Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good jobs news

• 09-12-2010 10:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭

US bank Citi is to create 250 jobs next year in Dublin and Waterford..

The 250 positions are the result of an international competition within the Citi group.

A number of the financial group's European operations wanted the project, but Ireland came out on top.

The jobs will be targeted at third-level graduates and will be in the areas of operations, funds, technology and product development.

Citi has been in Ireland for 45 years and the IDA-supported investment brings their workforce here to over 2,400.

Welcoming the news, the Enterprise Minister Batt O'Keeffe said it's a "strong endorsement of Ireland’s financial services sector".*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Anyone know what the split is between Waterford and Dublin, both in terms of these new jobs and the existing ones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

"strong endorsement of Ireland’s financial services sector" What? The same sector that bankrupted the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Shalashaska

fricatus wrote: »
    Anyone know what the split is between Waterford and Dublin, both in terms of these new jobs and the existing ones?

I'd say the lion's share of those jobs will be Dublin-based. It's still good news for new graduates in Waterford nonetheless (God knows we need it).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Do Citi have any Waterford Operation at the moment. Cant recall ever hearing of one

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Shalashaska

thomasm wrote: »
    Do Citi have any Waterford Operation at the moment. Cant recall ever hearing of one

Me neither. I can only assume that they are going to move into a premises out in the Industrial Estate sometime in the near future.

@ Dum_Dum: I thought the exact same when I read that sentence out :eek:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    "strong endorsement of Ireland’s financial services sector" What? The same sector that bankrupted the country?

No, this is the international managed funds and insurance industry. They had no role in what happened in this country. Some of these companies (including Citi) needed assistance from the US TARP program in 2008, but guess what? The Americans managed their way out of it (thank you Obama and Ben Bernanke), whereas "Brian and Brianer" dug a deeper and deeper hole for us.

Most of the companies in the IFSC are excellent employers. I think it's safe to say the country would be worse off without them. (I would anyway, since I work for one!)

thomasm wrote: »

Used to be called Bisys until Citi Group took it over. It's out on the Cork Road near the Holy Cross, as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Irelands financial services sector is a success story. The fact Irish state employed bean-counters can't add up is a seperate matter thankfully. If anything it shows that the state needs privatising! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

Me neither. I can only assume that they are going to move into a premises out in the Industrial Estate sometime in the near future.

@ Dum_Dum: I thought the exact same when I read that sentence out :eek:.

AFAIK they currently occupy the Borg Cube near the Holy Cross - Citi bought out Bisys some years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 JackTK78

Yep, thats true. Loads of room for more people in there tho'. They don't even use up 20% of the space currentrly.

Advertisement