Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chain ring bolts

• 09-12-2010 11:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭

Anywhere in the city centre stock short bolts? Converting a triple crank to a single... plan is to remove the rings and just bolt on the largets one with shortened bolts, I presume this will work?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Yes, it'll work, but only as long as you can achieve a good chain line and with a tripe chainset that may be a little trickier than with a double. If you are using the middle chainring it is likely to be easier to achieve a good chain line than if you are using the outer chainring.

I've bought a set of shorter bolts in Cyclelogical in the past (a year or so ago I think). Very pricey for just a set of bolts though, but that seems to be the nature of parts sold for fixies/singlespeeds generally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Won't the outer ring bolt onto the inside of the spider? That would improve the chain line...

It should do, I will be using a hub spacer kit anyway(singlespeed) so chainline shouldn't be an issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Won't the outer ring bolt onto the inside of the spider? That would improve the chain line...

Yes, that's what I did with mine (on a double chainset). My previous post wasn't clear, I should have referred to middle chainring *position* rather than to the chainring itself.

...oh, and my referring to mloc123's triple chainset as a "tripe chainset" was a typo rather than an aspersion on its quality. :)

• Advertisement

After stripping the chainset last night I think I will just buy a few washers at lunch time, the current bolts are about 1mm too long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

Why do that?? Any shop in the country should have single chain ring bolts,if they don't I wouldn't shop there,Mikes Bikes in Dun Laoghaire have them in stock at one fifty each,not too pricey,not sure where you live though!

Tried my local, not very good bike shop this morning, but they had none. 4 10mm washers (5c each) did the job in the end.

Advertisement