and can confirm that ports still need to be forwarded from the Thompson to the DMZ zone in order for them to show up as open.

I know I'm not the only one where this is the case... doesn't seem to be a 'real' DMZ zone! :rolleyes:

Well of course you would, you're not using a direct connection to the xbox from your Thomson.

Advertisement