Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 100Mb now available

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

They got a new cable into my house to where I wanted it in no time.

Is there an extra cost to ask them to put the cable in another location?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

A good Cat 5 cable can do gigabit (the problems would be due to age and damage and cheapo cables)
    to dumb it down a bit Cat 5 e is just cat 5 that can through two patch panels instead of one. Cat5 e is the same price as cat 5e so a no brainer

There is no point in going cat 6 unless all the equipment and cabling points are wired and terminated to cat 6 standard, you may actually be better off getting shielded cat 5e

Is the new router 10/100 or gigabit ??

thats interesting, i'm not a networking person but most stuff i read online suggests cat5 is only rated up to 100mb. the current run is ~10metres, loosely routed through the walls. the cable is decent quality, but nothing special from what i can tell.

the new router is gigabit.
    just need to run 2 lengths of ~10metres cat "x" to get everything up to gigabit.

what would you suggest i run, given costs, future proofing etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

cat5 is rated for 100mb and Cat5e is rated for 100mb but can carry up to 1 gigabit but its at its limit doing so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Stokolan wrote: »
    cat5 is rated for 100mb and Cat5e is rated for 100mb but can carry up to 1 gigabit but its at its limit doing so.
    A good Cat 5 cable can do gigabit

your doing this just to confuse me, right? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭John2009

Not available in my area yet or Cork in general until the new year maybe february or march,
    tech support told me that the network here is fully upgraded and some technical test have been carried out but have more to do yet before its released to the Cork market,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Not available in west Dublin 15 yet..
    u r so lucky guys !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

What the latest the UPC techs come out at?
    Or do they work Saturdays?

Tempted to upgrade since I'm already on the €80 extreme package but I'm not going to take a day of work for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

M.J.M.C wrote: »
    Is there an extra cost to ask them to put the cable in another location?

Nope, all included in your installation charge.

The installers were actualy quite good, they put in a new whatever they do in the underground box on the street and than laid a new cable from the ground up to my office on the 1st floor on the outside, drilled a nice whole and put the box where I wanted it.

They pointed out that because nothing else is on that line I should not have interference and that the old point I had will still have TV if wish to use it.
    Is the new router 10/100 or gigabit ??

The 4 LAN ports are Giga.
    There is no Wan port in the sense of an network cable, it's a special cable like with the old modem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

subway wrote: »
    your doing this just to confuse me, right? :)
    yes and no. ;)

vanilla cat5 is only *rated* at 100mbps, but, like any other cable there's good quality cat5 & bad quality cat5.

the 100mbps rating signifies that (when properly terminated) it will work at that speed at distances of anything up to 100m.

the el cheapo cat5 will likely only do 100mbps but good quality cat5 that's still in decent condition with no kinks or anything in it will quite often manage 1000mbps over shorter distances, even though its technically only rated at 100mbps.

a basic cable tester will only cost a couple of quid and will tell you if the cable is working or not and that's about it, but the more expensive ones will actually test the cable properly, give you a pretty accurate reading of the length and tell you what speeds it is capable of.
    The 4 LAN ports are Giga.
    There is no Wan port in the sense of an network cable, it's a special cable like with the old modem.
    oops,my bad! sorry my brain isn't working at full speed today, i'm pretty heavily medicated thanks to a slipped disc. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

rolion wrote: »
    Not available in west Dublin 15 yet..
    u r so lucky guys !!

Whereabouts are you pal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,223 ✭✭✭digiman

I rang and was told that it wasnt available in the Waterville area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

vibe666 wrote: »
    yes and no. ;)

vanilla cat5 is only *rated* at 100mbps, but, like any other cable there's good quality cat5 & bad quality cat5.

What a load of rubbish. Cat5 and Cat5e are cable standards.

Do a bit of reading before spouting that crap.

http://www.connectworld.net/syscon/support.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Kev. wrote: »
    Whereabouts are you pal
    I'm in West Dublin, Dublin 15 as well. The Castleknock area to be precise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

What a load of rubbish. Cat5 and Cat5e are cable standards.

Do a bit of reading before spouting that crap.

http://www.connectworld.net/syscon/support.htm

???

What do you mean cable standards, I do believe Vibe666 stated that cat5 is rated at 100mbps which is exactly right.

There is a big difference between cat5 and cat5e so they both can't be standard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

100Mb download is all well and good but is there any actual legit usage or need for it at all ? Considering the 500GB limit imposed, anyone actually switching to 100Mb and that will use it to it's fullest, will probably hit the 500GB limit in no time at all so it seems pretty pointless.

In fairness, I've also found no legit usage for the 30Mb offering either and apart from all that, the erratic latencies for some online gaming at times makes it all pretty much worthless, apart from speedtest signature bragging :rolleyes:

Remove or at least double the ridiculous 500Gb limit and also remove silly restrictions like UPC not allowing you to use VPN's and it might be worthwhile but I still don't see any legit reason for a home user to need 100Mb broadband, or even 30Mb (what I currently have) for that matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,484 ✭✭✭Nollog

Some people are graphic designers, architects etc.
    The files they use can get gigantic.

If you say that's a business use - some people like to work at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Nehaxak wrote: »
    100Mb download is all well and good but is there any actual legit usage or need for it at all ?

<snip>

In fairness, I've also found no legit usage for the 30Mb offering either and apart from all that, the erratic latencies for some online gaming at times makes it all pretty much worthless, apart from speedtest signature bragging :rolleyes:

What's all this "legit" mallarkey?

People are looking for a product. We don't need an ethics committee querying the need for it.

If you have no need for it, don't buy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

latencies are ok for me on most games I play - where there are issues it does tend to be the game itself that causes the issues in 1 way or another - i.e. COD which uses p2p serving...
    Remove or at least double the ridiculous 500Gb limit and also remove silly restrictions like UPC not allowing you to use VPN's and it might be worthwhile but I still don't see any legit reason for a home user to need 100Mb broadband, or even 30Mb (what I currently have) for that matter.
    So 30Mb speed isn't a legit use, but 500Gb of data is?!
    And your saying you have 30Mb, but you don't have a legit reason - so does that mean you use your 30Mb illegitimately?

I am a home user and I legally/legitimately make good use of my 30Mb speeds, as well as 200GB of download/upload a month. If you don't then please don't assume that we're all like you.

I use VPN all the time on UPC - so not sure where you're going with that one either...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

So have any of you got the 100MB service?

I got eaten alive for suggesting this last time, but I cant see any real world usage for even a high bandwidth home user for this amount of bandwidth.

Are any of you even approaching using it to its capability? Or is it something you will grow into? In that case why pay for it now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

CiaranC wrote: »
    So have any of you got the 100MB service?

I got eaten alive for suggesting this last time, but I cant see any real world usage for even a high bandwidth home user for this amount of bandwidth.

Are any of you even approaching using it to its capability? Or is it something you will grow into? In that case why pay for it now?
    If you have 100mb broadband at home overwireless for example you could have 3-4 or more users that is split between each device so everyone is getting around 25-30mb/s so it is a big help for multitasking then there is video streaming you can rent movie's from ITunes or like me you can download a digital copy of your movie when you buy the blu-ray version (which is really handy when I take my laptop on trains or airplanes) there is also the fact that increased bandwitdh leads to programs which use this increasing speed as they say
    Andy speeds them up and Bill slows them down

Which is a nod toward the symbiotic relationship between Intel and microsoft every time Intel speed up there chips microsofts software becomes more complex and slows them down.

At the moment there aren't too many programs that will use the full bandwitdh but they will increase dramatically as 100mb becomes more widely available and it won't be untill then that they increase the 500GB cap/FUP

• Advertisement

If you have 100mb broadband at home overwireless for example you could have 3-4 or more users that is split between each device so everyone is getting around 25-30mb/s so it is a big help for multitasking then there is video streaming you can rent movie's from ITunes or like me you can download a digital copy of your movie when you buy the blu-ray version (which is really handy when I take my laptop on trains or airplanes) there is also the fact that increased bandwitdh leads to programs which use this increasing speed as they say
    Andy speeds them up and Bill slows them down

Which is a nod toward the symbiotic relationship between Intel and microsoft every time Intel speed up there chips microsofts software becomes more complex and slows them down.

At the moment there aren't too many programs that will use the full bandwitdh but they will increase dramatically as 100mb becomes more widely available and it won't be untill then that they increase the 500GB cap/FUP
    I see the advantages if you live in a shared house alright yeah. Was more thinking of the single user. Dont think there are any streaming services available that would require anything like these speeds though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

CiaranC wrote: »
    I see the advantages if you live in a shared house alright yeah. Was more thinking of the single user. Dont think there are any streaming services available that would require anything like these speeds though?

If you purchase a HD video from itunes/zune marketplace you will appreciate that you have a 100 line. Your video is ready to view in no time.

DemoniK wrote: »
    So 30Mb speed isn't a legit use, but 500Gb of data is?!
    And your saying you have 30Mb, but you don't have a legit reason - so does that mean you use your 30Mb illegitimately?

English please.
    No I don't use my 30Mb line to the full, in fact I'd be lucky to ever need anything more than around 5Mb really and I have 6 devices using the internet at home on a regular basis every day (which is probably already breaking UPC's T&C's as it is). There is no legit use that I can see even for the 30Mb speeds on a regular basis, nevermind 100Mb.

I'm merely asking the question which I'd like someone to answer - What are the legitimate uses for a home user for a 100Mb line from UPC - taking into consideration all of their terms and conditions not withstanding what is and is not illegal anyway and their 500GB hidden cap imposed.

I see no great big jump in need for the vast majority of users who are already on a fast broadband connection and using the full speeds on a consistent basis for legit uses.

While I understand there might be exceptions to that in regards a user working from home maybe and downloading large files occasionally for work related use - those users are few and far between.
    I am a home user and I legally/legitimately make good use of my 30Mb speeds, as well as 200GB of download/upload a month. If you don't then please don't assume that we're all like you.

I didn't assume anything, but answer the question specifically, how exactly do you utilise your current 30Mb connection speed legitimately ?
    I use VPN all the time on UPC - so not sure where you're going with that one either...

Using VPN is against UPC's T&C's - they're well within their rights, as stated in their small print, to ask you to stop using it and you must comply.

I use VPN myself for some gaming for lower pings and I couldn't care less what UPC thinks.

The only reasons I see for the need for a 100Mb connection on a regular basis is for illegal use in one way or another, whether that be downloading films, tv shows, ISO's, using VPN to watch shows/films in another country (even BBC iplayer for example) or whatever else people really and honestly use their fast connections for (I won't mention torrents as they're heavily shaped on UPC anyway and pointless to bother with any more).

Honestly, someone please point out legit uses for a 100Mb or even a 30Mb line, so I can use my own to the fullest, without breaking any laws or UPC's T&C's - There's only so many game demo's and linux ISO's I can download to make myself feel better about it.

To me & with all due respect, no one has to justify why they want or what they will do with a service to you. It's straying off topic and it's a seperate thread imo.

Could someone post the new router model number (those that have had it installed)

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

M.J.M.C wrote: »
    To me & with all due respect, no one has to justify why they want or what they will do with a service to you. It's straying off topic and it's a seperate thread imo.

Could someone post the new router model number (those that have had it installed)

Cheers

Was posted awhile back already, The model number is Thompson TWG870U

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Honestly, someone please point out legit uses for a 100Mb or even a 30Mb line, so I can use my own to the fullest, without breaking any laws or UPC's T&C's - There's only so many game demo's and linux ISO's I can download to make myself feel better about it.

why do you need people to show you why you need 100mb? if you have no use for 100mb don't buy it.

I do agree to a point that 99.99999% of people have no use for the current speeds or caps legit or otherwise. You can only watch so many films/listen to so much music etc, some people just want to download the internet and leave it sitting on disks and it never gets touched.

but if you personaly have no use for it, save your few quid and get a slower connection.

I've questioned people before on cap's but it was more out of curiosity, as I wish I had as much time as they had :)

but this is probably the wrong place for the BB police.

Too many of you getting all defensive to my question - it's not the point.
    I am interested in getting 100Mb myself but I am asking people if there is any legit use of that 100Mb or even the 30Mb I am on now, to justify the price UPC are asking for same ?

Simple question, without people getting all defensive, is there any legit uses and if so, what are they so I can legitimately use my 30Mb connection now to it's full or indeed the 100Mb if I go for it.

People pissing and moaning about broadband speeds in Ireland compared to other countries yet nobody has ever justified why we even need the faster speeds. Just a thought.

Are you having a contest to see how many times you can say "legit" in a post?

If you cant think of a reason why you'd need 100Mb BB then it's clearly not for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Too many of you getting all defensive to my question - it's not the point.
    I am interested in getting 100Mb myself but I am asking people if there is any legit use of that 100Mb or even the 30Mb I am on now, to justify the price UPC are asking for same ?

Simple question, without people getting all defensive, is there any legit uses and if so, what are they so I can legitimately use my 30Mb connection now to it's full or indeed the 100Mb if I go for it.

People pissing and moaning about broadband speeds in Ireland compared to other countries yet nobody has ever justified why we even need the faster speeds. Just a thought.
    Can I ask what possible illegimate reasons could someone need 100mb/s instead of a 30mb/s it's the same answer you get there faster I have an account with microsoft and I regularily download iso images of there software(100% legally) and with a faster connection I tend not to have to wait as long to download GB's of information I also send information between my college pc and Home PC daily when I'm working on R&D it can take quiet a while to download my latest software testing daily.

It just get's me there faster I also have three others at home with me that use the Internet. Just as well, I'm currently working on a few Software packages that require a constant high bandwidth connection as it is to do with media distribution for the media & entertainment Industry something that consumers wouldn't be able to use efficiently with a low bandwidth line.

Advertisement