Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Newbie Question

Options
  • 09-12-2010 7:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hey all,

I'm 22 and i suffer from dyslexia and I have read very little in my lifetime in the way of books, so i've decided that I really must make an effort to get reading. I've used my dyslexia as an excuse not to read if I'm being honest, also i do find it hard to read 10 pages of text in one sitting.

But no more...

So i was thinking of starting off my reading the Harry Potter series, but I've seen all the movies thus far and was wondering if there was any point in reading the books as I know most of what will happen in the books?

Cheers in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

Well I'm biased, because I love the books, but I definitely think they are worthwhile - the books have a much richer storytelling than the films - mainly, I think, due to the time limits of filmmaking. If you start with the first one maybe? Then see if you enjoy it, no need to continue if not.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭rhapsody

I am also biased- big fan of the books (just re-reading the last one at the moment). Since you're not really used to reading too much, it might actually be good for you to read something that you sort-of know the story of already- it might hold your interest longer than a completely new story.

Also the first Harry book is relatively simple- I don't know much about dyslexia and dont mean to be insulting, I just mean it might be useful to start with something like Harry rather than e.g. George Orwell/ the Brontes who are great, but I find them a tough read at times!

I wonder would listening to the audio book of it at the same time as reading it(for a little while) be any use to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭elspecia

rhapsody wrote: »
    I am also biased- big fan of the books (just re-reading the last one at the moment). Since you're not really used to reading too much, it might actually be good for you to read something that you sort-of know the story of already- it might hold your interest longer than a completely new story.

Also the first Harry book is relatively simple- I don't know much about dyslexia and dont mean to be insulting, I just mean it might be useful to start with something like Harry rather than e.g. George Orwell/ the Brontes who are great, but I find them a tough read at times!

I wonder would listening to the audio book of it at the same time as reading it(for a little while) be any use to you?

Your point about dyslexia not insulting in fact quite especially when you use George Orwell as an example, i was also thinking of audiobooks, but i really just want to get reading tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

elspecia - what types of stories do you like? That's probably the best place to start.

You might get loads of suggestions of books that are easy going, but if they bore you, then it's hard to concentrate - whether or not you're dyslexic!

Also, I've heard that books with large print can be much easier to read for dyslexics, so that might be something to look out for.

I hope this doesn't sound patronising, but I'd never have thought you were dyslexic from your first post.

• Advertisement

eoin wrote: »
    elspecia - what types of stories do you like? That's probably the best place to start.

You might get loads of suggestions of books that are easy going, but if they bore you, then it's hard to concentrate - whether or not you're dyslexic!

Also, I've heard that books with large print can be much easier to read for dyslexics, so that might be something to look out for.

I hope this doesn't sound patronising, but I'd never have thought you were dyslexic from your first post.

I like fantasy and sci-fi movies and tv shows, so i suppose that's what would interest me the most

Well that's the wonder of spell check:D

But i'm dyslexic but with regards to writing and reading I have my off days(my dyslexic days), tbh It doesn't hold me back like it once did, I'd swear that I no longer suffer from it at times. But then I try and read a book and after 5 pages I can really start to get sluggish and my concentration goes, but that could just be a stamina issue since I don't read very often, except for the newspapers and stuff online really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

elspecia - I've some basic experience of kids with dyslexia and one thing a psychologist told me really struck me. She's excellent, and has assessed a good few kids for various reasons in our school. She explained to me about the extra amount of processing involved for anyone with reading difficulties - very basically they are using so much extra energy that they will get mentally exhausted much more quickly than someone without difficulty.

This just rang a bell when you mentioned getting sluggish and your concentration going after reading 5 pages of a book. You also mentioned stamina - I think this is a very valid point in general, whether you have a reading difficulty or not. The more practice you get at reading, the more you take in in a glance, so it seems to take less effort as you get more practice. This is valid for everyone.

At the end of the day, for anyone with dyslexia, it's brilliant to have the attitude that it's not going to hold you back. It must be frustrating at times, but it is important to remind yourself that you're putting in the effort!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

As already said OP knowing the general story from a film is nothing compared to reading a book, usually the exact story the creator intended if you follow me.

I havent read Harry Potter so I would recommend His Dark Materials or if youre up for a little challenge then Lord of the Rings. Any of those would be perfect for you i think because if there are any books that will suck you in its those and it sounds like you could really enjoy a book with a lot of imagination (If thats not too presumptuous).

Good luck and welcome to reading, its the business ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

There's a good thread on fantasy recommendations on page 2 or 3 of here. Have a read through it. I can't recommend LOTR though. I was also going to suggest an audiobook too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Can I ask the OP what kinds of books would help? If 10 pages at a time is your limit, perhaps some shorter stuff? Are there other concerns (e.g. do you find longer words more difficult)? Please excuse my ignorance of your problem.

For short, interesting stuff, I'll mention two: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and Animal Farm.

Short stories might be a good way to get back reading - you can handle most of them in one or two sittings. I'll mention Graham Greene's Twentyone Stories, and Neil Gaimon's Smoke and Mirrors.
    rhapsody wrote: »
    ...I just mean it might be useful to start with something like Harry rather than e.g. George Orwell/ the Brontes who are great, but I find them a tough read at times!
    Really? I wouldn't associate him with difficult writing. He can be a little dreary a times, mind, particularly in 1984.

• Advertisement

mikhail wrote: »
    Can I ask the OP what kinds of books would help? If 10 pages at a time is your limit, perhaps some shorter stuff? Are there other concerns (e.g. do you find longer words more difficult)? Please excuse my ignorance of your problem.

For short, interesting stuff, I'll mention two: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and Animal Farm.

Short stories might be a good way to get back reading - you can handle most of them in one or two sittings. I'll mention Graham Greene's Twentyone Stories, and Neil Gaimon's Smoke and Mirrors.

Really? I wouldn't associate him with difficult writing. He can be a little dreary a times, mind, particularly in 1984.

I don't know what kind of books would be best for me, just as long as I have an interest in them I'll try and read them. I can on occasions have problems with certain words but I can check them online if I can't figure them out myself. I usually read comics and I can get thru one of them in 2 sittings normally.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

elspecia, have you considered audiobooks?

I listen to them when I'm walking in/out of work, and appreciate the experience. You can get full or abridged versions of a lot of books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

Hey, could I recommend the Percy Jackson series, since you like fantasy, it's about Greek legends and gods.

I'd say the target audience is mostly teenagers but anyone could read it, much like Harry Potter.

I found them interesting anyway.

Oh and since you like comics, maybe a graphic novel?

storm2811 wrote: »
    Hey, could I recommend the Percy Jackson series, since you like fantasy, it's about Greek legends and gods.

I'd say the target audience is mostly teenagers but anyone could read it, much like Harry Potter.

I found them interesting anyway.

Oh and since you like comics, maybe a graphic novel?

Yeah I might give the Percy Jackson a go, i have seen the movie and i really enjoyed it, I have read quite a few graphic novels and I really like them especially Watchman(so much better then the movie :mad:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

elspecia wrote: »
    Yeah I might give the Percy Jackson a go, i have seen the movie and i really enjoyed it, I have read quite a few graphic novels and I really like them especially Watchman(so much better then the movie :mad:)

You should, the story is quite good, but the film is about all 5 books (I think there's 5) so you know, the books go into more detail and there's more side stories and that in them, would be a good starter read.

Yeah I love graphic novels too, only read a few though, loved "Maus".
    The books are always better than the films imo, good luck anyway & let us know what you decide to read & how you get on.:)

Advertisement