Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most reliable VoIP provider

Options
  • 09-12-2010 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭

Hi,

From your own experiences, which VoIP provider do you find to be the most reliable?

I've had experience with the following:

Magnet - Good
    Smart - Good
    Blueface - Poor ( mainly due to their downtime )
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

With UPC for inbound calls but routing all outbound over the UPC internet connection through Rynga - a Betamax company. Free landline calls around Europe and America and calls to Irish mobiles are just 0.07c per minute.

Compare the prices across the companies - http://progx.ch/home-voip-prixbetamax-3-1-1.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Blueface - Poor
    ....... not my experience ........ so no need to change

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭knuth

....... not my experience ........ so no need to change

Have you found them good? I've witnessed alot of downtime this year but haven't had any experience with them in 2009.

lordlame wrote: »
    Have you found them good? I've witnessed alot of downtime this year but haven't had any experience with them in 2009.

My experience has been good overall.
    I do not use their service for business.
    In fact I doubt I would be inclined to tie myself to any one provider for business use, either for VOIP service or for internet connection.

I have had very little down time and most of it was notified beforehand, and in the early hours of the morning when it did not affect me.
    Also a lot of my VOIP calls do not go through Blueface ...... they are dialled direct to IP address.

Shít happens and maybe I am a little more tolerant of the odd such occurrence than others.

So I have had no reason to change, although I have looked at others, as they are posted about, here.

The only real negative I have with them is the cost of calling Irish mobile phones ........ something apparently they can do nothing about.

Just a personal experience ........ others may have different experiences.

regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

Re Blueface this thread says it all
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055920583

We currently use both Smart and Blueface for our business with an analogue backup from Eircom( In two years it's never been down). I've had a couple of issues with Imagine but they're upfront when they have an issue. Blueface have had me tearing apart a PABX when they knew it was a firewall issue.
    They upgraded them and didn't think to mention it when they went offline also in the past both their site and phones go offline when they do :eek: I've 8 users with 8 lines btw

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

imo Blueface offer a service that is VoIP - Needs to be reliable. I got emails from Blueface informing me that they were upgrading on a sunday - that's ok it didn't affect me but probably affected others. I as aware of it so I forwarded the calls to my mobile - which is what it does if my broadband is down or there's an issue connecting to the VoIP phone.

Sometimes their phone is unanswered mainly due to calling after hours - closed.:mad:

Another company which was discussed here - goldfish.ie setup last year, I tried them out and they were fine, Blueface is more established so I would stay there.

You don't have much of a choice with Irish VOIP providers.

Blueface 9/10. Due to downtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Tomtata

Using Blueface for a number of years now and find it excellent (Personal & Business)

Heres a quick example

calls.png

36,000 calls in 2010 - there was a couple of outages but if you put backups in places users wont even know about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 dolandy

Have blueface personal & business also. Very happy with the service. No reason to move....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

lordlame wrote: »
    Hi,

From your own experiences, which VoIP provider do you find to be the most reliable?

I've had experience with the following:

Magnet - Good
    Smart - Good
    Blueface - Poor ( mainly due to their downtime )
    can't agree with you about blueface, I've been with them over 2yrs & I can only think of one downtime which was there fault,..that was a few weeks back,..other downtimes were due to my UPC broadband going down,..can't hold blueface to account for UPC BB line faults.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Earth Traveller

championc wrote: »
    through Rynga - a Betamax company. Free landline calls around Europe and America and calls to Irish mobiles are just 0.07c per minute.

Actually, Rynga charges 7 cent a minute to Irish mobiles - still cheap though.

• Advertisement

lensman wrote: »
    can't agree with you about blueface, I've been with them over 2yrs & I can only think of one downtime which was there fault,..that was a few weeks back,..other downtimes were due to my UPC broadband going down,..can't hold blueface to account for UPC BB line faults.

Have had several clients with them who encountered multiple downtime events last year ( 2010 ).

Downtime is easily noticeable with business users.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 phoneranger

have been using Blueface for quite a while now without any issues.

the big plus with Blueface is the ability to have three numbers ring at the same time, also the fact that you can set up a backup number should your broadband go down. not sure if any of the other SIP providers give this as standard, would be interested to know if anyone else does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 kevin_d

have to agree been very impressed with blueface.
    Been using their service for going on 3 yrs and in that time can count the number of times it's been down on one hand in that time. Never looked back or considered going back to eircom since i ported my number.

K.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Fireman1

Tried Blueface for business. Worked well. Thought I would try it at home but found that they prohibit the use of Names or addresses in Irish. Found an alternative provider Jumblo. They are registered in Luxemburg. They do not have a problem with people using Irish and are only 9c a min for mobiles. Calls to Irish and UK landlines are free. Blueface charge. When Irish suppliers do not want to provide a service, there are alternatives.

Fireman1 wrote: »
    Tried Blueface for business. Worked well. Thought I would try it at home but found that they prohibit the use of Names or addresses in Irish..

I'm sorry, what exactly do you mean by this? Please see below their TOS.
    FYI- Blueface TOS:
    • Unlimited residential plans are for residential use only
    • Customers purchasing products that include Irish geographic PSTN numbers acknowledge that they are normally resident in the Irish geographic MNA (Minimum Numbering Area) that the number is requested for. It is in contravention of the Irish Communications Regulatory body directives to subscribe to a geographic PSTN number if you are not normally resident in the MNA of the Irish geographic number allocated to you.
    • Geographic numbers are not provided free of charge but are included as part of most call plans. Any additional numbers provided are chargeable. Geographic numbers are only maintained on a customer's account where payment is fully up to date.
    • Customers should wait to verify and test any assigned numbers prior to publishing numbers on websites, signs, telephone directories, company stationery or any other format. Blueface accepts no liability for costs where a number is subsequently shown not to work as required.
    • Any queries regarding Geographic numbers should be forwarded to accounts@blueface.ie
    • Customers purchasing products that include Ireland 076 VoIP numbers acknowledge that they are normally resident in Ireland or have a strong and genuine link with Ireland. It is in contravention of the Irish Communications Regulatory body directives to subscribe to an Irish 076 VoIP number if you do not meet one of the above conditions.

Mr_Grumpy wrote: »
    I'm sorry, what exactly do you mean by this? Please see below their TOS.
    FYI- Blueface TOS:

I think he's referring to them not allowing the use of Gaeilge when registering; ie:

Padhair Daithí,
    Go Deas,
    mBaile Atha Cliath

Didn't read it properly- thought it was to do with Irish numbers/geographic numbering.:D The Blueface website could do with a redesign IMO-:D

Jumblo is a good one-Must look into that.

Jumblo is just another Betamax / Dallmont company. I use Rynga which is 2c cheaper per min than Jumblo and you also get 30 more Freedays than Jumblo. Mind you, I ran out of credit after about 80 days so 120 is a huge number but there again, it's down to your usage (landline or mobile) and destinations.

Be wary of some of the crafty providers in this group who apply a call setup charge so one may have a very low p/m charge but if you apply the call setup charge, suddenly things change. There are also variations between the number of "free" minutes per week. Rynga allows 300.

Compare the Betamax companies at http://progx.ch/home-voip-prixbetamax-3-1-1.html (this link shows Freedays) or http://backsla.sh/betamax or http://techjunk.nl/?showpage=betamax

C

I will look into that tomorrow. Jumblo have no connection fee.

Don't forget about VAT, which might be applicable to you.

Mr_Grumpy wrote: »
    I will look into that tomorrow. Jumblo have no connection fee.

Don't forget about VAT, which might be applicable to you.

I am currently trialling VoipWise ..... it is 9c per minute for Irish mobiles, with no setup charge.

The VAT & any charges are paid on the purchase ....... so when I bought €10 credit I paid VAT (15% ) and a 60c charge, so the payment was €12.19 in total .... for €10 credit.

The call costs for Irish mobiles are thus 10.971 cent € per minute or part of a minute incl VAT.

Overall that is about half price when compared to other providers such a Eircom or the mobile operators (unless you buy into a plan).
    Some of course may use per second billing, which is usually a help in reducing costs of calls.

• Advertisement

You can get MUCH cheaper prices than that. Check out VoIP Pricing . You can find the cheapest VoIP Service there.

Are you involved with this website? "Oh my god check this out!" There's the same 3 providers there and it's in the US so I doubt its even for irish service.

When choosing voip providers, make sure you have a backup plan for emergency services, blueface allow emergency service calling with their service.

Compare the prices across the companies - http://progx.ch/home-voip-prixbetamax-3-1-1.html

I use Rynga which gives me 120 freedays but my usage would indicate that I could switch to a 90 freeday provider if one had a lower p/m cost for chargable calls. (i.e. I run out of chargable call credit well before the 120 freedays have expired)

I'm on UPC so it's my Backup if the VoIP ever fails - which it hasn't once yet and I'm on it about 4 months. I use UPC for my inbound calls though.

C

Fireman1 wrote: »
    Tried Blueface for business. Worked well. Thought I would try it at home but found that they prohibit the use of Names or addresses in Irish. Found an alternative provider Jumblo. They are registered in Luxemburg. They do not have a problem with people using Irish and are only 9c a min for mobiles. Calls to Irish and UK landlines are free. Blueface charge. When Irish suppliers do not want to provide a service, there are alternatives.

Can you call 0818/1890 etc with Jumblo? It is wierd that Blueface wont allow Irish names and addresses for registering accounts..:(

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Guillaume77

Hi guys,

I'm from Blueface.
    Thought I would try it at home but found that they prohibit the use of Names or addresses in Irish

We don't mind Irish names for sign up and allow a good few specific characters.
    Could you send me a PM or send a quick mail to support@blueface.ie with the problem you experienced, please ? I'll take a look at it.
    Thanks

Hi guys,

I'm from Blueface.

We don't mind Irish names for sign up and allow a good few specific characters.
    Could you send me a PM or send a quick mail to support@blueface.ie with the problem you experienced, please ? I'll take a look at it.
    Thanks

That's what I like to here BF. At least now we know we can register with irish names...:rolleyes:

Advertisement