Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential broadband speeds query

Options
  • 09-12-2010 11:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭

hi lads, i was wondering if someone could shed some light on this for me. i'm currently on eircom home broadband, 1 meg, because we're at the end of the exchange we're on. now the other day a vodafone rep was calling door to door and claimed that the house next to us has two and a half meg and we should be able to get more, but upon calling eircom support we're told 1 meg is the max we can get.

so my question is this: is it possible for someone in customer support to actually know our maximum possible speed, or are they just working off a colour system (one of them mentioned we were "coming up as amber")? surely only a line test could determine our maximum potential speed?

thanks,

adam

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Adam wrote: »
    hi lads, i was wondering if someone could shed some light on this for me. i'm currently on eircom home broadband, 1 meg, because we're at the end of the exchange we're on. now the other day a vodafone rep was calling door to door and claimed that the house next to us has two and a half meg and we should be able to get more, but upon calling eircom support we're told 1 meg is the max we can get.

so my question is this: is it possible for someone in customer support to actually know our maximum possible speed, or are they just working off a colour system (one of them mentioned we were "coming up as amber")? surely only a line test could determine our maximum potential speed?

thanks,

adam

Hi adam,

Thanks for taking the time to contact the eircom on Boards Forum.

From what you say, you are in an extended reach (or amber region) and your geographical location from the eircom exchange has determined your
    broadband connection and attainable speeds.

In most cases, any one in a similar amber region will only be able to avail of 1MB across the adsl network.

Technical Support will be able to look at your sync and the attainable rates on your line. They will have access to sync check tools and history of your connections on the authentication servers.

It is possible at times to tweak your broadband speed if you're in an extended reach area. This depends on whether you are in an EXT Reach 1 area, or extended reach 6 area. The latter being furthest from the exchange (generally over 3.5KM).
    If you want to Private Message your phone number, I can take a look at this.

Also, please take a look at the following URL, which may help or improve your modem connection :
    http://bit.ly/aPwvTT - Broadband Checklist

If you need to call Broadband Technical Support direct : 1890 260260 (low call) and they will be able to advise you further.

Let me know if this helps.

All the best
    Ant

Advertisement