Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

At What Point is it Acceptable to Switch Allegiance?

• 09-12-2010 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭

This is partly inspired by the general "Ashley is ruining football" reaction to Hughton's sacking, and the hint that some supporters might just stop going to games. Also the Hicks-Gillette fiasco, the Man U bloodletting and (for Irish fans) the hint that Roman Abramovich was going to sue us as a bondholder in one of the banks.

It seems that certain clubs are run by absolute gangsters who willfully run them into the ground long-term, pursuing a sale in the short term. Or they do pretty heinous things that make it clear that the person collecting all the profits is a despicable human being.

So, when is it right to just stop going to games, or stop caring entirely? Or, to put it another way, is bitching about an owner while continuing to line his pockets just being a mug of the highest order? When do you think a football fan should just say "fupp it" and find another team?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

My loyalty is and always will be Newcastle United. That said, I will not give any money to Mike Ashley while he is in charge.

I couldn't imagine support anyone but Newcastle United.

IMO, it's never ok to switch teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

It's never acceptable to just find another team. By all means get disillusioned and stop supporting a side but there's nothing worse than a turncoat.

A fondness for a club in another league far removed from the current one may be acceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

geeky wrote: »
    This is partly inspired by the general "Ashley is ruining football" reaction to Hughton's sacking, and the hint that some supporters might just stop going to games. Also the Hicks-Gillette fiasco, the Man U bloodletting and (for Irish fans) the hint that Roman Abramovich was going to sue us as a bondholder in one of the banks.

It seems that certain clubs are run by absolute gangsters who willfully run them into the ground long-term, pursuing a sale in the short term. Or they do pretty heinous things that make it clear that the person collecting all the profits is a despicable human being.

So, when is it right to just stop going to games, or stop caring entirely? Or, to put it another way, is bitching about an owner while continuing to line his pockets just being a mug of the highest order? When do you think a football fan should just say "fupp it" and find another team?

Never.

But there is a point where you refuse to support an owner and let your wallet do the talking alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

When do you think a football fan should just say "fupp it" and find another team?

If for some reason I felt I couldn't/wouldn't support Chelsea anymore there's no way I'd just pick some other team. I'd just be neutral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

You never do in my view there was times during hicks and gilettes time at anfield when days were extremly dark and depressing and knowing your team are the laughing stock of world football but like the song you walk on through the storm and now all seems well new owners who seem good and have a proven track record. Your football club is like your family you can never turn you back on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

You can do whatever you want ... its down to the person. I myself would never do it but who am I or anyone else to tell others?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

What?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

If Spurs move to Wembley I know that a lot of fans will stop/decrease their support for the club. I can't imagine ever supporting another team, bar maybe a FC United of Manchester-type start-up club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I could never support someone else, but i do follow teams in different countries to England.

I wasn't born a Liverpool fan, but it was drilled into me at a young age, somehow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Switch? I wouldn't say never, as I'm fine with the Wimbeldon, FC United and the similar Liverpool movement. But to actually switch towards another team, like Newcastle to Spurs, is never acceptable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I suppose it depends how attached you were to your "original" club and the reasons for choosing it in the first place. If in time, those reasons become less relevant, there is no reason to not change allegiances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

Owners, players and managers come and go.

Its nice if you like them but at the end of the day its the team and its relationship with its supporters that's most important.

I'm not too mad about Abramovich , not too mad about John Terry (as a person) but that wont stop me supporting Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,447 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I'd say National School

You can change teams until you leave National School, but after that it's a no no.

I find it hilarious to see all those Newton Heath colours at United game.

If you have a beef with the owners just don't go and hand them your hard earned cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I think the club you support is all down to what happens in your childhood, if you've brothers/father/uncle are pushing ya to support a team that they support.

Growing up my father supported West Ham, hence why I follow Chelsea, as he said he hated them so I wanted to annoy him and just stuck with them.:D

Couldnt support anyone other then Chelsea, might like anotehr team but couldnt support them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

When you are dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭smog

That_Guy wrote: »
    My loyalty is and always will be Newcastle United. That said, I will not give any money to Mike Ashley while he is in charge.

I couldn't imagine support anyone but Newcastle United.

IMO, it's never ok to switch teams.

Also a Newcastle fan, and while i have constantly had the piss ripped out of me for a decision made 30 years ago, its never ok to "change" club.

By all means you dont have to travel to the games, you dont have to buy the merchandise, you dont even have to announce to people who you support, but no swapsies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

If you consider changing clubs you were never a fan in the first place.

People change political alleigances as they mature, musical tastes change; etc etc. What is it then that makes following a football club a curse for life ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

This is partly inspired by the general "Ashley is ruining football" reaction to Hughton's sacking, and the hint that some supporters might just stop going to games.
    That's just a boycott, and the only way to get the attention of eejits like Ashley.

As for changing from spots to stripes, no true fan knows why this simply isn't possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭VW 1

As a fan of United from an early age, first jersey bought when I was 3 or 4, and my dad being a mad United fan I couldnt imagine supporting anybody else and definitely dont think it is acceptable to switch teams even if becoming disillusioned with the team.

Having said that I do have a major soft spot for Spurs, I think its mostly because of the type of exciting football they play plus my manlove for Modric and Lennon..
    I find it hilarious to see all those Newton Heath colours at United game.

If you have a beef with the owners just don't go and hand them your hard earned cash.

Couldnt agree more with this statement, out in town last night and having a bit of banter with a couple of lads in Mc Donalds and one of them was wearing a green and gold scarf...I just gave him abuse for wearing a Norwich scarf when he said he was a United fan! Took it all in good spirit in fairness to him..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

greendom wrote: »
    People change political alleigances as they mature, musical tastes change; etc etc. What is it then that makes following a football club a curse for life ?
    Just like you don't get to choose your family.

And it's not much a success thing either...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZnYloe5rhw

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

When you move. Apart from Juventus and Go Ahead Eagles, I've only ever supported teams for geographical reasons, i.e. them being my local team.

Granted, most people will laugh at the idea of someone 'supporting' more than one team, but **** that, who cares.

Also, when your team goes bust (e.g. Kilkenny City) then it's "OK" to start supporting your next closest side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Also, when your team goes bust (e.g. Kilkenny City) then it's "OK" to start supporting your next closest side.

Ohhh controversial on supporting the next closest side. Being an Athlone Town man if we go wallop (came close 2 seasons ago and I dare say will come close again) I would never even dream of considering Longford as an option.

In case of such an emergency, Finn Harps would be my choice. Granted I'd get to funk all home games!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I'd agree with the above about moving. I lived in Drogheda for 5 years so went to and supported them. When I moved to bray, I went to and supported them. So although i was Not hard core support, the most important kind of support- financial

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'd agree with the above about moving. I lived in Drogheda for 5 years so went to and supported them. When I moved to bray, I went to and supported them. So although i was Not hard core support, the most important kind of support- financial

Exactly, you're actually there in the stands for Bray which I'm sure means more to them that someone watching Panathinaikos on TV for 50 years would to that club.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Been a Rangers supporter for over 50 years could never dream of supporting any other team no matter what circumstances.
    Once a Bear always a Bear :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I actually support two local clubs from different countries but only because of weird circumstances (moving here as a young lad). Without those specific circumstances, I'd definitely be a one-club person.

I can understand why people would boycott their club in certain circumstances but to actually switch to another club...no way.

If United or Rovers disappeared, I don't think I could switch to another club - especially never in the same league - even though I'd definitely still want to attend live games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

I could never support someone else, but i do follow teams in different countries to England.

I wasn't born a Liverpool fan, but it was drilled into me at a young age, somehow.

Sorry to hear that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

VW 1 wrote: »
    As a fan of United from an early age, first jersey bought when I was 3 or 4, and my dad being a mad United fan I couldnt imagine supporting anybody else and definitely dont think it is acceptable to switch teams even if becoming disillusioned with the team.

Having said that I do have a major soft spot for Spurs, I think its mostly because of the type of exciting football they play plus my manlove for Modric and Lennon..

Couldnt agree more with this statement, out in town last night and having a bit of banter with a couple of lads in Mc Donalds and one of them was wearing a green and gold scarf...I just gave him abuse for wearing a Norwich scarf when he said he was a United fan! Took it all in good spirit in fairness to him..

That's disgusting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Never. Ever. Ever.

You support your Club, and no man, be they player, manager or owner is bigger than the club. They all come and go, the fans will always be there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I think it's important to understand that, say, for Newcastle United supporters, the Ashley regime will probably be a small part of the club's history and your allegiance to the club is for life, and possibly your kid's lives too.

I do have a soft spot for FC United - based largely on the fact that they are United supporters and the club run on what seems to be a Shamrock Rovers-type model) and I can readily understand how a club like United has just become so global and massive (and omnipresent on the field) that it just didn't seem to be theirs anymore. It's certainly not even the United I grew up with.

I still couldn't agree with them just not wanting to be United supporters though. It's not something you can easily shake off.

I'll always love United but the smaller club model is much more like a family: welcoming and supporter-centric.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think most people have supported the clubs they follow since childhood so there is a long attachment there and thus switching allegiance would be turning your back on a lot of fond memories and experiences. No point really.

I don't think Gerard Houllier favours switching allegiances either. :pac:

I suppose when it comes down to it, its all about what you switch to.

There is no justification ever, under any circumstances, to jump to a rival. Celtic to Rangers (i'm looking at you Sean Connerry) or Rovers to Bohs is out, full stop.

I also would be exceptionally suspictios of anyone who switched sides to another within that country. Like all those Blackburn and Leeds fans of the 90's who now appear to be Chelsea and Aresenal fans. But to a large extent, they aren't hardcore.

But if you are a Dub and fall out of love with whatever English monolith is de rigour of the day, its perfectly acceptible to follow Rovers or Pats and still keep an eye on the overseas side or be a less active fan.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Say a rich owner, like a Middle Eastern oil tycoon invests heavily in a new club, then it'd be OK I think.

joking of course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

I'd never switch. I just couldn't. I'd give up watching football altogether rather than switch.
    I've been a Man Utd supporter 25 years, it's in my blood nearly at this stage!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

follow the title not the team
    its a win win win thing ,
    always successful
    and
    never disappointed :D:cool::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

The only time I really switched alleigence was when I was 10 years old and changed from Chelsea to Liverpool after one season in the late 80's.

Not sure if this one counts, but being from SW london originally used to go to Plough Lane as a kid to see Wimbledon, and always had a bit of a soft spot for them. When they moved to MK that support stopped imediatly and have since follwed the progress of AFC Wimbledon as well as supporting Liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

It's NEVER acceptable. I know a fella who used to support Norwich (he was born there) and switched over to become a Blackburn fan and now he wears a Man Utd shirt. He was over in Moscow for the final againest Chelsea so he claims he is a proper supporter now.:pac: I expect him to turn up at training in a Man City shirt in a few years time.
    Tbh no club needs fans like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

RasTa wrote: »
    When you are dead.

no way, still not acceptable :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I have, a few times, been really, really, really close to stopping supporting Milan because of the clown that owns them but I just can't do it. My favourite players were all Milan players, My favourite games were all Milan games, too many fond memories.

However, I have always had a soft spot for Swansea City, so if I was to "stop supporting" Milan, I might have more interest in Swansea and go to a few more games or something. It's not likely though.

Will always support Athlone too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

There is no justification ever, under any circumstances, to jump to a rival. Celtic to Rangers (i'm looking at you Sean Connerry) or Rovers to Bohs is out, full stop.

Connery never really switched allegiances, simply followed his investment.

This fella on the other hand. ;)
    http://www.glesga.ukpals.com/rangers/rangersphotos3.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

I think it's acceptable for anybody without a geographical connection to switch allegiance to whoever they like.

doncarlos wrote: »
    I think it's acceptable for anybody without a geographical connection to switch allegiance to whoever they like.

So almost everyone who supports an English club but resides in Ireland ?

Seaneh wrote: »
    However, I have always had a soft spot for Swansea City,

I thought that was just a Lee Trundle thing?

Eirebear wrote: »
    Connery never really switched allegiances, simply followed his investment.

This fella on the other hand. ;)
    http://www.glesga.ukpals.com/rangers/rangersphotos3.htm

So we got Rod and you got Sean in the switcheroo. Seems about fair!! :D

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    I thought that was just a Lee Trundle thing?

Haha, nah man, t'was from well before LT10.

I used to watch for their results from back when John Hollis was manager and then when Kevin Nugent was playing for them, and then Martinez...
    Not exactly a life long fan but always kept an eye out for them :)

Seaneh wrote: »
    Haha, nah man, t'was from well before LT10.

I used to watch for their results from back when John Hollis was manager and then when Kevin Nugent was playing for them, and then Martinez...
    Not exactly a life long fan but always kept an eye out for them :)

Kevin Nugent, a good Willow Park man :)
    Its a wonder Gerry McH doesn't send a few books of lotto/raffle tickets over to him :D

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Kevin Nugent, a good Willow Park man :)
    Its a wonder Gerry McH doesn't send a few books of lotto/raffle tickets over to him :D

Not one other person on this board has a clue what that was about, but I laughed out loud.

Good man Ash.

I have a friend who supported Villa until he was mid teens.

Now a loyal man utd fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

I stopped supporting Chelsea at the start of this season. Admittedly, I was a glory-hunter and didnt even watch football until the season after they did the double.
    Iv started going to Sporting Fingal matches this season and had way more fun than I ever did sitting at home watching Chelsea on the box.

Seriously, there isnt even a hint of a dig at barstoolers etc in this post, dont say there is :)

I felt no shame in 'switching' from Chelsea to Sporting Fingal. It feels better being able to travel to the games and make my voice heard in the stand as opposed to shouting at the tv.

• Advertisement
Advertisement