Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 100Mb now available

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

subway wrote: »
    callback received, seems to be a team who have been given clear instructions to make pre-empt any mental customers.
    lots of info about the router being wireless N so not to expect 100mb unless i upgrade my cards to N, not to expect 100mb on multiple machines at once, that 100mb needs a fast processor to receive.

fair play to them, its a new product so i'd say they are expecting lots of calls asking about it, followed by lots of support calls as to why it doesnt work...

offered an install this saturday, i changed it to monday morning so should be up and running in a few days :D

Lucky you!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 arden

The 80 euro connection charge, anyone know what this is for? Considering they can upgrade users without them knowing (in the AUP) it looks like the 80 euro is to cover the cost of the FREE router if ordered? Might be better to just keep going over the 250GB on the 30mb line to make them upgrade you to the 100mb line for free! ;)

Was thinking about ordering this too, today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

arden wrote: »
    The 80 euro connection charge, anyone know what this is for? Considering they can upgrade users without them knowing (in the AUP) it looks like the 80 euro is to cover the cost of the FREE router if ordered? Might be better to just keep going over the 250GB on the 30mb line to make them upgrade you to the 100mb line for free! ;)

Keep going over the 250gb limit and they will move you to their extreme package for 80euro which is still 30/3
    Id imagine the 80euro is to install the new router you need etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

not so easy afaik. pretty sure that if the do u[pgrade you to the extreme package they still charge you the upgrade fee anyway and then charge you to downgrade you again afterwards if you decide to stay within the 250gb going forward rather than pay the extra.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Does this mean that eircom will have to stop using the phrase "next generation broadband" since this completely wipes any service they are likely to offer in the foreseeable future ?

Not to mention that eircom's NGB is already a generation behind what is being rolled out on phone lines in the UK

Are UPC still due to test gigabit in the next six months ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

dub45 wrote: »
    why a reputable company should chose to display a charge in smaller and lighter type than the rest of the page?

Irrespective of what "exciting" products a company may offer it is not absolved from honesty and integrity.

Vodafone do it ,(and not even on the same page) .and no doubt every other provider also.,

Does this mean that eircom will have to stop using the phrase "next generation broadband" since this completely wipes any service they are likely to offer in the foreseeable future ?

Not to mention that eircom's NGB is already a generation behind what is being rolled out on phone lines in the UK

Are UPC still due to test gigabit in the next six months ?
    eircom should have stopped using the term "next generation" around the same time that star trek did! :pac:

afaik didn't ADSL2+ originally come out in 1996?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

The 80 euro connection charge, anyone know what this is for?

i doubt the current router could sustain 100mb while dealing with regular network traffic so would need to be upgraded to deal with that.
    the charge is most likely to cover the engineer call out as, going by the callback, they will probably be checking that you understand the limitations and definitely demonstrating the speed works on their laptop before signing off on the install

M.J.M.C wrote: »
    still 30/3

What do you mean by this?

What do you mean by this?

You said just keep going over the 250GB and they will upgrade you for free.

They won't - they will charge you 80euro a month and move you to their "extreme" package as they call it.
    It will still be 30Mb down and 3Mb up (30/3)

Sorry - hope that makes sense now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Awesome stuff and really puts eircom to shame. Next generation broadband me arse

cheers mjmc, makes sense now.

Might as well upgrade so ;) only thing is they won't do it without setting up a direct debit, I'm still paying by bank transfer (online banking) and I'd like to keep it that way ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭JonB

Any word on when the older packages will be upgraded? I wouldn't mind a free upgrade to a better speed :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

No usage limit*

VV leads to this VV

There is no monthly usage cap for Fibre Power Broadband 100Mb. All broadband services are subject to our acceptable usage policy.

VV leads to this VV

Your monthly data transfer allowance depends upon which broadband package you have selected. The data transfer allowances for the various packages are 120GB for Fibre Power Broadband 8Mb users and 250GB for Fibre Power Broadband 15Mb and 30Mb users and 500GB for Fibre Power Broadband 100Mb users.

Er, how is this legal? There is a 500GB usage limit on the package, it states it clearly in the terms and conditions, but these are buried in the site. How do they get away with claiming there is no usage limit?

Free Mars bar*

*costs 99c

@Wicknight
    slave1 wrote: »
    Jazuz, respectfully, moderator or no moderator is it possible to avoid this endless debacle of UPC's AUP and just talk about the 100Mb service.
    I want to know about stability and quality of line, everyone here must be sick to death of this stage hearing about the AUP debate, there's a separate thread on that...

What he said.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

vibe666 wrote: »
    there's no real confirmation of that yet though as far as i am aware. i don't know of anyone who' downloaded more than 500gb on the extreme package so far. its an open challenge tho if someone wants to have a shot at it. :D

I've downloaded well over 500Gb a few times on the extreme package.

I'd only upgrade to the 100Mb for the increased upload but I won't be paying 80 to plug in a new router.

Anyone know what the cost is for people already on the extreme package?
    I already pay 80 a month for my broadband.

I'd only upgrade to the 100Mb for the increased upload but I won't be paying 80 to plug in a new router.

To be fair to the lads mate there's a good bit more involved than this. Might just look like they are plugging in a box to the user but there's more to it behind the scenes id imagine. Still 80 is a bit steep. I'd give them 40 euro, a cuppa tea and a club milk. :D

Dying to hear the first review from someone with 100/7 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

To be fair to the lads mate there's a good bit more involved than this. Might just look like they are plugging in a box to the user but there's more to it behind the scenes id imagine. Still 80 is a bit steep. I'd give them 40 a cuppa tea and a club milk. :D

Dying to hear the first review from someone with 100/7 :D

Maybe but I'd have to take a day off work to wait for them. When I was getting installed I asked for morning install and they came at 4pm.

Behind the scenes at their office maybe with new settings, but they could just post out and we can plug in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

@Wicknight

What he said.....

:P Fair enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Just got a call back from UPC, They told me the 100mb is not available in my area(Dundrum) And probably wont be until Q1 2011.

I wonder how many areas are actually ready for 100mb line, I did see them putting fiber lines down about a year ago. Hmm guess i will be waiting until the new year for 100mb line!!

• Advertisement

I've downloaded well over 500Gb a few times on the extreme package.
    i wonder what they'll upgrade you to if you're on the 100mbps and go over the 500gb limit? an uber ultra mega extreme package for €160 and a pint and a half of fresh blood a month maybe? :pac:
    it's distinctly possible that because the upgrade from 30mbps to 100mbps includes a move from EuroDOCSIS2.0 to EuroDOCSIS3.0, that they may need to make some changes at the head end (similar to when moving from ADSL to ADSL2+) as well as changing your modem (and possibly your internal wiring or the box on the wall).
    Anyone know what the cost is for people already on the extreme package?
    I already pay 80 a month for my broadband.
    just the 80 quid upgrade fee i would imagine.

i wonder if they will be doing a modem only install for those of us who have our own routers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Irrespective of what "exciting" products a company may offer it is not absolved from honesty and integrity.
    I think 100Mb rates as beyond 'exciting'.:D But these are the type of comments that you usually direct at UPC, but, strangely, never at Eircom.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭rob808

Virgin Media has taken its 100Mbps service live now in four parts of the country.The roll-out will continue across the Virgin Media cable network during 2011 with completion set for 2012, at which point almost half the UK will have the option for a 100Meg service at a reasonable price point. The 10Meg upstream speed is respectable, and given powerful enough video encoding solutions would allow someone at home to transmit video at current HD TV levels. The 100Mbps product costs £45 a month on own.well it good UPC bring Ireland in line with UK in terms of speed.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Freddie59 wrote: »
    I think 100Mb rates as beyond 'exciting'.:D But these are the type of comments that you usually direct at UPC, but, strangely, never at Eircom.:rolleyes:

Is there some sort of requirement "somewhere" that if someone criticises UPC (or more correctly points out their continuing practise of attempting to deceive customers and would be customers - which thankfully more and more people on boards are becoming aware of) that one has to criticise Eircom?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Can anyone explain why UPC print the "once off cost of €80" in very light grey? Is that a sort of "whisper" in the hope that potential customers might not notice it?

Why is up front honesty so hard for them?

What are you talking about? The font and print are EXACTLY the same as the rest of the description???? If you are going to try and nit pick tbh its falling on deaf ears - at the very least try not to just make s**t up that can be proved wrong with a click. :rolleyes:

See attachment

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

hightower1 wrote: »
    What are you talking about? The font and print are EXACTLY the same as the rest of the description????

See attachment

http://www.upc.ie/broadband/hundred/

And????... :confused::confused::confused::confused:

In fact here are screen caps of three major ISP's "high speed" broadband product pages...
    I cant see any mention of a connection fee on their description ...

so not only were you out and out wrong saying UPC have their connection fee in lighter font than the rest of the description you also neglected the fact that NO OTHER ISP even shows a connection fee in their description main screen let alone in any slightly lighter font

hightower1 wrote: »
    What are you talking about? The font and print are EXACTLY the same as the rest of the description????
    you're late, where have you been all day? :)

it was in a small light grey font earlier as dub45 already said, both smaller and lighter than the current bit about the €7.75 no tv surcharge BUT now they've changed it.

I guess they do watch the forum after all. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭kingofslaves

OK I called UPC about 6 weeks ago and ordered the 30mb service, the phone and HD+ TV. I was given a price of €85 a month for the HD+ without the movies, phone with the anytime world add on and wireless router. So I took it. I did have to pay €60 to have the cable box put in and the HD+ box, but that would have been more if I ordered it online.

I called them and said I didn't need the anytime world add on as get free calls to landlines on the mobiles and we hardly ever call outside ireland. I was told it would cost me €10 to downgrade. But was told the price I was paying (€85) was a deal and technically the anytime add on was free !

I get about 22 - 24Mb/s which is much faster than my old smart service. So I am happy, but how much do you think I would have to pay if I went to the 100Mb service ? or is it worth seeing if they upgrade existing customers as a xmas pressie ! :)

• Advertisement

vibe666 wrote: »
    you're late, where have you been all day? :)

it was in a small light grey font earlier as dub45 already said, both smaller and lighter than the current bit about the €7.75 no tv surcharge BUT now they've changed it.

I guess they do watch the forum after all. :)

Suuuuuuuuurrrrreeeee they have changed it NOW?! ;):D

Seriously though, even if it WAS in grey instead of black it would still be an up front statement of a connection fee ...... something which none of the other big players even do.

Looking forward to my own install coming up next week. :)

Advertisement