Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 100Mb now available

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

its pretty amazing to think how far we've come in the last 5 years or so really.

i wouldn't be surprised if its not one of the major broadband success stories of recent years.

now we just need someone to whip eircom into shape and invest a chunk of cash into their infrastructure (wishful thinking i know) so they will sort out their pitiful offerings for the rest of the country who can't get UPC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 zamis

can someone tell me how "unlimited" download can be limited to 250gb. Do somebody in UPC read what they are writing:confused:!!!!!!

zamis wrote: »
    can someone tell me how "unlimited" download can be limited to 250gb. Do somebody in UPC read what they are writing:confused:!!!!!!
    according to comreg, they can advertise it as unlimited with an *acceptable usage policy* which should have any limits stated in the terms and conditions.

until recently UPC didn't do this, but now they do and it's stated that the AUP is 250gb combined up & down usage and as such UPC are complying with comreg's policy now.

sure, nobody likes it but until comreg change the rules, there's not much that can be done. pretty much every other ISP does the same thing in one way or another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

zamis wrote: »

No not this again please please don't start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Edit: Never mind - I didn't look at the date of the post I quoted :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 XxjustepicxX

Hi guys just wondering if them old UPC wires going from house to house will be able to handle 100mb or will they have to upgrade them to maybe underground or something im not sure but upgrade them somehow and the wires coming into the houses from the co-axial cables might not handle 100mb never mind the modems.... If UPC do not upgrade more than the modems id think there will be problems.. :p

Hi guys just wondering if them old UPC wires going from house to house will be able to handle 100mb or will they have to upgrade them to maybe underground or something im not sure but upgrade them somehow and the wires coming into the houses from the co-axial cables might not handle 100mb never mind the modems.... If UPC do not upgrade more than the modems id think there will be problems.. :p
    it depends on where you live. plenty of people here have had 100mbps installed and are getting the full (or very close to, in the high 90's bracket) speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭conno3001

Just recently signed on for the 30MB package.

Speed tests are pretty decent, however in pingtests I am receiving quite a bit of packet loss.

1103654899.png
    31829872.png

Anything to worry about?

Also I'm rarely hitting 1MB+ actual downspeed. Anything I can do about this?

What speed should I expect anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 XxjustepicxX

Well quite a few of my neighbors have UPC and is there anyway they will install a co-axial cable for me?! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

conno3001 wrote: »

Speed tests are pretty decent, however in pingtests I am receiving quite a bit of packet loss.

1103654899.png
    31829872.png

Anything to worry about?

Ignore pingtest for UPC, it doesn't work. You'd be better doing it the old fashioned way (via Network Utilities on a Mac, and the command line prompt iirc on a PC), there are instructions given in another thread for the PC if you do a search, if you have a Mac, it'll be obvious what to do when you open Network Utilities in the Utilities folder.

• Advertisement

Anything to worry about?
    no, pingtest.net is totally unreliable with the UPC EPC2425 router as it has something called packet flood detection which automatically drops any packets from a specific IP address if it detects online attack behaviour, which the 250 ping packets you get back from pingtest.net during testing is seen as by the router.

you can turn off packet flood detection in the router, but all it does is improve your pingtest results, you *shouldn't* (in most cases) see any difference with it off. feel free to turn it off to do a pingtest if it makes you feel better, but if you don't actually get any better performance in general browsing or downloading from turning it off, then leave it on.

what are you downloading and where from?

a lot of places you could be downloading from can't supply data TO you at 30mbps, so you'll only get the speed they can give you.

a good test to see how fast you can really download is to get a browser with a decent download manager plugin (say firefox & downthemall!) and pick several big downloads from multiple sources to download and hit them all at once.

linux ISO's are always a good one to get the juices going so try these together using downthemall! in firefox and see what you get.

http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download
    http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=67
    http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora
    http://software.opensuse.org/113/en

leave them running for a few minutes and see what the top combined speed you get is and there's your answer. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,484 ✭✭✭Nollog

1103654899.png
    31829872.png

Anything to worry about?

Bad ping from speedtest caused by flood protection in the modem.
    Shouldn't effect anything else, but if you want to see an A result from speedtest.net you'd need to turn it off.

You should expect 3-4MB/s from 30mb.
    Where are you downloading from though?
    Don't expect to get your full speed from free servers or servers being used by loads of people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

A good download site to use for Benchmark is Heanet's FTP server. Their aggregate bandwidth is about 40Gbit/s (10Gbit/s per node). Usually for benchmarking I download a Linux livecd (in this case Fedora)
    http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/fedora/linux/releases/14/Live/x86_64/

http://ftp.heanet.ie/
    http://ftp.heanet.ie/about/aggregate.shtml

As it's an Irish site and both them and UPC are members of INEX (Internet exchange point here in Dublin) there should be fairly minimum latency unlike going to a download site in UK/US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭conno3001

Thanks for all the helpful replies :D

I did a ping test on my command console, no packet loss from any website I checked from.

As for actual download speeds, I was hitting roughly 800kb-1.8mb from Steam ireland based servers. After doing a test on some of the links that you helpful folks have provided its hitting 3.4mb to 3.8mb. So quite an improvement from my old 230kb download speed Irish Broadband connection.

Thanks again guys.

I wonder what the actual download speed and ping is like on the 100mb package...

Does anyone know the realse date for Cork.

Just signed up to the 100mb package, you must get a TV package with the 100mb now too.:(
    Have Sky already so went for the basic package for the kids room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I contacted UPC last week re the 100mb package. It appears there's no packages available with the 100mb - it's still on trial in Dublin apparently. It has to be bought seperately. Moving up from the 30mb package it would mean a 38/month increase, plus the discount I'm getting having all three services with them. :(

Does any know why they don't have any packages between the 30mb and 100mb? Or if any are due? Seems a bit mad that they don't. It'd be nice to have a 50/60mb package.

I contacted UPC last week re the 100mb package. It appears there's no packages available with the 100mb - it's still on trial in Dublin apparently. .

There is no package, but you must have TV with UPC to be able to order 100meg.

RVP 11 wrote: »
    There is no package, but you must have TV with UPC to be able to order 100meg.

How is that so you can ring up and order if its available in your area. I fond that hard to believe.

How is that so you can ring up and order if its available in your area. I fond that hard to believe.

I have an installation due Thursday.
    I already have the 30mb with phone/without TV, but to able to order 100mb i had to take the basic TV package.

• Advertisement

Be carefull who you talk to in Sales, you can get it without the TV package, but Sales don't want you to know that.
    Got mine without TV and pay the €7 odd fee.

Be carefull who you talk to in Sales, you can get it without the TV package, but Sales don't want you to know that.

Glad to hear you didnt get caught.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

It is clearly stated on the website:

http://www.upc.ie/broadband/hundred/
    monthlyDownload: 100Mb

Upload: 7Mb

Fibre Power Broadband 100Mb for just €80 a month. A reduced connection fee of €80 applies when you order online.

Price shown is when added to an existing TV connection. Otherwise a Fibre Power Broadband Standalone Charge of €7.75 a month applies.

Surely it is reasonable to expect Sales Staff to know such a basic point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

dub45 wrote: »
    Surely it is reasonable to expect Sales Staff to know such a basic point?

They probably get better commission if you sign up to TV too.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

paulm17781 wrote: »
    They probably get better commission if you sign up to TV too.

So it is ok for UPC sales staff to "misinform" potential customers so as to increase commission and in the process cost the potential customer more than they wish to pay for a service they don't want?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

dub45 wrote: »
    So it is ok for UPC sales staff to "misinform" potential customers so as to increase commission and in the process cost the potential customer more than they wish to pay for a service they don't want?
    Yep. Unless they get caught.

Johnmb wrote: »
    Yep. Unless they get caught.

Well the guy who called me about my upgrade asked me "who told you that?" and i told him sales, he just replied "ah sales son't know too much about broadband side of things" and i thought oh how LOL.
    When i originally called about the upgrade and if 100mb was available to me, he said i have to check with my supervisor, then came to say you need the TV package.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭gibbo_ireland

Just called UPC - they have it in my area - Rathfarnham, D16.

Really want this, although cant justify it as 30MB is grand, but whats the point having latest HW at home, if your net connection isnt latest also :-) So reckon I might sacrifice my Sky HD which I really only have for the HD Sports channels, and go with the TV package as well with UPC - will still end up costing more but not as much as keeping both Sky and UPC.

Sky costs around 105EUR for every 2 months so that can go towards the UPC total package.

Argh! Decisions decisions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

Just called UPC - they have it in my area - Rathfarnham, D16.

Really want this, although cant justify it as 30MB is grand, but whats the point having latest HW at home, if your net connection isnt latest also :-) So reckon I might sacrifice my Sky HD which I really only have for the HD Sports channels, and go with the TV package as well with UPC - will still end up costing more but not as much as keeping both Sky and UPC.

Sky costs around 105EUR for every 2 months so that can go towards the UPC total package.

Argh! Decisions decisions!

I would strongly advise against getting their tv package if you have sky at the moment. They tv system is sooo ****e! Maybe so people that have only been on UPC and not sky don't think so as they have not seen how much better the sky system is. The UPC one is soo incredibly slow to do anything. Even basic stuff like just pressing select to bring up the menu screen for what show it is you are currently watched. Or scrolling through to see whats on other channles is an absolute chore.

I would just go with the broadband and not change your tv as you will def want to move back after a little bit like we did after being so frustrated at how bad the upc tv didgital tv system is

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

suppafly wrote: »
    I would strongly advise against getting their tv package if you have sky at the moment. They tv system is sooo ****e! Maybe so people that have only been on UPC and not sky don't think so as they have not seen how much better the sky system is. The UPC one is soo incredibly slow to do anything. Even basic stuff like just pressing select to bring up the menu screen for what show it is you are currently watched. Or scrolling through to see whats on other channles is an absolute chore.

I would just go with the broadband and not change your tv as you will def want to move back after a little bit like we did after being so frustrated at how bad the upc tv didgital tv system is

I have used sky HD boxes before and they are basically the same as the UPC HD boxes :confused:

Advertisement