Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 100Mb now available

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Your all Bastards!!! I can't get it in my area(Dundrum), Until Q1 of 2011!! So not fair!! was looking forward to it for Christmas!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

dubtom wrote: »
    A question if I may to any UPC 30 meg users. They just recently upgraded the lines in my area so it will be available soon. I'm with Eircom,an 8 meg, lots of router red lights and congestion, it's drives me bonkers. Does UPC's service suffer the same crap?
    for the most part no. most people seem to be getting close to the advertised speeds at off-peak times, but most of us would lose some of that during peak hours which is to be expected.

it's still plenty fast tho, and if it isn't just keep complaining and eventually they (usually) give you a discount until its fixed. :)
    Thor wrote: »
    Your all Bastards!!! I can't get it in my area(Dundrum), Until Q1 of 2011!! So not fair!! was looking forward to it for Christmas!!
    me neither. it sucks big fat hairy monkey balls, but at least now there's a light at the end of the tunnel and we know its coming.

we'll just wait and let these suckers do all the beta testing so its working properly by the time we can get it in the new year. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭e-sull

vibe666 wrote: »
    for the most part no. most people seem to be getting close to the advertised speeds at off-peak times, but most of us would lose some of that during peak hours which is to be expected.

it's still plenty fast tho, and if it isn't just keep complaining and eventually they (usually) give you a discount until its fixed. :)

me neither. it sucks big fat hairy monkey balls, but at least now there's a light at the end of the tunnel and we know its coming.

we'll just wait and let these suckers do all the beta testing so its working properly by the time we can get it in the new year. :D

... meanwhile out in the sticks, here i am getting all excited over seeing 2Mb coming up on my o2 Globesurfer...!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 RandomPerson13

1066475007.png

Wireless

1066475831.png

Wired

Nice one!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

1066475007.png

Wireless

1066475831.png

Wired

Nice one!!

I may have thanked this but I really hate your soul right now :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

1066475007.png

Wireless

1066475831.png

Wired

Nice one!!

Can I borrow a cup of internet?

Liamario wrote: »
    Can I borrow a bukkit of internet?
    FYP :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 TheMastero

Has anyone been got the 100mb package yet?

I just rang UPC to upgrade from my 30mb pack to the 100mb :cool:
    but i was told it will be a few weeks yet before i can be upgraded
    damint ha:mad:

Still 10MB/s soon w00t w00t :D:D:D:D

TheMastero wrote: »
    Has anyone been got the 100mb package yet?
    yes, 5 posts up. :rolleyes:

yes, 5 posts up. :rolleyes:

vibe them speedtests are a joke there NEVER right
    im on 30mb was often told i was getting something
    lyc. 200mb but it changes everytime i test there.

best way to test ur max speed is get a good torrent
    from a good torrent site with a lot of seeds and let
    it fly... i get 3MB/s all the time... better still is usenet
    always get my MAX speed downloading from a newsgrp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

So can assume with a 30 meg,I'll still get congestion at peak, but not the red lights and time outs given the greater speed.
    Please say yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,516 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

any ideas what they will upgrade the lower 15mb and 30mb's to if they are charging more and releasing the new 100mb service?
    also is there a usage monitor like the one eircom has?

vibe them speedtests are a joke there NEVER right
    im on 30mb was often told i was getting something
    lyc. 200mb but it changes everytime i test there.

best way to test ur max speed is get a good torrent
    from a good torrent site with a lot of seeds and let
    it fly... i get 3MB/s all the time... better still is usenet
    always get my MAX speed downloading from a newsgrp
    not my speedtests, no point giving out to me about it. all you asked was if anyone had gotten it yet without actually bothering to read as far as 5 posts up and i pointed it out to you.

and torrenting isn't a great way to test because its too unreliable by its very nature. probably more unreliable than any speedtest site given the huge number of variables.

newsgroups yes, maybe, but you can't beat multiple large ftp transfers from different FTP servers though to do it properly, particularly as not everyone has premium newsgroup access.
    dubtom wrote: »
    So can assume with a 30 meg,I'll still get congestion at peak, but not the red lights and time outs given the greater speed.
    Please say yes.
    maybe. what red lights?
    Skerries wrote: »
    any ideas what they will upgrade the lower 15mb and 30mb's to if they are charging more and releasing the new 100mb service?
    also is there a usage monitor like the one eircom has?
    nobody knows so far, but i imagine they will wait until they have 100mbps rolled out everywhere before they start messing with the existing packages. and no, no usage monitor, you'll need to download one for you PC or get a router with traffic monitoring built in if you have multiple pc's & consoles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Captain Commie

Thanks for the heads up.

Im currently on the FibreRapid bundle with the 30MB BB, anyone else on that package that has upgraded? what they charging extra to upgrade, would be nice but if too much then gonna leave it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

innovated wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads up.

Im currently on the FibreRapid bundle with the 30MB BB, anyone else on that package that has upgraded? what they charging extra to upgrade, would be nice but if too much then gonna leave it

The current modems we have will not do 100Mb you need a modem that can do channel banding downloading from 4 different channels at once.

If you go for 100Mb UPC has to call out and install the new modem.

Ranicand wrote: »
    The current modems we have will not do 100Mb you need a modem that can do channel banding downloading from 4 different channels at once.

If you go for 100Mb UPC has to call out and install the new modem.
    does anyone know for sure if there's anything more to do other than install the modem? all the other packages have a self install option for a tenner, so 80 quid is pretty steep. it's almost like they're trying to put people off getting it.

you'd have to assume that there's something going on at the head end too if they're charging 80 quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

maybe. what red lights?
    Sorry,assumed everyone knows about the red light on my router,:o
    basically the green 'internet' light on the router turns red and I lose connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Is there a usb N dongle provided as part of the installation per their website or does user have to supply this?

Network Device WiFi connection: WiFi 802.11n also called "N Class" 9(or WiFi dongle and drivers provided)

Did ask them why can the user not install this rather than having a technician do it and was told they check PC's to see if installed correctly :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

you'd have to assume that there's something going on at the head end too if they're charging 80 quid.

CPE is far from free. Odds are UPC are paying a fair amount for each of the new modem/routers that they're deploying - possibly a fair bit more than the €80 that they're charging customers.

It might also help to suppress initial demand, helping them to bed in systems for this deployment and iron out the kinks before 50,000 orders for it come through.

not my speedtests, no point giving out to me about it. all you asked was if anyone had gotten it yet without actually bothering to read as far as 5 posts up and i pointed it out to you.

and torrenting isn't a great way to test because its too unreliable by its very nature. probably more unreliable than any speedtest site given the huge number of variables.

newsgroups yes, maybe, but you can't beat multiple large ftp transfers from different FTP servers though to do it properly, particularly as not everyone has premium newsgroup access.
    maybe. what red lights?
    nobody knows so far, but i imagine they will wait until they have 100mbps rolled out everywhere before they start messing with the existing packages. and no, no usage monitor, you'll need to download one for you PC or get a router with traffic monitoring built in if you have multiple pc's & consoles.

Bro i was not giving out to you lol :confused::confused::confused:

anyway ya ur right k ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

so 80 quid is pretty steep. it's almost like they're trying to put people off getting it.

This maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 lovethymac

8 weeks as a tester in Limerick and my average speed from most speedtest servers is 90+mb..

Nice neat Thomson unit with good networking features.
    Use torrents a lot and VPN etc. for work and a little gaming and so far no issue's.
    Had an issue at the start which was resolved with a software upgrade but to be honest its seems bullet proof so far..

All i can say is UPC seem to be leading the way in BB as not so long ago i had 6mb DSL from Esat and was hoping for the 12mb upgrade ???

What a joke that was and it seems we have just jumped in a time machine to reach a 100mb....Not too sure what i'll do with the 100mb but i'm sure i'll find something to do do with it...

Just under 70mb wireless so be careful that your wireless card is an N series card... I have tweeked my settings and the Thomsom settings and this is the best i can get for sure and from reading online accounts in other countries this seems to be the limit of the Thomson wireless chip so don't hope for 100mb wirelessly :-)

Obviously i understand fully that any cable fault in my area results in sh*te service and slow/no speeds but that is never happened to me so far and i'm now 3 years with UPC.

BTW i have read all the pages in this thread and as its meant to be discussing 100mb service from UPC i see a lot of typical bullsh*t comments about the company and the website and the AUP but come on we are all intelligent people here don't take the piss on download and you'll never hear from them ?????? Also discuss the issue as posted not all types of waffle about font size ffs :-)

6 pages later and i'm baffled by what some peeps are takin about :confused:

If i can help anyone with info let me know..

Now back to me super speeds and multiple downloads...Using all Mac BTW and no issues with DNS as i see on other threads...

L8r ..
    LTM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

So fast it double posts for you....

• Registered Users Posts: 7 lovethymac

Kev. wrote: »
    So fast it double posts for you....

Ha ha ha very good Kev this is a real issue though :p

Maybe i'll gibve 40mb back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭freekhead

im assuming this is only available in the Republic of Dublin atm? Any idea on when it hits dundalk?

Moriarty wrote: »
    CPE is far from free. Odds are UPC are paying a fair amount for each of the new modem/routers that they're deploying - possibly a fair bit more than the €80 that they're charging customers.

It might also help to suppress initial demand, helping them to bed in systems for this deployment and iron out the kinks before 50,000 orders for it come through.
    it's still a chunk more than the other packages install costs so i figured maybe they're doing some magic behind the scenes to make it all happen. :)
    Bro i was not giving out to you lol :confused::confused::confused:

anyway ya ur right k ffs.
    apologies then, its just the way it came across.
    grizzly wrote: »
    investing millions in infrastructure and rolling out the first true next gen broadband in ireland seems like it might not be the best way to make 80 quid off someone for an installation fee. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭bestie

If anyone has the 100mb package and using a netbook aka 1.6 atom or newer dual-core atoms, can they give feedback. Are speeds topping off around 70mb+ using N of course

Also from reading various posts, the only way to get the full 100mb is a gigabit ethernet card on a 2ghz cpu min + 2gb ram enabled pc/laptop connecting directly to router?

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

bestie wrote: »
    If anyone has the 100mb package and using a netbook aka 1.6 atom or newer dual-core atoms, can they give feedback. Are speeds topping off around 70mb+ using N of course

Also from reading various posts, the only way to get the full 100mb is a gigabit ethernet card on a 2ghz cpu min + 2gb ram enabled pc/laptop connecting directly to router?

thanks

This random person came close unwired...
    1066475007.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Just of the phone with UPC they do supply the usb dongle for those who do not have a N card. Ordered a wireless N card on ebay but they are coming this Saturday to install.
    If anyone has any questions for the installer let me know and I will try to ask them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

1069038388.png
    wireless (g) intel atom 1.6 writing to 32gB runcore ssd

1069041655.png
    wired (cat5) athlon 2800 writing to 3 disk raid 0 (250gB 7.2k sata)

1069049266.png
    wired (cat6) AMD phenom II X4 945 writing to single 500gB 7.2k sata

install is just replacement of modem and a few phone calls.

Advertisement