Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Price of the Pint - What would make you go back to the pub ?

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Does it not depend on the pub? Some of the old pubs are nice places and have a nice atmosphere, I like the idea of going to a place that not wedged with morons and stinking of red bull.
    The attitude of drinking in Ireland comes into it too, the idea of drinking as much as possible in as little time as possible to get as drunk as possible is moronic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

Crucify Daire O'Brien in a pay-per-view event on Sky and we'll talk.

If there is one thing putting me off the pub it's that fúckers ads on the radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

people forget that the vintners associations froze the price of drink for members back in 2008. at first it made sense because you thought they were tackling the recession early then it sunk in that what they were in actual fact doing was standardising the price so individual members wouldn't drop prices thereby forcing widespread drops across the industry.

it was a disgrace imo and something that didn't recieve enough attention.

The Vintners did not do this.

After discovering diageo had yet another increase in the pipeline they lobied against it. Declaring they would not increase the price of drink and would not pay for increases on the keg.

They also tried to ease fears by introducing a price freeze - this was for the good of he customer - in the vintners eyes anyway.

It was meant to say - things are getting tough, we wont put up the prices - The competition authority went ballistic because at the time we had started to go into deflation - yet there had been no decrease in the price of supplies.

The CA then turned the situation on its head declaring it was a country wide price FIX? Which was not the case - it was just an undertaking by individual members not to increase their individual prices.

Accusing them of fixing the price for the country is far from fair - at the time they were trying to be helpful to people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

20goto10 wrote: »
    You could take out the over priced alcohol and still do everything you mentioned above. The problem is it's the only thing Irish people know. Well that is until recent years when people have started doing other things. Pubs have nothing to offer. You can do so much more calling over to a mates. Watch a movie, play poker, xbox/ps3. You can have a cigarette and listen to your own taste in music and at a comfortable volume. You can have a drink if you like but drink becomes part of something else. It's not a drinking occasion, it's a poker game or it's a console session and the fact someone may or may not have a drink as part of it becomes irrelevant.

The whole point of going to the pub is to just drink and talk to people, that's what appeals to most people. To get away from everyday things.

I go over to my mates house for poker and xbox but the thing about the pub is that you always meet people you wouldn't normally see unlike a mates house where it is a closed circle. Pub = public, that's the appeal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

ardinn wrote: »
    Accusing them of fixing the price for the country is far from fair - at the time they were trying to be helpful to people.

LOL

Nate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

20goto10 wrote: »
    You can do so much more calling over to a mates. Watch a movie, play poker, xbox/ps3. You can have a cigarette and listen to your own taste in music and at a comfortable volume.
    That's all well and good for the single twentysomethings. For the rest of the planet with children and spouses, a pub is the only venue that doesn't require ten days planning in advance to sit down and have a chat with people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

max €3.50 a pint and this back on the tables.

That would do it for me as well.

Smoking ban put an end to my pub days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭High energy

€3 a pint and I'd pretty much live in pubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

knipex wrote: »
    That would do it for me as well.

Smoking ban put an end to my pub days.

And started a lot of non smokers pub days..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

bog master wrote: »

lets say you've 50 in your small local pub on a Sat night then and they each drink an average of 7 pints each - that's €511 profit. when you've to pay for heating, electricity, insurance etc it doesn't really make you think they're on a goldmine.

i never said small locals were sitting on a goldmine though and 3.60 for a pint is quite reasonable however there is nowhere in limerick city or dublin city were i can get a pint of heineken for 3.60. 4-5 euro is the norm

i dont think anyone is talking about small local pubs in the countryside being expensive. its large pubs and clubs in towns and cities that are the rip offs

there is also far higher markup on spirits and mixers then on beer

My point exactly!

thats great, his figures arent for the type of pub or club im talking about though he is talking about a small local pub

if i assume that the costs are the same for say, smyths in limerick city as it is for that small pub then

price of a pint is around 5euro(some are a bit more some are a bit less with guiness being the cheapest)
    Selling price ex VAT €3.95
    Buy from Diageo ex VAT €1.46
    Profit from Pint €2.49

the capacity of that place is at least 500 and probably close to 800/900 if you include the club its attached onto. if every person buys one pint thats 2K profit right there, if everyone buys 2 pints thats all the wages of the barmen and other staff taken care of for the night(besides possibly the managers and head of security). now how many pints do you think people buy? and then dont forget shots and spirits and mixers and water with 1 euro splashes in them and the 10-15 euro cover charge and the 2/3 euro for the cloak room

thats a goldmine

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

bryaner wrote: »
    And started a lot of non smokers pub days..

Couldn't have been that many seeing as pubs all over the country are closing down.

Couldn't have been that many seeing as pubs all over the country are closing down.

due to high prices

not lack of people willing to spend their money

just lack of people who dont care about value for money

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭gamgsam

€3 pints

Or bitty

PeakOutput wrote: »
    due to high prices

Check out this. I know it's from Guinness, and there are other factors to take into account, but it is interesting.
    The price hasn't changed much (apparently) with respect to wages.

I like the figure on the right, how many pints you can get for a weeks wages...(hic) :D

Check out this. I know it's from Guinness, and there are other factors to take into account, but it is interesting.
    The price hasn't changed much (apparently) with respect to wages.

I like the figure on the right, how many pints you can get for a weeks wages...(hic) :D

ye ok i can understand that but that dosnt mean that the pint is worth that much if you know what i mean, i could earn a million that dosnt mean that to me a pint is worth 4grand

i know thats not what you were implying but still its not a very relevant index

also there is no point in using countrywide averages because the prices from cities and towns to rural areas varies massively, as it should, but that also means you cant discuss them in the same context.

people in cities and towns who go to large pubs and clubs are being seriously ripped off, and to an extent they have themselves to blame as they still flock to these places in the thousands but at the same time i dont have any sympathy for a publican who says they cant run a viable business in this climate

i never said small locals were sitting on a goldmine though and 3.60 for a pint is quite reasonable however there is nowhere in limerick city or dublin city were i can get a pint of heineken for 3.60. 4-5 euro is the norm

i dont think anyone is talking about small local pubs in the countryside being expensive. its large pubs and clubs in towns and cities that are the rip offs

thats great, his figures arent for the type of pub or club im talking about though he is talking about a small local pub

if i assume that the costs are the same for say, smyths in limerick city as it is for that small pub then

price of a pint is around 5euro(some are a bit more some are a bit less with guiness being the cheapest)
    Profit from Pint €2.49

the capacity of that place is at least 500 and probably close to 800/900 if you include the club its attached onto. if every person buys one pint thats 2K profit right there, if everyone buys 2 pints thats all the wages of the barmen and other staff taken care of for the night(besides possibly the managers and head of security). now how many pints do you think people buy? and then dont forget shots and spirits and mixers and water with 1 euro splashes in them and the 10-15 euro cover charge and the 2/3 euro for the cloak room

thats a goldmine

OK - there's allot wrong with that post -

Rates
    Insurance
    Fit-out

To name but three.

I would estimate a venue of that size the rates hit over €50,000
    Insurance could be well over €10k
    The fit out of venues - especially clubs is unreal - if the lighting system is anyway decent it would have cost up to 300k for sound & vision - probably more

Electrcity for the year - €60,000 - Heat - €15,000

Alot of extras in there so we'll call it €450,000 per year at an absolute minimum. - for just the club.

Factor in staff for the night - 900 people - maybe 50 people including managers and cloakroom, cleaners - security - averaging €15 per hour for 8 hours. - Thats €6,000

multiplied by 3 per weekend - 18,000 - by 52 weeks - €936,000

Sooooooo - your lookin at 1.5mil running costs for the year at best.

which is €9,615,38 per night open

Not including cost of sales - so you could probably conclude they need to clear over €20,000 per night to cover themselves alone.

So in conclusion - Nightclubs all over this country are closing down because there is no such thing as a goldmine anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭beaver111

Profit from Pint €2.49

thats a goldmine
    and now all the pubs are buying there drink in tesco by the van load i asked the guy working there were all the heiniken and bud was on sale at the time 15 yo yo a caseand he told me there buying it by the van load fcuking cowboys there all at it rip off ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

In most bigger towns and cities there is at least one pub where you can get pints for around three euro. The problem that I see is that with cheap pubs atmosphere is sacrificed. Pubs that have cheap drink tend, by their nature, to have a rowdy/scummy/gobsh1te crowd because those kind of people go there to get hammered. I would love to see a cheap pub with a strict policy on behaviour of its patrons. This way people could relax in a nice atmosphere without having to pay extra for the privilege.

beaver111 wrote: »
    and now all the pubs are buying there drink in tesco by the van load i asked the guy working there were all the heiniken and bud was on sale at the time 15 yo yo a caseand he told me there buying it by the van load fcuking cowboys there all at it rip off ireland

Tesco sells alcohol at below cost - if publicans do buy it they still need a vat reciept - and there is not one supermarket that will sell in bulk to one person - if that tesco is selling van loads of stock they are breaching there own policies.

ye ok i can understand that but that dosnt mean that the pint is worth that much if you know what i mean, i could earn a million that dosnt mean that to me a pint is worth 4grand

i know thats not what you were implying but still its not a very relevant index

also there is no point in using countrywide averages because the prices from cities and towns to rural areas varies massively, as it should, but that also means you cant discuss them in the same context.

people in cities and towns who go to large pubs and clubs are being seriously ripped off, and to an extent they have themselves to blame as they still flock to these places in the thousands but at the same time i dont have any sympathy for a publican who says they cant run a viable business in this climate

Well that index shows something I knew for years (having spent most of the last 30 years in the pub getting pissed), that is the price hasn't changed that much with respect to income.
    People have always paid way over the average for the dubious pleasure of the bigger pubs and clubs in the cities.

• Advertisement

OK - there's allot wrong with that post -

Rates
    Insurance
    Fit-out

To name but three.

I would estimate a venue of that size the rates hit over €50,000
    Insurance could be well over €10k
    The fit out of venues - especially clubs is unreal - if the lighting system is anyway decent it would have cost up to 300k for sound & vision - probably more

Electrcity for the year - €60,000 - Heat - €15,000

Alot of extras in there so we'll call it €450,000 per year at an absolute minimum. - for just the club.

Factor in staff for the night - 900 people - maybe 50 people including managers and cloakroom, cleaners - security - averaging €15 per hour for 8 hours. - Thats €6,000

multiplied by 3 per weekend - 18,000 - by 52 weeks - €936,000

Sooooooo - your lookin at 1.5mil running costs for the year at best.

which is €9,615,38 per night open

Not including cost of sales - so you could probably conclude they need to clear over €20,000 per night to cover themselves alone.

So in conclusion - Nightclubs all over this country are closing down because there is no such thing as a goldmine anymore.

there is nothing wrong with the post, his example didnt include running costs neither did mine. im obviously quite aware that there are running costs for a venue or a pub

also all your figures are over inflated especially the staff numbers. i used to work there.

if i had a couple of hours i could find out exact figures for every position but i dont to be honest.

from doing quick calculations on paper herei would say that the cost for running the place is about 30-45% lower then your figure and thats mainly because of your staff estimates. there are probably 40 people max staff over the entire course of a saturday there and the average wage excluding manager and assitant manager is nothing like 15euro. in fact i would say the assistant manager is on no more then 15 an hour.

Tesco sells alcohol at below cost - if publicans do buy it they still need a vat reciept - and there is not one supermarket that will sell in bulk to one person - if that tesco is selling van loads of stock they are breaching there own policies.

just to be clear thats not my post you quoted, i know its a type but still its not from me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Copper23

I still go to the pub, myself and the GF are still young, earning well, and are far too young to be having a very brats running around.

It's expensive but when was it not?

even if that is how much they need to cover their costs, which i dont believe for a second.

800 people paying 15 euro into a nightclub plus 2/3 euro for the cloakroom is close to 15K

there is nothing wrong with the post, his example didnt include running costs neither did mine. im obviously quite aware that there are running costs for a venue or a pub

also all your figures are over inflated especially the staff numbers. i used to work there.

if i had a couple of hours i could find out exact figures for every position but i dont to be honest.

from doing quick calculations on paper herei would say that the cost for running the place is about 30-45% lower then your figure and thats mainly because of your staff estimates. there are probably 40 people max staff over the entire course of a saturday there and the average wage excluding manager and assitant manager is nothing like 15euro. in fact i would say the assistant manager is on no more then 15 an hour.

After working and managing venues across the country when you take head door-men - and managers wages it takes the average well up - in dublin the average wage of a barmen exceeds €11ph and more. I also left out a massive proportion of overheads and other costs - so im probably pretty close - alot closer than you 35-40% guess.

even if that is how much they need to cover their costs, which i dont believe for a second.

800 people paying 15 euro into a nightclub plus 2/3 euro for the cloakroom is close to 15K

Why dont you believe it???

Why dont you believe it???

because the estimate that makes up the bulk of your 1.5million figure is wrong. the average wage is not 15euro an hour and there arent 50 people working there over the course of an entire day not to mind in one night. your other estimates i am prepared to accept but as i said i would say you are over estimating the cost of labour by about double

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭bog master

Just a point here as one who enjoys his few pints and has intimate knowlede of the pub trade in a RURAL area.

Most people are not aware of Health & Safety regulations and the cost involved in serving any kind of prepared ie cooked food. Several years ago, one of the three locals used to serve homemade soup, made by the publicans partner and simple sandwiches, toasted ham and cheese. Told
    to STOP, as the the soup ingredients could not be traced. The sandwiches were made behind the bar in a secure area, all ingredients in a fridge. NOT ON says the health board. Publican was advised you have to put in a proper kitchen. Not having the space and with a estimated cost of tiled floors, tiled walls or stainless steal, extractors fans, one sink for washing up when handling a vegetable, one sink for when handling a meat, and one general washing up sink, along with a separate toliet for kitchen staff, he gave up.

So to serve that bit of food, is not as easy as some make it out to be.

But I stress, I am not talking large town, city type pubs!

On to cheap pints now! One of the locals is doing a deal on lagers, Carlsberg and Bud I believe. 4 pints for €11.00. It seems from reports,I ,have not been there, the "regulars" are switching from stout or whatever, and the custom has not really increased by much. Another sad side effect seems to be more trouble on the weekend, when lads totally go mad, just to get pissed because they perceive the drink to be cheap and half a good reason to do just that.
    But at the end of the day, I prefer to go into a pub where the service is good,the atmosphere and decor welcomng, warm and clean, and my mates are. I go for the good time, not to get drunk!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Antomus Prime

Back the the opening question...........
    For me it's not really the cost of the drink that bothers me, yeah 4.50-5.00 is too much for a pint (and higher in clubs) but for me anyway the problems are as follows,

Alot of pubs around my area have no security sunday - thursday so they let any auld scumbag or nacker in who just annoy everyone there

The poor seating layouts... For example - The Old Mill Tallaght.
    They have one huge round bar in the middle of the pub, seems like a great idea but it takes up too much space and the place is always really cramped on a busy nite cause the walkways between the bar and the seats are so narrow and everybody has to stand there cause theres nowhere left to sit. 2 bars, one on both side walls would free up so much space in the middle.

Smoking area's, now before all you anti-smokers go off on your "if you wanna smoke it's your problem" i'll say this...... That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. But MY opinion is that publicans know that when you drink you tend to smoke more, so if you want the smokers to visit your establishment regularly then you need to facilitate them, being a usually cold and wet country, a decent shelter and a heater wouldn't go astray. Not only would it not cost alot but it would be very appreciated by the punters.

Now in saying that none of these reason stop me going to the pub but resolving them would make the experience alot more enjoyable......

• Advertisement

because the estimate that makes up the bulk of your 1.5million figure is wrong. the average wage is not 15euro an hour and there arent 50 people working there over the course of an entire day not to mind in one night. your other estimates i am prepared to accept but as i said i would say you are over estimating the cost of labour by about double

:confused: O.K. say barmen are on €12 head barmen and supervisors on €13 doormen on €18 and head and supervisory doormen on €20 Manager on €20 cleaners on €9

For 900 - you need
    10 cleaners / back bar/ cloak room - €90
    18 doormen - 1 per 50 patrons - recommended €324
    12-14 barmen € 143
    2-3- supervisors €30
    2 managers €40 - €5016 minimum = €782,500 Minimum - so say €800k

Taking my original estimate back to €19,000 per night.

If I can later i might do a full estimate - its only my estimate and can be incorrect depending on different places but its a rough giude - not to be taken as gospel of course - just trying to make it a little clearer and do sum light sums for people.

I said 40 people also.

Just a point here as one who enjoys his few pints and has intimate knowlede of the pub trade in a RURAL area.

Most people are not aware of Health & Safety regulations and the cost involved in serving any kind of prepared ie cooked food. Several years ago, one of the three locals used to serve homemade soup, made by the publicans partner and simple sandwiches, toasted ham and cheese. Told
    to STOP, as the the soup ingredients could not be traced. The sandwiches were made behind the bar in a secure area, all ingredients in a fridge. NOT ON says the health board. Publican was advised you have to put in a proper kitchen. Not having the space and with a estimated cost of tiled floors, tiled walls or stainless steal, extractors fans, one sink for washing up when handling a vegetable, one sink for when handling a meat, and one general washing up sink, along with a separate toliet for kitchen staff, he gave up.

So to serve that bit of food, is not as easy as some make it out to be.

But I stress, I am not talking large town, city type pubs!

On to cheap pints now! One of the locals is doing a deal on lagers, Carlsberg and Bud I believe. 4 pints for €11.00. It seems from reports,I ,have not been there, the "regulars" are switching from stout or whatever, and the custom has not really increased by much. Another sad side effect seems to be more trouble on the weekend, when lads totally go mad, just to get pissed because they perceive the drink to be cheap and half a good reason to do just that.
    But at the end of the day, I prefer to go into a pub where the service is good,the atmosphere and decor welcomng, warm and clean, and my mates are. I go for the good time, not to get drunk!

Good post - we put a small kitchen into one of our pubs 3 years ago - 1.5 chef kitchen - medium output - 200 per day MAX - Cost of kitchen was €144,000.00

:confused: O.K. say barmen are on €12 head barmen and supervisors on €13 doormen on €18 and head and supervisory doormen on €20 Manager on €20 cleaners on €9

For 900 - you need
    12-14 barmen € 143
    2-3- supervisors €30

If I can later i might do a full estimate - its only my estimate and can be incorrect depending on different places but its a rough giude - not to be taken as gospel of course - just trying to make it a little clearer and do sum light sums for people.

I have no experience per say clubs in urban areas, but in rural areas, those working the bar, with experience, get €10.00 per hour in the hand. And then one must add in the employers prsi and employee liability insurance is based on wages. Higher wages equates to higher premiums.

For 900 - you need
    12-14 barmen € 143
    2-3- supervisors €30

i understand thats thats what you think they are getting paid however

all the barmen are on minimum wage or one euro more

the barmen are the cleaners

the lounge girls are on minimum wage and are also the cleaners

there is one kind of unofficial supervisor who might be on 10/11 an hour as he does manager duties when they arent around

the bouncers might be on 10-12euro an hour head bouncer might be on a bit more

the assistant manager(this is where my guessing starts) is on no more then 15an hour(40 hour week(probably more hours then that) = 29K a year, sounds about right for assistant) manager might be on 20(40 hour week(probably more hours then that)=39K a year( id be suprised if it wasnt closer 34/35)

very very roughly and again excluding the manger and assistant thats an average of just over ten euro an hour

edit; as you have a few bars yourself i accept all your figures as far as rates insurance etc, but i can tell you with certainty that you are over estimating the cost of labour, i can obviously only speak for that one particular place i last worked.

edit2; it seems that you pay your staff very very fair wages and i hope you get better quality work from them as a result you definitely deserve it, in my limited bar experience the only people get much more then minimum wage were friends / family of the owners and supervisors up

I have no experience per say clubs in urban areas, but in rural areas, those working the bar, with experience, get €10.00 per hour in the hand. And then one must add in the employers prsi and employee liability insurance is based on wages. Higher wages equates to higher premiums.

this is not included in the giudes but it probably equates somewhere around the same - and we are talking about a dublin bar/club - where rates are higher - I know the cost is lower in rural areas - so is the price of a pint tho.

• Advertisement

Good post - we put a small kitchen into one of our pubs 3 years ago - 1.5 chef kitchen - medium output - 200 per day MAX - Cost of kitchen was €144,000.00

Thanks, to many have such distorted views of the pub trade. I only post to enlighten those who think running/owning a pub is a goldmine.

i understand thats thats what you think they are getting paid however

all the barmen are on minimum wage or one euro more

the barmen are the cleaners

the lounge girls are on minimum wage and are also the cleaners

there is one kind of unofficial supervisor who might be on 10/11 an hour as he does manager duties when they arent around

the bouncers might be on 10-12euro an hour head bouncer might be on a bit more

the assistant manager(this is where my guessing starts) is on no more then 15an hour(40 hour week(probably more hours then that) = 29K a year, sounds about right for assistant) manager might be on 20(40 hour week(probably more hours then that)=39K a year( id be suprised if it wasnt closer 34/35)

very very roughly and again excluding the manger and assistant thats an average of just over ten euro an hour

There is no doorman in the country that would work for €12 an hour.

The minimum I have paid ever even in the most rural areas you could imagine is €15 - Not a chance. Especially in dublin.

I did factor in cloakroom and lounge girls as cleaners - By the time the barmen finish glasses/stock - the cleaners should be gone. if the ass. Manager is on that little tell him I have plenty of work for him.

When I say assistant manager I am talking about an experienced ass, Manager (ha - ass manager) who is employed as that with proper responsibilities and functions - not a fella that was thrown the title with an extra euro thrown in just to make sure the staff dont smoke too many fags!

There is no doorman in the country that would work for €12 an hour.

The minimum I have paid ever even in the most rural areas you could imagine is €15 - Not a chance. Especially in dublin.

I did factor in cloakroom and lounge girls as cleaners - By the time the barmen finish glasses/stock - the cleaners should be gone. if the ass. Manager is on that little tell him I have plenty of work for him.

When I say assistant manager I am talking about an experienced ass, Manager (ha - ass manager) who is employed as that with proper responsibilities and functions - not a fella that was thrown the title with an extra euro thrown in just to make sure the staff dont smoke too many fags!

i havnt worked there for a while now thank god and maybe we were just getting absolutely taken advantage off but two of my mates were on the door of a similar sized club just up the road and were on around 12 an hour, and as i said all the barmen i was working with were on minimum wage

i havnt worked there for a while now thank god and maybe we were just getting absolutely taken advantage off but two of my mates were on the door of a similar sized club just up the road and were on around 12 an hour, and as i said all the barmen i was working with were on minimum wage

There are barmen unions in dublin - MANDATE make up the most - their terms of employment agree no less that €12.30 per hour (im 97% on that)

There are barmen unions in dublin - MANDATE make up the most - their terms of employment agree no less that €12.30 per hour (im 97% on that)

well this was limerick not dublin

i imagine the employee retention rate in limerick is far lower then in dublin due to most of the staff being students maybe thats how they get away with it

• Advertisement

well this was limerick not dublin

i imagine the employee retention rate in limerick is far lower then in dublin due to most of the staff being students maybe thats how they get away with it

Sorry - I thought we were talking Dublin. Thats where my figures were based.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

Thats crazy, if I asked for €12.30 an hour anywhere I've worked I'd be laughed out of the place!:eek: What about students etc. who work part-time in Dublin, surely they're not on that amount? And how does the union view them?

Dont know - I would presume this is for full time staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

What would make me go back to the pub? I haven't really left the pub.

I can't say my going out habit has dropped at all over the past 3 years (I lack discipline).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭johnn

A hand shandy from a spritely young one with every pint :cool:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The last excise duty increase on beer was in 1994
    Actually that's not totally true.
    Excise on low alcohol beers was dropped.

Excise rates
    Up to 1.2% €0

Beer exceeding 1.2% vol but not exceeding 2.8% vol - €7.85 per hectolitre per cent of alcohol in the beer,

All Other Beer exceeding 2.8% vol - €15.71 per hectolitre per cent of alcohol in the beer

example
    2.5% Lager = 2.5 * 7.85c per litre = 19.635c per litre ( 11.15c per litre)

5% Lager = 5% * 15.71 = 78.55c per litre ( 44.6c per pint )

Does anyone know of any pub that sells low alcohol lager at a resonable price ??

Does anyone feel any sympathy for the publicans complaining about the excise duty on beer ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

A choice of different beers would be good.

I remember visiting the US for the first time expecting to be drinking beer with the word light in the name. Instead there was a massive range of locally produced lagers, ales and stouts from local breweries. Beer created by people and companies who care about their product. Hell, Sam Adams lager which is probably (?) the biggest selling beer in America by an independent brewery is much better than every one of the beers served in the average Irish local. For a country synonymous beer, we drink some wretched swill.

Turn off the Sky Sports after 10. I don't want to watch an infinite loop of Sky Sports News. Liverpool lost, it's one of the reasons I'm drinking heavily, I don't need to be reminded until closing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

kfallon wrote: »
    Who says I ever left the pub in the first place???

Kfallon i might hate u riding bit you ddoes speak the truth:D

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭beaver111

what planet are you living on there a recession they take the hand of you for a profit publican have been doing this for years

Advertisement