Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Real reality or the one in your head?

• 09-12-2010 10:44am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Did you ever read a book and on page 116 the author suddenly reveals that the protagonist is tall with blond hair and a pronounced limp?

*sound of a vinyl turntable being plugged out suddenly*

Uh-huh, in your head the main character is a red-headed midget with tree-trunk thighs and a curious mistrust of bicycles.

What do you do? Ignore the writer and persist with your original imagining or retroactively search-and-replace the character in all the previous chapters?

Do you ever get that on boards? You build up some image of a poster, probably based on something ridiculous like their avatar, what forums they post in or their own descriptions of themselves and then one day you happen upon Know Your Nerds and.... "... the fcuk? That's not PsychoPleb501, he has a massive beer gut and a spider-web tattoo covering his face, this is a photo of a cute girl in a Dunnes uniform!"

Although it's actually weirder when they look just like you always imagined, or like their avatar.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I think you need to get out more. :D

Walk away from the computer, put down the book and have a break! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

I can't say I have imagined any poster on here, I don't even look at usernames , look at the post not the poster !

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Biggins wrote: »
    I think you need to get out more. :D

I will, in 5,449 posts time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I will, in 5,449 posts time.
    LOL

Why stop there? :pac:

Apparently a few posters have imagined me being a 30+ angry person.

Humph.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

Kimono-girl, based on her posts i had this whole image in my head, when i saw her she looked NOTHING like it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I reckon Biggins IS Commander Adama.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I did have a good vivid picture of some posters, then found them on the 'Know your nerds' forum and thought, ''That's not you''.

You know what they say: A thousand words create a picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Buy books with pictures.

QED

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

So what you're saying is you expected all of us to be beer gut laden balding losers when in fact we're all gorgeous, sexy fappable feats of fantasticness?

I get that, I thought it would take a lot longer to ejaculate when browsing the know your nerds than it did.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

I wish I'd thought of PsychoPleb as a username.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Kimono-girl, based on her posts i had this whole image in my head, when i saw her she looked NOTHING like it!

Yeah me too! I thought she was gonna be a really beautiful.............. wait..............nevermind

*hides from Karate chopper kimono girl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

*sound of a vinyl turntable being plugged out suddenly*

:pac:

Why do they do that in every feckin trailer or stuoid comedy film?

'It looks like.....the doggg.....is now the caaaat.....'

*Riiiiiiip*

Oh yeah, to answer your question op, sometimes I try to carry on reading with the image I had already built up in my head but it is hard when the limp or boil becomes central to the story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I picture Biggins as a badass...right now he's slurping his way through a bottle of whiskey while making witty comments on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Uh-huh, in your head the main character is a red-headed midget with tree-trunk thighs and a curious mistrust of bicycles.

This could be facekicker?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

This could be facekicker?

more like pighead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭MingulayJohnny

I get what you're saying OP. I think there is a certain element of Perceptual Distortion involved in web forums.The dynamic of face to face or even phone conversation is very different to communicating on forums. Especially when you've got a lot more feedback in terms of body language , tone of voice etc face to face. Text messages can be disastrously misinterpreted also , just by typing in capitals the intended message can be taken up the wrong way. There are people who mouth off on internet forums who wouldn't be able to make eye contact let alone argue a point in a real life argument\debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Happens all the time. Happens to me a lot when a film is made out of a book, the characters don't look I imagined them in my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Happens all the time. Happens to me a lot when a film is made out of a book, the characters don't look I imagined them in my head.

I especially don't like when the film has a completely different looking actor than how the character was described in the book. (eg The Beach).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Yep i'm like that. When you read a book and they bring out the film version and people are nothing like you imagined.
    And i do have images in my head of some boardsie's i've never met. Which look probably nothing like they do in real life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

You shouldn't judge a cover by it's book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I've never been much of a reader so i don't get it with fictional characters so much, i do however put faces to the voice on the radio, or to songs i hear. They aren't ever even close, with the curious exception of Marina Diamantes (aka marina and the diamonds) who looks more or less how i imagined she did, the sexy little beast! For those of you who don't know her, here she is in all her sultry gorgeousness:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

OutlawPete wrote: »
    You shouldn't judge a cover by it's book.

What about if the book is about designing attractive book covers, and it's book cover is crap?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

What about if the book is about designing attractive book covers, and it's book cover is crap?

There's always exceptions.

But in general, never judge a cover by it's book - as you'll just be disappointed.

People have fallen in love with my charm and wit here on Boards and were then shocked when they meant me, only to discover that I am not stunningly handsome at all at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Huh. Never thought about it before.

I wonder what people imagine for me :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

liah wrote: »
    Huh. Never thought about it before.

I wonder what people imagine for me :eek:

You have pics in the know your nerds, I don't have to imagine.

*fap, fap, fap, fap*

Advertisement