Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stinky dog breath!

• 09-12-2010 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Our 3 year old pug has developed the worst breath ever :(

When we took him to the vet last month she told us it was because he had tartar on this front teeth. She recommended feeding him dried food (which we do) and giving him things to chew (which we do). She said we could get his teeth scaled if we wanted but she wouldn't really recommend it as he'd have to go under general anesthetic for it and his teeth aren't that bad.

When we give him things to chew he never uses his front teeth to chew as his front teeth are tiny. That's why his front teeth are so bad. I bought doggy toothpaste from him but I'm finding it impossible to put it on his teeth as he keeps struggling and it seems to distress him a lot.

Does anyone have any advice please ? I miss my pug kisses :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

I brush my GSD's teeth too. I have a small rubber thing that fits over one finger just to get him used to it.

This is the link to one - http://www.pet-bliss.com/acatalog/Single_Finger_Toothbrush.html I was able to buy this one at my local pet shop.

Took a while to stop him freaking out. I started with just letting him lick the toothpaste off my finger after we had the brushing session. Moved onto putting my finger in his mouth to just check his teeth, then to using the rubber thing and now he lets me use a toothbrush. Took a month or so though and really took my time with him so that he didn't get scared.

Dentastix help too with the breath IMO but I think nothing beats a good brushing. We also give him things to chew and dry dog food but his breath can be quite shocking!

Good luck OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

OP, I have cat with the same problem. I am going to get them descaled under anasthetic though as the vet said the plaque can eventually spread to their vital organs and be fatal. As my vet doesn't do this procedure herself, I will need to get it done in a surgery around Kildare/Dublin where they have better facilities/ equipement.

The toothbrush isn't that effective if it's tartar and should really only be used for keeping them clean after being descaled. I was also recommended this product but again only after the plaque has been removed.

http://www.plaqueoff.com/proden_plaqueoff_animal/proden_plaqueoff_animal.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

+1 to Lubie's comment. Forgot to mention that. My dogs don't have plaque and the vet said his teeth & gums are pretty healthy, unfortunately he chows down in the netherlands if you get my drift. :rolleyes: Awful smelling breath when he does this!

But if your vet has discussed descaling, maybe you should do this if it leads to further issues?

Hope the pug is ok! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 pugsnotdrugs

Thanks for the info :)

Didn't realise bad teeth could be so serious.:eek:

The vet didn't recommend descaling for him as his plaque is not that bad but she said that he would probably need it in a few years if it got worse. I'll ask her about it again when we bring our other dog in for her shots before christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

I had to get my dog's teeth cleaned under anesthetic :( She was fine though, so now I try to brush her teeth 2-3 times a week (should be more I know), and I switched her diet to include more nuts etc. and chew toys. I use a toothbrush (for dogs but almost same as human ones) and dog toothpaste (remember fluroide can be fatal in small enough doses no do not use human toothpaste).

Funny process to do but I think she enjoys it now - the main areas to get actually if your dog is quite unnerved by it is the outside or visible teeth (like when we smile) - a vet said this is the main area of plaque buildup, and the plaque build up on the inside teeth is to an extent kept clean by the dog's tongue action. So even if nothing else get the outside ones and you won't get much resistance. My dog still goes a bit mental when I try to clean the inner sides and particulrly the very back - you may need to firmly grasp your dog (but not hurt) with one hand inbetween the eyes and nose and brush with the other. It may look like they will bite (and while mine has not be careful as they appear to get that gagging feeling). I wear thick gloves for this as a lot of saliva etc. Once you have the whole thing down, should only take you 3-4 minutes each time! The brush I use has a larger and smaller head, use the smaller obviously for the back teeth etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

I'm lucky I know, that none of mine have any plaque or tartar on their teeth as I can't imagine trying to brush them, none of them are keen on letting me check their teeth even, although I do insist on it fairly regularly.

What time of food are you feeding? I ask, as if mine have any food that is beef based they STINK! this seems to be the case for all 4 of them. When they have chicken based food their breath is fine :)

Advertisement