Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Max says Sepultura Classic Reunion Won't Happen Due to Paulo Jr

Options
  • 09-12-2010 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

Max recently did an interview in which he spoke about a lot, including the reunion of the classic Sepultura line up
    Sonic Excess: The classic SEPULTURA lineup reunion is always a subject, and it almost happened. Why did it fall though? I also heard that you will join SEPULTURA for Rock in Rio III. If this is true, will Igor be joining you?

Max: I have not heard anything about that, as far as trying to get SEPULTURA back together. I did call Andreas, and I had a real good talk with him. It sounded like he wanted to do it, and I had Igor onboard for the reunion. I think the only person preventing it is Paulo. I don't know why, but I think Paulo is really against the reunion. People should ask him why he is so against it, because I think it would be a great think for the fans to see the original lineup. SEPULTURA was one of the most important bands in the metal scene, and it would have been really cool to do it. I don't need a reunion, because SOULFLY and CAVALERA CONSPIRACY are doing great, but I would like to do it for the fans to show them we had this kick-ass band. We can do it again, but people should ask Paulo why it doesn't appeal to him.

Sonic Excess: Have you listened to the new SEPULTURA CDs? If so, what is your opinion on them?

Max: No, I never felt like I wanted to. I never got the chance, or the albums, not even the stuff that Igor did. I never got to hear that. I don't know, not familiar with it man. To me it's really weird, SEPULTURA, to me, has a name. It was something I created in high school, and it was like my baby for all these years. I came up with the name, and I wrote a lot of the songs. When I left, it was really hard for me to go and listen to something called "SEPULTURA."

This comes hot off the heels of his last comments Paulo just last week, stating Paulo couldn't even play bass competently for almost 10 years ad that Andreas and himself recorded all studio bass parts in secret unbeknownst to their fans

So what do you think, is this Max shouting his mouth off about Sepultura in an effort to discredit them even more so now his brother has departed, or is their an internal war within the camp - as the sole original founding member, does Paulo now have control over the Sepultura machine - and is he unwilling to let this go?

The current Sepultura line up have just signed a new record deal and confirmed an extensive US Tour for 2011, they have also been confirmed as playing a selection of European festivals, and a club tour is scheduled to follow

Do you believe Paulo is preventing Max from reforming the classic Sepultura? 9 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 9 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

I think the current "Sepultura" should have the common decency to change the name.

It seems to be perpetuating what is merely a brand used for recognition.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Passenger wrote: »
    I think the current "Sepultura" should have the common decency to change the name.

It seems to be perpetuating what is merely a brand used for recognition.
    Why should they?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Nailz wrote: »
    Why should they?

Because they are not really them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Because they are not really them.

They may not be the original band, but they are Sepultura. They've kept it alive while Max was off doing Soulfly and the CC. I'd love to see a reunion as much as anyone, but I could see why Paulo is anti it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Max lost his mojo a long time ago. His Soulfly stuff looks ok at times, but for the most part is crap and would be looked over for the most part if his name wasnt so respected.
    Hes had a go at Paulo a few times over the years, its always the same old 'the only reason hes there is because me and Iggor thought his bass was cool,' .. 'It wasnt even his bass, it was his Dads,' and the gem that appeared above 'He couldnt even play,'

In response to 'they should change their name,' ...why? After Max's departure, the remaining members worked mercilessly for years to regain the recognition they deserve. Theyre finally starting to receive it after pretty much nonstop touring and the release of A-lex and Dante.

I saw them live in the Academy recently, and Soulfly soon after. I can tell you hands down Sepultura fúcking delivered.. Max's Soulfly.. didnt.
    Sep's drummer Jean, is immense. Andreas and Paulo were flawless as they always have been and Derrick is just massive, physically and vocally.

More power to them, fúck Max and all his squealy super fast nu-metal bollocks.

Paulo may well be stopping the re-union, but as the last remaining original member, thats his perogative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Wow, that is a poll that everyone wants to be a part of!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Max lost his mojo a long time ago. His Soulfly stuff looks ok at times, but for the most part is crap and would be looked over for the most part if his name wasnt so respected.
    Hes had a go at Paulo a few times over the years, its always the same old 'the only reason hes there is because me and Iggor thought his bass was cool,' .. 'It wasnt even his bass, it was his Dads,' and the gem that appeared above 'He couldnt even play'

heh that reeks of 'wouldn't even be into rock music if it weren't in the family' which... tbh is a valid argument just max should be past that. dude looks like a wee fat ageing crustie hobo these days, didn't just blow out his voice his physique n possibly mind followed suit his n juvenile tiffs are what's really preventing a reunion that will never happen. he talks it up just to shoot it down so all i ever hear is announcements of there not being a hope. but it is a pity cos he's only really suited to the old sep stuff before that first taster of his modus adolesci that was Roots n beyond.. but it would destabilize 'Sepultura' n they'd disband altogether within a year. but then it'd never happen anyway, not out of personal choice anyhow just for the media storm that would ensue. 'what the people wanted' hmm.. i guess a short sharp shock of a reunion is still somehow viable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,652 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Holy. Fúck.

That was sweet, new album, new tour, fúck Max. Legends :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Gintonious I've edited your post to link directly to the YouTube video, hope you don't mind. That's a fairly damning putdown by the band. Fair play to them really.

• Advertisement

Malice_ wrote: »
    Gintonious I've edited your post to link directly to the YouTube video, hope you don't mind. That's a fairly damning putdown by the band. Fair play to them really.

Not a prob.

Andreas is a far superior musician than either Cavalera, Soulfly is the same thing over and over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

Gintonious wrote: »
    Not a prob.

Andreas is a far superior musician than either Cavalera, Soulfly is the same thing over and over.

IMO, Max leaving Sepultura proved that the band was bigger than him, that they were capable of surviving, and even thriving without him, and i suspect his ego is bruised as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭HMD

With regard to the poll, i do think Paulo(along with the rest of the current line up) is preventing Max rerorming the original line up but the day Max left the band he gave up any right to try and reform a 'classic' line up while there is still a Sepultura going. The other members of the current lineup deserve the name as they're the ones working their arses of to keep it going.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

HMD wrote: »
    The other members of the current lineup deserve the name as they're the ones working their arses of to keep it going.

True enough, and Sepultura have been without Max for 14 years now so they've certainly given it the best opportunity

Sepultura with Max probably ended a few months before that faithful night in December 96 - Monsters of Rock 96

Max is the one going on about it more than anyone, I saw Sepultura in the summer and I honestly dont want them to change, and it also seems that Andreas is "preventing" this more than anyone, he seemed pretty heated in that vid.

14 years of a fella who looks like a hobo speaking ill of you is bound to get annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Andreas' tone puts that one to rest; he's sick to death of the media provocation lies etc. you'd have to consider its these interviewers posing the question and bringing it up in the first place Max is probs aware his 'Soulfly' vehicle of the past 15yr is somewhat daft and likely misses his old group, hence the bitterness. whereas they still have that much n are a solid working unit. so maybe thats why he gets drawn in, besides most people get flys in their soup as opposed to their soul

Advertisement