Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Govt to contribute €23m extra for climate change in other countries

• 09-12-2010 8:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭

http://news.eircom.net/breakingnews/19032353/
    An additional €23m is to be spent by the Government helping poorer countries to deal with climate change.

The announcement has been made by Environment Minister John Gormley who said: "Ireland is facing severe economic difficulties, but we have to remember that climate change is threatening the lives and safety of many, through flooding, drought and other problems."

Loike srsly!?1

Can the Ugandans not pay for their own fighter jets at this stage?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Can they not just sort out our own fcuking climate first. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

I hope the entire Green parliamentary party choke to death on their cruelty-free, vegan, organic, farmer's market muesli as soon as possible, I really do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

I hope the entire Green parliamentary party choke to death on their cruelty-free, vegan, organic, farmer's market muesli as soon as possible, I really do.
    Death by tofu!

****!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TerryTibbs!

Feckin hippies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

We are donating borrowed money.

Retards - you can never guess what they'll do next.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Climate change ? €23m .. I'm sorry, I am all for the environment and all that, but for **** sake. That money for a fact would be better spent here on some snow equipment to deal with our own environmental problem with snow.

Or Global warming , oh yeah I have not forgot there little marketing ploy. Climate change my arse.. Do they really think they can undo the damage done? Sure they are still felling the rain forest like no tomorrow. Then blaming cars on Co2 , well if there was something to absorb the Co2.. See they think they can just throw money at this, well when there is no rainforest left the money will do nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Aren't they a great shower of bast@rds all together. €23 million on extra salt and grit supplies might be a more pressing priority. Milder wetter winters my ar$e!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

All this bank bailout money would be better spent on the environment, it just seems like it's going into a black hole at the moment. Actually at this stage all the money could be better spent on a top class political assassin to solve all our problems.

Actually at this stage all the money could be better spent on a top class political assassin to solve all our problems.

Pretty mental of you, Jim. But you know, it's at times like these I actually get nostalgic for the Provos.
    Typical Irish luck really - we had a top-notch, heavily armed insurrectionist terror movement in this country for four decades when we didn't want one, and then they go into retirement just before they're actually needed.
    :(
    I wonder how smiley some of our bankers or politicians would be if the Provos had declared them a 'legitimate target'.

The climate will change regardless of what we do ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

Pretty mental of you, Jim. But you know, it's at times like these I actually get nostalgic for the Provos.
    Typical Irish luck really - we had a top-notch, heavily armed insurrectionist terror movement in this country for four decades when we didn't want one, and then they go into retirement just before they're actually needed.
    I wonder how smiley some of our bankers or politicians would be if the Provos had declared them a 'legitimate target'.

Lol im actually all for shooting politicians in this country, they wont be arrested or face trial over their mishandling of this economy, they will retire before next election to spend their pensions and retirement funds, i say shoot them, you cant spend a pension if you are dead. Ireland saves money, all around winners.

On a serious note, yea its crap we donate money, but sure id rather be in debt ridden Ireland than a poor African country, at least we have the potential to make change, it will take alot of hard work, but i think we can set Ireland straight again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

The climate will change regardless of what we do ..

Exactly the correct term is climate movement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 421 ✭✭Aseth

Just read about it in Metro. Effin' disgrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

This looks to have nothing to do with climate change. That's just the label they've stuck on it, for reasons best known to themselves.

It's just normal foreign aid, otherwise known as "charity".

Still, stupid poor starving people should just cop on. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Lumen wrote: »
    This looks to have nothing to do with climate change. That's just the label they've stuck on it, for reasons best known to themselves.

It's just normal foreign aid, otherwise known as "charity".

Still, stupid poor starving people should just cop on. :rolleyes:

Rough end to that comment! They can't cop on, and now the dole is gone down on them just before Christmas. :)

As someone said above though, the idea of us giving away borrowed money is infuriating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

The Greens went to Fianna Fail before the budget to try & ensure that some of the measures that they wanted introduced - including this one - would be passed before the next election.

In return for this, FF have told the Greens that if that is what they want, they will have to support the Budget cuts & not call for an election until March of next year.

They agreed to this. So thanks to them, we'll have FF for another 3 months & we're shipping millions off to Africa so they can plant a few trees.

I seriously hope that we never see the Green Party ever again - that they are obliterated at the polls & gone forever. They are nothing but a shower of Dublincentric, faux-environmentalist media whores.

And I hope John Gormely falls into an incinerator & Eamonn Ryan gets run over by a Luas, for good measure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

http://news.eircom.net/breakingnews/19032353/

Loike srsly!?1

Can the Ugandans not pay for their own fighter jets at this stage?

How many fighter jets do you think 23m will get you?

Typical though. Encourage a property bubble and allow houses offices and shopping malls to be built on greenfield sites, then start worrying about environmental issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

How many fighter jets do you think 23m will get you?

Typical though. Encourage a property bubble and allow houses offices and shopping malls to be built on greenfield sites, then start worrying about environmental issues.

Do they need fighter jets to bomb the climate?

I blame all those rain makers for the floods in the hot countries with less than 50mm of rain a year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

We are donating borrowed money.
    Yep. We have signed up to some international aid to the third world thing too IIRC and also IIRC its in the 100's of millions. Is that still part of the budget? If it is its bloody madness. :mad:

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

I have a serious pain in my stones with this. Between overseas aid, unwarranted banker bonuses and climate change cash for other countries is there anything left for us to blow cash on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

This is very typical of the greens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Wibbs wrote: »
    Yep. We have signed up to some international aid to the third world thing too IIRC and also IIRC its in the 100's of millions. Is that still part of the budget? If it is its bloody madness. :mad:

What's mad about a rich country helping a poorer country?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

We're a poor country too...

We're a poor country too...

Yeah, we've poor attitudes, poor memories but that doesn't make us a poor country.

Yeah, we've poor attitudes, poor memories but that doesn't make us a poor country.

Oh, I beg your pardon.

We're a bankrupt country.
    Is that correct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Maybe they can borrow the money and lend it to us and then we can give it to them.

That way our taxpayers may not get such a high interest rate.

Oh, I beg your pardon.

We're a bankrupt country.
    Is that correct?

No that is ridiculous, the country is not bankrupt. If people believe Ireland is unable (financially) to help much poorer states, we might be closer to becoming morally bankrupt,

No that is ridiculous, the country is not bankrupt. If people believe Ireland is unable (financially) to help much poorer states, we might be closer to becoming morally bankrupt,

The countries not bankrupt? So we did the govt. have to go to the EU/IMF and ask for money? Is it because we have loads of it to spare?

We have plenty of poor people in Ireland that need help.

The country is INSOLVENT. We now owe €170,000 EACH in sovereign debt. That's on top of any personal debt people may have. We're going to have to finance much of that sovereign debt at around 6%. So we're cutting the dole, carers' allowance, minimum wage, hiking taxes, introducing new stealth taxes and still we're borrowing at 6% to hand money over to countries in Africa so that they can buy fighter jets.
    It's a sick joke at the expense of the people of Ireland. Give over with your preaching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Not much that can be done really. The Greens are in the last throws of their dying career in The Dail. They are going to be annihilated in the general election, and they know it. They're just trying to do whatever they can in their own interest and to hell with the rest of us. Absolute idiots.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

A couple of things. 1) we're not rich. It's borrowed money we're sending. If a guy on the street was in hock to the bank for 100 grand, was defaulting on his monthly payments to the extent that he had to take other loans out and you found out he was handing over 100 quid a week to Concern, you would think him daft. 2) We've done enough at this stage. We as a nation have given shed loads of help, both financial and on the ground help to the third world. People forget that a couple of generations ago nearly every family in this nation had someone "on the missions". When Live Aid happened in the 80's we gave the most money per capita of all the nations involved in it. Currently there are 1000's of Irish men and women out there on the ground doing their bit.

We've done enough and frankly and personally speaking I've had enough. If I see another ad of some kid dying with doleful music over it I'll effin kick the telly in. I've been watching this for all my life. It never bloody ends. There are nations on earth, especially in sub saharan Africa that have had trillions thrown at them for decades. We've wiped their debt more than once and what happens? We're still getting guilted out for not putting our money in the Trocaire boxes. Fcuk that if you pardon my French. We shouldnt send them another red cent until the people in those nations overthrow those swallowing up this help. Enough is enough. We don't have to send money to South Africa and a few other nations in that part of the world so why the hell throw good borrowed money after bad?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Ill-informed ranting here about the Greens and Overseas Development Aid.

ODA is the responsibility of the Dept of Foreign Affairs, which is headed by an FF minister.

A little bit of perspective, based on just one aspect of the way we Irish collectively spend money even while the economy is in recession:
    Personal expenditure on beverages was €7.185 billion in 2009. This was 8.5% of total consumer expenditure.

€6.531 billion of this was expenditure on alcohol
    and €654.3 million was spent on non-alcoholic beverages.
    Source: Drinks Industry Group of Ireland.

We Irish spend more just on booze than the entire GDP of African countries like Rwanda, Malawi or Chad.

to hand money over to countries in Africa so that they can buy fighter jets.

Just to be clear, I said that as a joke.
    I don't know if it's true or not.
    Iwannahurl wrote:
    We Irish spend more just on booze than the entire GDP of African countries like Rwanda, Malawi or Chad.

1)Irish people spend alot of money on booze becasuse Irish people like booze.
    I'm sure African people spend alot of money on whatever it is that African people like.
    2)Those figures don't account for the fact that booze costs alot more in this country
    3)So what? Irish people can spend their hard earned money on whatever they please.
    We're talking about the government forking out much needed public finances on foriegn climate change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Wibbs wrote: »
    A couple of things. 1) we're not rich. It's borrowed money we're sending. If a guy on the street was in hock to the bank for 100 grand, was defaulting on his monthly payments to the extent that he had to take other loans out and you found out he was handing over 100 quid a week to Concern, you would think him daft. 2) We've done enough at this stage. We as a nation have given shed loads of help, both financial and on the ground help to the third world. People forget that a couple of generations ago nearly every family in this nation had someone "on the missions". When Live Aid happened in the 80's we gave the most money per capita of all the nations involved in it. Currently there are 1000's of Irish men and women out there on the ground doing their bit.

We've done enough and frankly and personally speaking I've had enough. If I see another ad of some kid dying with doleful music over it I'll effin kick the telly in. I've been watching this for all my life. It never bloody ends. There are nations on earth, especially in sub saharan Africa that have had trillions thrown at them for decades. We've wiped their debt more than once and what happens? We're still getting guilted out for not putting our money in the Trocaire boxes. Fcuk that if you pardon my French. We shouldnt send them another red cent until the people in those nations overthrow those swallowing up this help. Enough is enough. We don't have to send money to South Africa and a few other nations in that part of the world so why the hell throw good borrowed money after bad?

Scrooge.

The country is INSOLVENT. We now owe €170,000 EACH in sovereign debt. That's on top of any personal debt people may have. We're going to have to finance much of that sovereign debt at around 6%. So we're cutting the dole, carers' allowance, minimum wage, hiking taxes, introducing new stealth taxes and still we're borrowing at 6% to hand money over to countries in Africa so that they can buy fighter jets.
    It's a sick joke at the expense of the people of Ireland. Give over with your preaching.

Stop distorting the facts with prejudice and ignorance. Nobody in Ireland is dying of hunger, thirst or disease. Few if any live in constant danger of threat or death. People need to stand up more for themselves, too many too reliant on State handouts an dmoan about others in far worse situations.

Come out and see the light!:)

• Advertisement

Iwannahurl wrote: »

And?
    If people want to forego a pint and give money to Oxfam that's up to them. The government has no moral authority to borrow money at 6% and give it away to foreign countries while expecting the taxpayer to stand over the debt accrued to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Just to be clear, I said that as a joke.
    I don't know if it's true or not.

I hope it is a joke. Imagine the carbon emissions being released from one flight of a fighter jet. AK-47s or ideally a nice supply of machetes are much more environmentally friendly ways to invest this money we are giving them.

Stop distorting the facts with prejudice and ignorance.

Sorry, what facts are you disputing here? Do you dispute the 170K per capita figure? It's not my figure.
    I think you are the one in ignorance if you do not realise just how insolvent this nation is.

Nobody in Ireland is dying of hunger, thirst or disease. Few if any live in constant danger of threat or death. People need to stand up more for themselves, too many too reliant on State handouts an dmoan about others in far worse situations.

Come out and see the light!:)

See the light? Cop on, ffs.
    Let me spell this one out so that it's crystal clear - the IMF have intervened in our economy, it's so screwed. We are beyond our wildest nightmares in debt. Add the sovereign debt to mortgage debt and personal debt, and you're looking at close to half a million per taxpayer, and it's rising exponentially because of the punitive interest rate on the bailout.
    We cannot afford as a nation to bail anyone out when we're on life support ourselves. If individuals wish to contribute to other nations so that their corrupt elites don't have to fund their own education or healthcare systems and can instead divert money into defence budgets or Swiss bank accounts, so be it. I donate to Goal myself.
    But the Government has absolutely no moral right to burden the already debt-drowned Irish taxpayer with further debt in order to support other nations.

Lumen wrote: »
    Scrooge.

Say what you want about scrooge, he got **** done.
    Despite trillions being thrown at Africa, it would seem the continent is still in dire straits.
    Charity on this scale is an inherintly flawed concept.
    Nobody in Ireland is dying of hunger, thirst or disease.
    Furthermore, many of these problems stem from the fact these countries have larger populations than they can sustain. And charitable hand outs will perpetuate their problems, not fix them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

We have cut overseas aid from 921m in 2008 to about 635m in 2011

Of course we could save 100m instantly by stopping all of our contributtions to HIV/Aids prevention programmes. Alternatively we could have make the same saving by cutting the Old age pension expenditure by about 0.25%.

• Advertisement

marco_polo wrote: »
    We have cut overseas aid from 921m in 2008 to about 635m in 2011

Of course we could save 100m instantly by stopping all of our contributtions to HIV/Aids prevention programmes. Alternatively we could have make the same saving by cutting the Old age pension expenditure by about 0.25%.

Or we could cut it to zero, and that would be 635 million euro annually we wouldn't have to borrow at 6%.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Ill-informed ranting here about the Greens and Overseas Development Aid.

ODA is the responsibility of the Dept of Foreign Affairs, which is headed by an FF minister.

A little bit of perspective, based on just one aspect of the way we Irish collectively spend money even while the economy is in recession:
    Personal expenditure on beverages was €7.185 billion in 2009. This was 8.5% of total consumer expenditure.

€6.531 billion of this was expenditure on alcohol and €654.3 million was spent on non-alcoholic beverages.
    Source: Drinks Industry Group of Ireland.

]

I EARN my money i'll spend it on what the hell i like..i'd sooner drink every penny than send anything to africa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭flutered

I wonder how smiley some of our bankers or politicians would be if the Provos had declared them a 'legitimate target'.[/QUOTE]
    they are but the weapon of choice is now the ballot box, slower but imo a lot more effective, just ask der mutt aherne.

flutered wrote: »

they are but the weapon of choice is now the ballot box, slower but imo a lot more effective, just ask der mutt aherne.

More effective? I don't see how. He'll swan off into the sunset on his preposterous pension, and take up a load of directorships with whatever cronies from the Galway tent are still in business.
    Yeah, that'll show him alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Degsy wrote: »
    ]

I EARN my money i'll spend it on what the hell i like..i'd sooner drink every penny than send anything to africa.

But how is Zareb going to pay for his golden AK-47, now?

Throwing money at Africa isn't going to save it, how much money has been poured into it since the first donations started decades ago? It's an over-populated mess that's corrupted as fùck and with a huge percentage of ill-educated people that don't know how to live off their own land. (Famine and civil war don't make it easy for them either!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

]

At least your honest about it rather than dress it up as others do.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

]

I wouldn't doubt that for a second.

Good man yerself. Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭flutered

did we not borrow a moxey to help bail out greece, jeeze them shower in kildare st, but the its not their money thats been given away, its ours, they have inflation proof wages, expense accounts, pensions, saveings et at, fcuk em.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Or we could cut it to zero, and that would be 635 million euro annually we wouldn't have to borrow at 6%.

I respect you are entitled to your opinion on where your money is spent, personally I am happy enough for a small percentage of my taxes to be spend on overseas aid (In spite of the huge flaws in the system). I would prefer a fairer WTO deal for third world nations myself as the mechanism for encouraging economic development, but we can be damn sure that is never going to happen.

]

Three pages in, you must be getting old degsy. For an even bigger buzz you could just go over there on safari and burn 50 euro notes in front of them.

Duggy747 wrote: »
    But how is Zareb going to pay for his golden AK-47, now?

Throwing money at Africa isn't going to save it, how much money has been poured into it since the first donations started decades ago? It's an over-populated mess that's corrupted as fùck and with a huge percentage of ill-educated people that don't know how to live off their own land. (Famine and civil war don't make it easy for them either!)

With a couple of minor edits, imagine how that might read to the taxpayers of Germany:
    Throwing money at Ireland isn't going to save it, how much money has been poured into it since the first EEC funding started decades ago? It's a badly planned mess that's corrupted as fùck and with a huge percentage of ill-educated people that don't know how to live off their own land. (Famine and civil war haven't made it easy for them either!)

• Advertisement
Advertisement