If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amplifier Advice

Options
  • 09-12-2010 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi all,
    I am currently in the market for a new amp (upgrading from a 340a) and have seen the Yamaha as500 getting some rave reviews. I was wondering what was your opinion on this (most listening is in a small room at low volumes) in partnership with bx2 speakers. I was also wondering if a nice Boardie discount was in order! I like my sound to be as neutral as possible and think the 340 is a slight bit bass heavy.
    Regards,
    Willie.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Willie1972 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I am currently in the market for a new amp (upgrading from a 340a) and have seen the Yamaha as500 getting some rave reviews. I was wondering what was your opinion on this (most listening is in a small room at low volumes) in partnership with bx2 speakers. I was also wondering if a nice Boardie discount was in order! I like my sound to be as neutral as possible and think the 340 is a slight bit bass heavy.
    Regards,
    Willie.

Willie,

many thanks for the post & apologies for the delay getting back to you.

I have the AS500 incoming within the next day or two - I cannot go any lower than £296.95 on it but I'll do 1/2 price delivery for you??

I have one AS700 ex-demo (unused!) that I would clear at just £349.95 if you really wanted a Boardie deal?

On the BX2/Yamaha AS combo - yep it will work well but I think that the amp is completely capable of driving far better speakers again - if it was me I would probably hassle Santa for a slightly bigger pressie and go for the RX1's with either the AS500/AS700 - with the demo AS700 I can do a pair of RX1's at £699.95 (reduced from about £950) or with the AS500 I can do the pair at £569.95.

Thanks again for the post & keep me posted if I can assist in any way,

ATB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Willie1972

John,
    Thanks for that. Is there any chance of getting a deal on the as500 with a wireless ipod dock (the Roth seems to be reduced on your website)? An ipod dock that would display the menu on the tv would do also. I have just purchased the BX2's so for the sake of peace (and the recession!!) I better not upgrade them.
    Regards and thanks,
    Willie.

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Willie1972 wrote: »
    John,
    Thanks for that. Is there any chance of getting a deal on the as500 with a wireless ipod dock (the Roth seems to be reduced on your website)? An ipod dock that would display the menu on the tv would do also. I have just purchased the BX2's so for the sake of peace (and the recession!!) I better not upgrade them.
    Regards and thanks,
    Willie.

Willie,

Jeez you are a hard man- if it was me I would go for the QED Uplay ( when I say if it was me - I mean I have already got one :D and I love it - the sound quality is really amazing and the convenience of the Bluetooth - meaning that you can keep your ipod/iphone in your paw is great (make sure of course that your ipod/phone has Bluetooth!)

http://www.whathifi.com/Review/QED-U-Play-Bluetooth-receiver/

I can do the AS500 with the Uplay at £348.95..

Keep me posted,

atvb,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.