Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chipper style batter recipe

Options
  • 09-12-2010 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

Looks like fish and chips are going to be on the menu this weekend. Anybody got a good recipe for chipper style batter? I love Leo Burdocks fish and chips and crispy bits:D

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I made batter for fish goujons with just flour, a pinch of salt and lager (a can of Dutch Gold that someone left behind) and it was delicious. I made the batter very thick and coated the fish in flour first.
    You could put little blobs of batter into the oil separately to make your own 'bits'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

it's usually just flour and water in chippers, maybe some salt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Bjorn Bored.

Chippers just use a lagre bag of Odlums batter flour,no great secret!

just like this one!

http://kcnortonfoods.ie/products/dry-foods/flour/bread-flours/cream-flour-batter-flour-odlums-pf15-1-x-25kg-p-1085.html

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭breakfast roll

just like this one!

http://kcnortonfoods.ie/products/dry-foods/flour/bread-flours/cream-flour-batter-flour-odlums-pf15-1-x-25kg-p-1085.html

ne ideas if any supermarkets sell that? ive never seen Odlums batter flour. I think 25kg might be just a bit too much for my cupboard :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Bjorn Bored.

Sorry mate strictly wholesale as far as I am aware, buy a bag and open a chipper!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

Like Dizzyblonde, I'd go for larger, flour and salt.
    Make sure the larger is fresh and frothy - gives a fantastic light, crispy dry batter

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Some might but I have seen deliveries going into a few chippers and never spotted odlums, cannot recall the brands. Branded flour like odlums would be expensive.

A guy I know worked in burdocks before years ago, will see if he remembers what they use.

Soda water can be used in place of beer, the CO2 makes it lighter.

Is there anybody else there with insider knowledge? like our Chinese takeaway recipe guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Cornflour is good to make a really crisp tempura style batter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Richard Corrigan's Batter Recipe here:

http://www.rte.ie/food/2008/0610/fishtartarsauce.html

Usually I just use either:

Self-Raising Flour + Lager + Seasoning

or

Plain Flour + Milk + 1 Egg + Seasoning

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I think chipper batter is very simple, it's the oil/lard they use that makes it so nice. At home we all use healthy-ish cooking oil sunflower oil etc. but the stuff they use isn't very good for you but they don't care. All they care about is making it tasty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I think chipper batter is very simple, it's the oil/lard they use that makes it so nice.

Very true. If you melt a couple of blocks of Frytex in a pan and fry your fish in that it will taste more like the chipper's. It's what people used in their chip pans when I was a child and it makes great chips but of course it's not very healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

it's the oil/lard they use that makes it so nice. At home we all use healthy-ish cooking oil sunflower oil etc. but the stuff they use isn't very good for you but they don't care. .
    Actually thats debatable. I cook in lard and coconut oil (very high in saturated fat) for health reasons. I now avoid cooking in veg oil which is supposed to be unsuitable for frying as at high temps it is very unstable and degrade and become far from "healthy". Lard and coconut oil remain stable so are more suited to frying.

Advertisement