Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Current account for Irish Person?

Options
  • 09-12-2010 6:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Is it possible to setup a UK Current Account up north, what do you need to supply?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

A very good reason first and foremost!

The banks up here are incredibly suspicious of individuals wishing to set up personal accounts across the border. Proof of ID like a passport and/or driving licence, proof of address, and 3 months worth of recent bank statements. There's still no guarantee it'll be approved even after doing all that.
    tompadraig wrote: »
    Is it possible to setup a UK Current Account up north, what do you need to supply?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

I set up a joint account with my dad in boi newry last year. Passport and bills for id and proof of address. Everything was ok. We set it up though the receive sterling payments from the uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

tompadraig wrote: »

The majority of UK banks allow ROI residents to open a bank account with an Irish address.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

I think the main word in the OP's question is "current account". Sure, banks up here will give you a savings account, but it is my understanding that they are very reluctant to give current accounts as these can be used to obtain credit facilities, and most people living in the ROI don't have credit ratings in the UK.

psni wrote: »
    I think the main word in the OP's question is "current account". Sure, banks up here will give you a savings account, but it is my understanding that they are very reluctant to give current accounts as these can be used to obtain credit facilities, and most people living in the ROI don't have credit ratings in the UK.

A lot of the banks in NI will allow ROI residents open current accounts.

• Advertisement

Oh I know they will allow it eventually, but from what I'm told, you need a good reason to open one. I know a few people from ROI who have been refused a current account in a UK bank.
    Fungus wrote: »
    A lot of the banks in NI will allow ROI residents open current accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Plenty of reports on previous threads here of problem free opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

I opened a current account in BOI Newry in April. Brought my passport and statements for my BOI account down here. Did it no problem, was in and out of the branch in about 30 mins.

psni wrote: »
    Oh I know they will allow it eventually, but from what I'm told, you need a good reason to open one.

You don't need "a reason". It is easy to open a GBP account with a ROI address.

This is very useful to know. Like I said, I know people who were refused a current account because there was a requirement that their salary be mandated through it, or else they'd have to settle for a savings account instead.

I shall make a mental note of this post.

Thanking you all very much.
    sitstill wrote: »
    I opened a current account in BOI Newry in April. Brought my passport and statements for my BOI account down here. Did it no problem, was in and out of the branch in about 30 mins.

• Advertisement
Advertisement