Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Illegal to put a storage heater in a bedroom?

• 09-12-2010 10:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    We're getting our heating sorted at the moment. There's a storage heater in the hall that is in a really wasteful spot, so we were hoping to get it moved in to the biggest bedroom.

The electrician said it would be doable except for the fact that it's illegal to have a storage heater in a bedroom.

I just wanted to check that this is actually and stil the case, as it would make a much bigger difference having it in the bedroom than where it is in the hall.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

I know plenty of houses with storage heaters in bedrooms up north. I don't know a hell of alot about Economy 7 heating but have never heard of it being illegal. My cousin has E7 heating in her house and theres 1 in every room, even with her 14 month old twins so I'd be interested to hear if this is illegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

That electrician is talking nonsense. There are no regulations against it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

That electrician is talking nonsense. There are no regulations against it.

Would you have any idea where I could find something that describes this that I could point them to?

My friend who is an electrician said that he's installed loads of storage heaters in new buildings' bedrooms, so I'm inclined to think this electrician is wrong, but I'd like to be able to reference to something rather than just accuse him of being wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

It shouldn't be up to you to prove him wrong, it should be up to him to prove it right. You've got plenty of anecdotal evidence suggesting otherwise. An apartment my sister rents was built last year, storage heaters in every room except the bathroom.

If he doesn't do it, find somebody else - plenty of electricians out of work at the minute :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭beanie10

As gold shield systems go you wouldnt generally put a storage heater in bedroom, they are kept to the lining areas(hall,kitchen, sitting room). Storage heaters are on a restricted supply ie. they charge up for 8 hours of night (11pm to 7am), when electricity is charged at a cheap rate, and give out heat during the day.
    You should leave the storage heater where it is and install a panel heater in the bedroom. With this you have onstant heat and a build in time clock and thermostat all for about €30.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

I was told that storage heaters run on the night rate and the rest of the electricity needs runs off the day meter even in the night is this true? I would have thought that all the electricity used during the off peak was charged at off peak price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I was told that storage heaters run on the night rate and the rest of the electricity needs runs off the day meter even in the night is this true? I would have thought that all the electricity used during the off peak was charged at off peak price.

I think no, they replace the meter with a digital one which determines how all electricity is charged according to the time of day. You could (and should) run your immersion, dishwasher, etc during off-peak to get the maximum saving. The day time Nightsaver rate is a little more expensive than your regular standard 24hr rate electricity but the off-peak Nightsaver rate is 50% cheaper than the day time Nightsaver rate, and significantly cheaper than the standard 24hr rate.

Advertisement