Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 100Mb now available

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

1069127075.png

Wireless (g) htc desire writing to class 6 8gb micro sdhc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

subway wrote: »
    1069038388.png
    wireless (g) intel atom 1.6 writing to 32gB runcore ssd

1069041655.png
    wired (cat5) athlon 2800 writing to 3 disk raid 0 (250gB 7.2k sata)

1069049266.png
    wired (cat6) AMD phenom II X4 945 writing to single 500gB 7.2k sata

install is just replacement of modem and a few phone calls.

I hate you subway!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭sector

Not available in Lucan yet, sniff sniff lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭Mech1

Just phoned sales there at about 9pm, 10 min on hold, 100mb is available to me in Woodstown Village Knocklyon D16.

Sales guy told me that I would receive a phone call tomorrow to organize installation etc.

Also told me that the installation fee would be added to my bill, not payable to installer and that no problem without direct debit as we have never payed by that before. (we do as ever get charged the €3 non dd charge of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Sprrratt

Anyone got any idea when Beaumont will get any sort of broadband from UPC?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭Mech1

http://www.upc.ie/broadband/hundred/

check the "what do I need" tab.

The link above for 100mb says min req = windows 7 or higher

surely not?

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭sector

Mech1 wrote: »
    http://www.upc.ie/broadband/hundred/

check the "what do I need" tab.

The link above for 100mb says min req = windows 7 or higher

surely not?

you can ignore that. Just a mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭bestie

1069038388.png
    wireless (g) intel atom 1.6 writing to 32gB runcore ssd

1069041655.png
    wired (cat5) athlon 2800 writing to 3 disk raid 0 (250gB 7.2k sata)

1069049266.png

nice stats, the difference with cat6 is something else.

awaiting results of a netbook with atom n wifi card - i cross my fingers :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Anyone have any info as to when it arrives in Cork?

When I get though, the nieghbours better now steal some from me. Or else i'll be out with the shotgun. Or possibly send them a screamer over the connection.

I'll test tomorrow wired for you. The chip is definitely a limiting factor but not sure how much the runcore has to do with it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 ConorHughes

1069049266.png

Random question here, how can I get my hands on a cat6 cable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

bestie wrote: »
    nice stats, the difference with cat6 is something else.
    you don't need cat6 and it won't be making ANY difference whatsoever to your 100mbps internet connection.

cat5e will do 10/100/1000Mbps just fine and is a lot more common and likely a lot more easy to get hold of.

that said, there's no reason NOT to use it, just don't go out looking for cat6 thinking nothing else will do the job.

chances are, if you work in any kind of office or know someone who does, the IT guys there will have plenty of spare cat5e patch leads laying around that they won't mind giving you if you ask nicely.

if you're really stuck then maplins, pc world, peats or any kind of pc type shop will have plenty for sale, although you'll pay through the nose for them.

not to mention that speedtest.net isn't exactly famous for being accurate even at 30mbps, i would be surprised if its at all reliable at 100mbps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Well extremely interested in this , put off by these two things

1, 80€ install which I know I can do myself. And would rather do myself, as I want it installed in my bedroom which is kinda private. But €80 , only one in the house to use the internet. So only right that I pay the fee and bill.

2, Am looking to not only upgrade the broadband (currently with smart) but also my television service too the new HD+ set top box's (have two of the old NTL ones which keep freezing and acting up) . So going to hold off until I can get a bundle/some sort of deal with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭bestie

What is the general difference between category 5e and category 6?

The general difference between category 5e and category 6 is in the transmission performance, and extension of the available bandwidth from 100 MHz for category 5e to 200 MHz for category 6. This includes better insertion loss, near end crosstalk (NEXT), return loss, and equal level far end crosstalk (ELFEXT). These improvements provide a higher signal-to-noise ratio, allowing higher reliability for current applications and higher data rates for future applications.

What does category 6 do for my current network vs. category 5e?

Because of its improved transmission performance and superior immunity from external noise, systems operating over category 6 cabling will have fewer errors vs. category 5e for current applications. This means fewer re-transmissions of lost or corrupted data packets under certain conditions, which translates into higher reliability for category 6 networks compared to category 5e networks

i'd go with cat6

i'd go with cat6
    seriously, it's going to make zero difference in real world applications for a 100mbits broadband connection.

I have two cat5e cables connected to a gigabit switch sitting next to me. one end connected to my PC, the other to my NAS. if i copy a file from theb SSD on my PC to the share on my NAS, i can get around 60-65MB/sec sustained transfer between them. that's MegaBytes, not Megabits (480mbit/s if you're interested).

if you still think cat6 is going to make a difference to your 100mbits broadband then knock yourself out, but all you're going to be doing is spending more money for exactly the same results.

like i said though, there's no real reason not to get cat6 if it's available, but don't waste your money on it if you don't need to.

if you buy it in the wrong place, you could end up spending 4 times as much, or more.

nice stats, the difference with cat6 is something else
    seriously, it's going to make zero difference in real world applications for a 100mbits broadband connection.
    cat5 (not cat5e) can only do 100mbps max so it will have a difference on 100mbps broadband (as above)
    i know you know that, but i just want to clarify my earlier speedtests

trying to get full 100mbps speed across a 100mbps network is optimistic :) there is internal overheard etc that is going to eat into your bandwith.
    not to mention if there is other traffic on your network at the same time.

the only reason i have cat5 / cat6 combo instead of cat5e is that i had a few rolls of cat5 lying around when i wired up the house temporarily (whihc had become semi permanent due to lack of need for the extra b/w until now) and the new router came with a 4ft cat6 so i was able to test the difference between 100mbps/1000mbps on one of the closer machines
    not to mention that speedtest.net isn't exactly famous for being accurate even at 30mbps, i would be surprised if its at all reliable at 100mbps

those speeds are failry reflective of what i am ablt to sustain on a download, is there any other test you would like me to run here?

jesus, i didn't think anyone actually had any of the older cat5 any more, it didn't even occur to me that it wouldn't be cat5e.

fair enough so in your particular case but most people would have a job actually finding it now, so my previous statement about cat5e versus cat6 still holds true.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I networked the house during the summer and Cat-6 was the same price as Cat5-E for a 300M spool....even if the price was different I was going for Cat6 for future proofing given the amount of data/video I distribute around the house, €55 for 305M IIRC

Dug out the ebay seller, this guy

slave1 wrote: »
    I networked the house during the summer and Cat-6 was the same price as Cat5-E for a 300M spool....even if the price was different I was going for Cat6 for future proofing given the amount of data/video I distribute around the house, €55 for 305M IIRC
    i actually ran cat6 outside my house and along a gutter between my two gigabit switches (one downstairs next to my router, ps3 & htpc and one upstairs with my nas & other pc's), but as with yourself it was for more for future proofing and not wanting to have to run it again if/when faster consumer grade networking gear came out.

i guess the price has come down since i last looked at it too.

i have a feeling you're going to be very busy crimping some more cat6 very soon to get rid of those bottlenecks. ;):D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

So this morning 2 people from sierra showed up and did the installation.

They got a new cable into my house to where I wanted it in no time.

Than we had to wait 30 minutes until the people in the office sorted out the activation.

A load of information about the PC itself (cpu, ram, network cards, os) and the downlink/uplink noise level were required to get that done.

Now I have a nice line with my UPC sponsored test tells me give me

LAN Cable (Cat 5e)

Down 105.69 Mbps
    Up 7.61 Mbps

WiFi (MacBook Air)

Down 62.99 Mbps
    Up 6.93 Mbps

My download from rapidshare premium just had an average of 12 MB/s.

I do some more testing after I have configured the router as I want (different WLAN settings etc.).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Down 105.69 Mbps
    Up 7.61 Mbps

WiFi (MacBook Air)

Down 62.99 Mbps
    Up 6.93 Mbps

My download from rapidshare premium just had an average of 12 MB/s.

seems like UPC was right on the spot when they said your average (via cable) will be 100mbps. most people seem to be getting just over to compensate. fair play UPC.

"had an average of 12 MB/s" :eek::eek::D:cool:

welcome ireland, back to first world BB speeds!!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 arden

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    seems like UPC was right on the spot when they said your average (via cable) will be 100mbps. most people seem to be getting just over to compensate. fair play UPC.

"had an average of 12 MB/s" :eek::eek::D:cool:

welcome ireland, back to first world BB speeds!!

Wait untill more users get the 100mb connection, it might start going down then!

Na, to be honest, on the 30mb line I usually get the 30mb speeds, atleast 80% of the time anyway. UPC are by far the best isp I've had.

Getting the 100mb line installed tomorrow morning! heh ;)

I can still remember my joy when I upgraded my 14.4k modem to a spanking new 28.8k (or whatever it was) and the huge difference it made...now we're at 100Mb...

arden wrote: »
    Wait untill more users get the 100mb connection, it might start going down then!

Na, to be honest, on the 30mb line I usually get the 30mb speeds, atleast 80% of the time anyway. UPC are by far the best isp I've had.

Getting the 100mb line installed tomorrow morning! heh ;)
    im on the 15mb line and get between 13-19! my torrents often reach 1.75mbps with torrents. :) . would love 100mbps but im the only one in the house who'd use it, and studets dont like to pay for something they dont get...

I can still remember my joy when I upgraded my 14.4k modem to a spanking new 28.8k (or whatever it was) and the huge difference it made...now we're at 100Mb...
    its all baby steps, slowly but surely getting us to the point where we're going to jam fibre cables directly into our brains. :pac:

i actually remember the first time i switched from using BBS's to actually getting on the internet. now THAT was a revelation!

then there was the switch from 56k to dual channel 64k ISDN. just having that option to kick in the second line to speed up the download was the most amazing thing ever. :D

i figured how to hack my ol mans 28.8k modem to turn off the dial up noise it made back in the day. (or turn it twice as loud when i knew he was gonna use it!!)

i actually miss that noise now..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Not available in Clontarf (Dublin) just yet :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

i'd go with cat6
    cat5 (not cat5e) can only do 100mbps max so it will have a difference on 100mbps broadband (as above)

A good Cat 5 cable can do gigabit (the problems would be due to age and damage and cheapo cables)
    to dumb it down a bit Cat 5 e is just cat 5 that can through two patch panels instead of one. Cat5 e is the same price as cat 5e so a no brainer

There is no point in going cat 6 unless all the equipment and cabling points are wired and terminated to cat 6 standard, you may actually be better off getting shielded cat 5e

Is the new router 10/100 or gigabit ??

• Advertisement

Is the new router 10/100 or gigabit ??
    its gigabit on LAN & WAN ports according to the spec sheet.

Advertisement