Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Price of the Pint - What would make you go back to the pub ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

PeakOutput wrote: »
    thats cool, apology accepted

im fine with your once off thing in a pub in a rural area or whatever were everyone agrees. i was talking about you moaning about the lack of atmosphere due to people having to leave the pub every now and again. if there was no smoking ban so you could sit inside with your mates chatting while you smoked those 2-4 hours a night add up very fast for everyone else around you not to mention the people serving

you just proved me right !!!Your wording is totally different to mine and you were putting words in my mouth,gombeen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Your sarcasm's crap mate. Try harder in future.

Well it annoyed you didn't it.
    I was therefore successful in my aim. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

You drink 20 pints in one sitting and aren't drunk?

You're either lying or you're not good at maths. ;)

Probably lost the ability to count after the fourth pint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Well it annoyed you didn't it.
    I was therefore successful in my aim. ;)

Ah bless.

You'll have to try a lot harder to annoy me.

Since you're the smoker why the hell would it annoy me if you mistakenly thought I believed smoking was cool?

It just don't make sense.

AnneFrank wrote: »
    that explains alot,

Naturally, it explains why I smoke and why I enjoyed that night so much.
    Your powers of observation are astounding. :cool:

:D

Last week during one of those slightly chilly evenings in one of the out of the way pubs near here, the landlord (with the consensus of all there) let anyone smoke inside next to the fireplace. By the end of the evening there was an atmosphere (not smoke related) in the place like a New York speakeasy in the prohibition days, mighty craic was had that night. :D

Is this illegal?

Naturally, it explains why I smoke and why I enjoyed that night so much.
    Your powers of observation are astounding. :cool:

Thanks i thought so,but anyone who says" i love to smoke " is a moron,i wonder will you say the same thing on a hospital trolley unable to breath and dying of cancer.That comment shall come back to haunt you Einstein Enjoy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Even 4 yo yos a pint would be a grand

Ah bless.

Since you're the smoker why the hell would it annoy me if you mistakenly thought I believed smoking was cool?

the chaps a pillock Anonoboy,i would imagine a naive 20 year old living with mammy

orourkeda wrote: »
    Is this illegal?

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Funny that so many people said €3.50 because that's exactly the price I had in mind when I read the thread title.

More seating is a good idea, but it's not something I ever considered a major problem. One thing they could stop doing is providing seating for either too many or too few people. Loads of pubs seems to provide tables which will fit 2 people, 4 at a stretch, and at the other side of the bar you have huge areas to fit ten or 12 people. If you generally had seating for groups of six - eight people, you'd probably find people a lot more comfortable. Although I think any arrangement which stops people from standing around in other peoples' way would work fine.

Ah bless.

Well you did mention cool'ness, the people I know who smoke do it for pleasure not to be cool, though maybe with the people you hang around with such things as smoking, ones style of dress or speech etc determines your level of cool'ness.
    I'm a bit too old for such trivialities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

There's plenty of pubs in England with Pints at £1.50 or less, and they manage to turn a profit. I know duty and everything is higher in Ireland, but take into account, the cheapest can in a typical off licence in England is about 70p. In Ireland about €1.20 So that's not that much of a difference. About 40c or so.
    Better to have a packed pub at €2 a pint, than an empty one at €5 a pint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

you just proved me right !!!Your wording is totally different to mine and you were putting words in my mouth,gombeen

so which part did i misunderstand please explain were i misinterpreted you? its not my fault if you cant explain the crazy notions you have going on in your head now is it?

as an aside, i never report people on this site so i dont particularly care but if you keep trying to insult people instead of picking apart their actual posts you are going to get a ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

personally with all the alcoholism in this country i thoughtthe price should be raised along with cigs

I totally disagree with you, I can pop down to my local supermarket and on any given day pick up a bottle of Smirnoff/Absolut vodka for €16 and with mixers the total cost is €20, sit in and drink myself to oblivion whereas if I took that €20 and went to a local bar I'd have maybe 3 drinks.

Raising the price of alcohol will never curb alcoholism, it will only serve to turn people off going to bars and clubs and force people to drink at home and drink excessively more than they normally would.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

AnneFrank banned. Please do not respond to the now banned poster as he cannot answer back.

....snip....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

In some pubs in Cork you can get a pint of beamish for €2.60 before 9 o clock, and this is the norm.

Cider is a couple of Euros dearer, but in the Brog you can get a pint for around €3 in the daytime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

TheZohan wrote: »
    Raising the price of alcohol will never curb alcoholism, it will only serve to turn people off going to bars and clubs and force people to drink at home and drink excessively more than they normally would.

Raising the price will only hit the pubs more and get more to flock towards the off-license. I would go to the pub more often around Galway but, like you said, it's cheaper to get stuff from the offy and supermarkets.

Every weekend I treat myself to an 8 pack of Bavaria for €8 since I don't have the dough to go out and get pissed in public. It's great to relax watching a movie or what-not and can make that pack last the 2 nights if I cared to.

• Advertisement

Yes.

No sign of a €3000 fine anywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

bit of a pointless thread,the price cannot be reduced to such low levels,personally with all the alcoholism in this country i thoughtthe price should be raised along with cigs,and why would they give a splash when they can make double the margin on splits,

Utterly pointless post. This business of raising the price of things to stop addicts from getting their fix is utter sh1te and all it does is worsen the situation for the addict's family. This is the same for smokers as well as alcoholics.

Add a Euro to the price of drink and all you're doing is taking food out of the mouth of the alcoholic's family and/or dependants.

And for your information, pints are 3 euro a pint in my uncle's pub. Despite this low price, society still manages to keep on going in his neck of the woods.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

syklops wrote: »
    Utterly pointless post. This business of raising the price of things to stop addicts from getting their fix is utter sh1te and all it does is worsen the situation for the addict's family. This is the same for smokers as well as alcoholics.

Add a Euro to the price of drink and all you're doing is taking food out of the mouth of the alcoholic's family and/or dependants.

And for your information, pints are 3 euro a pint in my uncle's pub. Despite this low price, society still manages to keep on going in his neck of the woods.

I agree with you.
    Note the person you responded to has been banned a few posts back so don't let them wind you up.
    If they stated their views in public we could just roll our eyes & keep on walking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭tvbrat

The price of a pint can also depend on where you sit with a group of people :)
    http://www.facebook.com/Pint.Price

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    I agree with you.
    Note the person you responded to has been banned a few posts back so don't let them wind you up.
    If they stated their views in public we could just roll our eyes & keep on walking.

Her post on the first page enraged me so that I had to respond without reading the full thread.

One of the posters here said(I am paraphrasing) "Why dont pubs have loyalty cards, coffe shops do, why not pubs?".

Oil Can Harry's on Mount Street(in Dublin) do, or used to anyway. Everytime you buy a pint of the black stuff, you got a stamp on a card. 10 stamps and you get a free pint.

The last time I was in there pints were about 3.70-ish, which for Dublin 4 is not bad at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭jum4

tvbrat wrote: »

i dont get it??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    What would make you go back to the pub ?

1. No television, or at least it being permanently off. The overwhelming number of pubs fail to give this basic respect to their patrons who go to a pub for a conversation with friends.

2. Toilets up to a high standard. A large majority of pubs should be closed down based on the state of their toilets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭thenutflush

I think 3.20 would be a decent price. 3 pints or a tenner with some shrapnel left over. But even at that, I'd only go occasionally.

I haven't drank in a pub in over a year because the prices are too high. When I hear 4.60 or 4.80 I just think of handing over a 5 euro note for something which I could get for 1 euro in a supermarket and I grimace.

I know pubs are only earning thin profit on every pint after all costs have been taken into account, but personally, it would take 2.00 euro - 2.50 max pints to get me to go there say 3 times a month, and that's probably quite unrealistic. To get the price of a pint down there needs to be deflation of all costs associated with running a pub ie. the staffs' wages, the number of staff, the rent of a premises, heating and electricity costs along with an acceptance by the publican to lose a small percentage of his personal income.

Taytos and peanuts etc. could be cut from 1.25(in my local) to 1 euro or 80 cent also, because when you're drinking you'd likely feel like eating 2 or 3 bags (let's face it, they are 10 times nicer when you're drinking), but you're likely to only eat 1 when they cost 1.25 (or more) because it's quite extortionate. They do buy the crisps in bulk after all, so I'd guess they only pay 30 cent - 50 cent for a bag. So there's a slight edge to be made there by cutting the price of salty snacks, I would imagine.
    ie. instead of taking in (1 x 1.25= 1.25) they take in (2 x 1.00 = 2.00) or maybe (3 x 0.90 = 2.70).

tvbrat wrote: »

All that chart shows is that if you are drinking with more people a round will cost more because you're buying more drinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Does anyone know at what point the prices went ott? Even though prices got expensive wages did go up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭bog master

no pints over 3 euro would be a good start as far as i know a keg is still less then 150euro(open to correction) if i was to go and try and get one so im sure they get it in bulk for cheaper.

a keg has around 100 pints in it so a 300% mark up is ridicolous

is the alcohol tax a fixed amount or is it a percentage? if its a fixed amount it changes things a bit but not by much

A bit off the mark here. I used to do accounts for a pub, tho these prices are from last May.

50L keg of Guinness cost is €131.66 NET of VAT
    Approx 90 pints per keg, one pint= €1.46 NET of VAT

At my rural local, pint is €3.60
    LESS VAT € .62
    Publican's take €2.98

Selling price ex VAT €2.98
    Buy from Diageo ex VAT €1.46
    Profit from Pint €1.52

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

bog master wrote: »

A bit off the mark here. I used to do accounts for a pub, tho these prices are from last May.

50L keg of Guinness cost is €131.66 NET of VAT
    Approx 90 pints per keg, one pint= €1.46 NET of VAT

At my rural local, pint is €3.60
    LESS VAT € .62
    Publican's take €2.98

Selling price ex VAT €2.98
    Buy from Diageo ex VAT €1.46
    Profit from Pint €1.52

lets say you've 50 in your small local pub on a Sat night then and they each drink an average of 7 pints each - that's €511 profit. when you've to pay for heating, electricity, insurance etc it doesn't really make you think they're on a goldmine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

lets say you've 50 in your small local pub on a Sat night then and they each drink an average of 7 pints each - that's €511 profit. when you've to pay for heating, electricity, insurance etc it doesn't really make you think they're on a goldmine.
    And to be fair, I think you've been quite generous regarding the number of customers and the number of pints. That would be a pretty good Saturday night in my local. And then you have the rest of the week when you'd maybe have 10 people in having one or two pints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

So if publicans dropped their price of a pint, they lose profit. Well tough sh!t, not every business can automatically be a license to print money. They are not providing a highly skilled service and in most cases they seem to be providing a poor service. If you see small pubs and cafes in germany, france etc, their owners turn a modest profite - enough to keep their family and business going and that is good enough. ****ing greedridden irish publicans expecting to become millionaires by serving mouldy pints in piss stained shacks. Get real!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

fontanalis wrote: »
    Does anyone know at what point the prices went ott? Even though prices got expensive wages did go up.

The price never went over the top. In fact I think they've gotten relatively cheaper.

Its just that alcohol in off-licenses has gotten so much cheaper and pubs have not adapted to the changing market quickly enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

are you people mad,it wouldnt do any harm,if most people thought it was ok ?what about the people that dont think it's ok ?what about the staff?what about the law ?Just give up it's way better for your health and will save you a small fortune,the moaners are just the people who dont have the willpower to give up

People like you that preach to people. You actually do no good at all. You wont convince anyone to do anything.

I don't smoke btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Profit!=mark-up

Think it needs to be stated just to make it clear that just cause there is a mark-up of let's say €2, this does not equal a profit of €2.

Profit will be much smaller, after you take all the costs involved out of the mark-up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭bog master

no pints over 3 euro would be a good start as far as i know a keg is still less then 150euro(open to correction) if i was to go and try and get one so im sure they get it in bulk for cheaper.

a keg has around 100 pints in it so a 300% mark up is ridicolous

is the alcohol tax a fixed amount or is it a percentage? if its a fixed amount it changes things a bit but not by much

also free soft drinks for designated drivers would get me back also, i have no problem being in a pub and not drinking if im with my mates but only if i have something else to drink and not a chance im spending 4 euro on a coke or whatever

the 'traditional' business's in this country are a joke i wouldnt be suprised if all the pub /club owners in the cities got together and did some illegal cartelling every year
    bog master wrote: »

My point exactly!

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    People like you that preach to people. You actually do no good at all. You wont convince anyone to do anything.

I don't smoke btw.

They're already banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

A better variety of beers wouldn't go astray. I like German/Czech beers and very hard to get familiar names in alot of pubs.

I'm sick of going into pubs and all my choice is just from Bud, Carlsberg, Guinness, Bulmers and maybe Heineken. Out of these I do not drink cider and will plump for Guinness as they have a good quality control team to make sure the pints are good hence higher probability of getting a good pint unlike the other drinks from which I have horrendous stomach problems from before due to bad pints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

They're already banned.

I didn't read the whole thread when I posted that. Apologies.

• Advertisement

enda1 wrote: »
    Profit!=mark-up

Think it needs to be stated just to make it clear that just cause there is a mark-up of let's say €2, this does not equal a profit of €2.

Profit will be much smaller, after you take all the costs involved out of the mark-up.
    I actually think a lot of them need to focus more on providing simple pub food. The likes of sandwiches and chips can come with insanely large profit margins and don't require any particular skills or much overhead to service.

E.g. You'll get 5kg of chips @ wholesale prices for about €2.50. That'll feed ten or twelve people without being scabby and you can charge €2 per portion. Add in the cost of ketchup (€2) and other sundries like the oil and cleaning, and you're making around €15 profit on a bag of chips. You can think about similar figures for simple sandwiches, sausages, etc.

This would give many publicans the scope to lower the price of a pint while making even more money than they did previously.

You only have to look at how the chippers get completely jammed when the pubs close to see what kind of junk food goldmine publicans are missing out on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

A job it would be nice to find a job and go back to the pub

the off - license in my local nowadays :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

Why should the pub be saved? It hasnothing to offer society in it's current form. And don't give me that baloney that's it's sociable. There's nothing sociable about getting shut faced, talking utter rubbish and waking up with no recollection and €150 less well off. Besides that, they're not even your real friends. They bitch about everyone else when they're not around and they're bitching about you too. You know it's true. Time to get a life.

seamus wrote: »
    I actually think a lot of them need to focus more on providing simple pub food. The likes of sandwiches and chips can come with insanely large profit margins and don't require any particular skills or much overhead to service.

E.g. You'll get 5kg of chips @ wholesale prices for about €2.50. That'll feed ten or twelve people without being scabby and you can charge €2 per portion. Add in the cost of ketchup (€2) and other sundries like the oil and cleaning, and you're making around €15 profit on a bag of chips. You can think about similar figures for simple sandwiches, sausages, etc.

This would give many publicans the scope to lower the price of a pint while making even more money than they did previously.

You only have to look at how the chippers get completely jammed when the pubs close to see what kind of junk food goldmine publicans are missing out on.

Couldn't agree more. If instead of adding a euro to a pint after 11 they started selling chips, they could make a small killing. Instead they close the kitchen at 10pm, if they even have a kitchen.

When your drunk and hungry, you always order more food than you actually need. Its practically free money for publicans. It just takes a little bit of work and imagination.

20goto10 wrote: »
    Why should the pub be saved? It hasnothing to offer society in it's current form. And don't give me that baloney that's it's sociable. There's nothing sociable about getting shut faced, talking utter rubbish and waking up with no recollection and €150 less well off. Besides that, they're not even your real friends. They bitch about everyone else when they're not around and they're bitching about you too. You know it's true. Time to get a life.

Whhaaaattt????

But those guys down the local all love me. There's Kev and that lad with the lazy eye, and the barman who smells of onions and the old rugby player who always calls me ArmanoBoy.

You need to drink less and get new friends. If you're getting **** faced in the pub and talking to dickheads...that's your problem. :)

I go to the pub on many a Thursday night with between 3 and 8 other guys - depending on who's around of course. Some are family, others are friends, others not so much.

We usually have 4 or five pints each, spend the night talking complete and utter nonsense about current events, throwing in the odd slag and joke here and there, then roll home after spending about €25 each.

It's social, it's fun, and totally worth it. It would be a shame to lose it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Of course it's sociable. The fact you are out talking to people makes it that way. What else do you expect people to do or better yet what do you expect from a night out? Fireworks ?

You're Watching too many films I think. Drink goes hand in hand with talking to people, it's an Irish institution, you're the outsider here ;)

Yeah and btw everyone spends €150 on a night out :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

You spend 150 on a night out, about 20 or 25 drinks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

fontanalis wrote: »
    You spend 150 on a night out, about 20 or 25 drinks!

Think that figure might include taxis, nightclub entry and food. Still though, with all that in mind I've never spent close to that on a night out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Of course it's sociable. The fact you are out talking to people makes it that way. What else do you expect people to do or better yet what do you expect from a night out? Fireworks ?

You're Watching too many films I think. Drink goes hand in hand with talking to people, it's an Irish institution, you're the outsider here ;)

Yeah and btw everyone spends €150 on a night out :rolleyes:
    You could take out the over priced alcohol and still do everything you mentioned above. The problem is it's the only thing Irish people know. Well that is until recent years when people have started doing other things. Pubs have nothing to offer. You can do so much more calling over to a mates. Watch a movie, play poker, xbox/ps3. You can have a cigarette and listen to your own taste in music and at a comfortable volume. You can have a drink if you like but drink becomes part of something else. It's not a drinking occasion, it's a poker game or it's a console session and the fact someone may or may not have a drink as part of it becomes irrelevant.

Advertisement