Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the best MUSIC Matrix

Options
  • 09-12-2010 3:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭

Alll the greatest and best self written pop / rock music imho tends to be created by individuals in a certain bracket:
    It seems you need to be late teens to twenties
    male
    white
    from UK or USA

Not on about boy band x factor ****e, just new music ala
    beatles stones bowie who dylan pistols nirvana stone roses etc
    Why is this? What promotes this demographic to make great music?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Not many (example) black women from South Africa could become popular in the era of the bands you list.

Homer said it best "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

if you're that good you get found earlier, simple really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Blind Willie Johnson, who directly influenced at least 4 of the acts on your list wasn't white and recorded most of his work when in his 30's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

male
    white
    from UK or USA

well firstly, do you listen to much from any artists born and raised in zimbabwe?
    secondly, that describes about half the population of the western world...
    thirdly, as mentioned, if you're that good you'll be spotted early.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'd include Canada so North America rather than USA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Eugh, we're going down this road again.
    I'll rephrase your post to avoid any confusion:
    All the greatest and best my favourite self written pop / rock music imho tends to be created by individuals in a certain bracket:t seems you need to be late teens to twenties
    male
    white
    from UK or USA

Not on about boy band x factor ****e, just new music ala
    beatles stones bowie who dylan pistols nirvana stone roses etc
    Why is this? What promotes this demographic to make great music?

Most of my favourite music was made by black men and women in their 20s/30s living in the USA. I also like electronic music produced by bearded Norwegian men, and elderly Japanese female koto musicians are great too.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

Daddio wrote: »
    Eugh, we're going down this road again.
    I'll rephrase your post to avoid any confusion:

Most of my favourite music was made by black men and women in their 20s/30s living in the USA. I also like electronic music produced by bearded Norwegian men, and elderly Japanese female koto musicians are great too.

:)

take it easy, the above was of course a huge generalisation ( was a bit tipsy posting it ). But successful bands/solo artists often share certain characteristics such as the few i listed.

personally I also have a passion for Mongolian throat singing practised by a handful of middle aged goat farmers in the Gobi Desert ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Ah I know, I was only referencing the **** storm that ensued in "the Beatles are the best band ever. Discuss" thread ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

Equally true to say all the worst pop/rock music was written by that demographic :)

Advertisement