Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

At What Point is it Acceptable to Switch Allegiance?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

CiaranC wrote: »
    This is hilarious. Narrow view my hole, LOI fans are the same as normal football fans all over the world. Its the barstooler gob****es who are abnormal, not us. LOI fans view of football is not "narrow", its shared by ALL real football fans all over the world.
    When I followed the League of Ireland I lived in Dublin for the most part. I supported Finn Harps for most of it but I supported Dundalk for a while too when Hilary Carlyle who was a very close friend of my fathers played for them. I went to at least 20 league games each year for about 15 years. I never felt any obligation to support a Dublin club even though I was born and lived there for most of my life.
    Back on topic, its perfectly allowable for any barstooler to change who he supports at any time. If selection of "his" team is completely arbitrarily made and not tied to any of the factors which normal fans use to pick a team, then what difference does it make if he changes it year on year?
    Its perfectly allowable for anybody to change the club they support whether they travel and support the team or look on from afar and no matter what country or league they play in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

DazMarz wrote: »
    I came very, very close last season (over an incident that happened at Stamford Bridge involving myself and a friend of mine)
    Which was?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Which was?

Why should he divulge what happened if it's none of our business?

mars bar wrote: »
    Why should he divulge what happened if it's none of our business?
    Then why would he post about it on a ****ing public message board?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

This is hilarious. Narrow view my hole, LOI fans are the same as normal football fans all over the world. Its the barstooler gob****es who are abnormal, not us. LOI fans view of football is not "narrow", its shared by ALL real football fans all over the world.

Yeah, no narrow view at all:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69415096&postcount=94

Any chance of the mods classing this 'barstooler' jibe, which seems to be infecting and plaguing a lot of threads of late, on a par with the 'Manure', 'Liverpoo' type of pettiness that the charter doesn't allow? It really drags the forum down having to see this playground insult thrown about in my view.

Any chance of the mods classing this 'barstooler' jibe, which seems to be infecting and plaguing a lot of threads of late, on a par with the 'Manure', 'Liverpoo' type of pettiness that the charter doesn't allow? It really drags the forum down having to see this playground insult thrown about in my view.
    Are you seriously saying that the use of the word 'barstooler' gets to you? Come on man I thought you were made of sterner stuff than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Then why would he post about it on a ****ing public message board?

Well to give us a little understanding of why he came close to dropping his allegiance. He doesn't have to give us his life story. I don't expect him to and your post seems nosey and rude.

Mussolini has little in common with the type of people I would class as football fans. He'd probably agree himself and is not too bothered about the whole thing.

And lol at you wanting the charter changed to stop people calling you a barstooler. Does it hurt your feelings? Does it make it too hard to play pretend?

eagle eye wrote: »
    Are you seriously saying that the use of the word 'barstooler' gets to you? Come on man I thought you were made of sterner stuff than that.

It gets to me when I see it being banded about ad nauseum. It's no better than the Manure, Liverpoo stuff as far as I am concerned and I don't know why this childishness is tolerated.
    CiaranC wrote:
    And lol at you wanting the charter changed to stop people calling you a barstooler. Does it hurt your feelings? Does it make it too hard to play pretend?

Hey if this is the height of wit for the tens and tens of people that attend LOI games good luck to you, but this is an open board and some of us can do without it.

It gets to me when I see it being banded about ad nauseum. It's no better than the Manure, Liverpoo stuff as far as I am concerned and I don't know why this childishness is tolerated.
    Its nothing like those names you mention. Its a description of a character who shouts while watching football games in the pub. Its kinda funny and its harmless imo.

• Advertisement

Hey if this is the height of wit for the tens and tens of people that attend LOI games good luck to you, but this is an open board and some of us can do without it.
    Classy, having a go at actual football fans now.

Look, if you dont want to hear peoples opinions on the nature of football support, then dont come into threads about the nature of football support, like say, this one. The rest of us are not going to just pretend you are the same as normal football fans just because it upsets you.

There are superthreads and "vs." threads and TV programme threads and weekend EPL threads and Match threads where you can post away with the rest of the Walter Mittys.

Look, if you dont want to hear peoples opinions on the nature of football support, then dont come into threads about the nature of football support, like say, this one. The rest of us are not going to just pretend you are the same as normal football fans just because it upsets you.

There are superthreads and "vs." threads and TV programme threads and weekend EPL threads and Match threads where you can post away with the rest of the Walter Mittys.

It is genuinely lamentable to see fellow fans of this great sport who have such an inferiority complex that they feel compelled to overcompensate by inventing this ideal of the 'actual football fan'. As if such a thing existed or could ever be objectively identified.

I do want to hear people's opinions on football support, hence why I would regard this as an open football thread, for all of us, yet unfortunately some have come in here spouting the anti-EPL mantra in an effort to get a rise out of people and turn it into a pissing contest, as has happened in a good few threads lately. I do indeed find that irritating and make no apologies for saying so as I think it's time this kind of stuff was acknowledged. It fosters a negative atmosphere about the place in my opinion. I will leave it at that.

Hang on a minute. Who are you to suggest that he is not a normal football fan. What is the description of a normal football fan.

Gtfo with your snobbery. I followed the LOI for years, I don't do it anymore. Are you trying to categorise me as not being a football fan now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

THIS IS SO FUUUUCKING ANNOYING NEARLY EVERY FUUUCKING THREAD GETS RUINED WITH ****

I'm a season ticket holder and Old Trafford, I went to most Bohs home games that I could,I play Pro Evo, I bought match when i was 12, My toilet roll has the river plate crest on it, my ex bird looks like Pele

[ofigjnlhjgfxlibjgclkjgckjgh';sfjkglk'sfgksrlkhjdrlkgjsltyghjsrl;gjdtrlhjdgr[lhjrshljsljfh

and dont judge me cas i sit on a barstool sometimes with my mates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Trilla wrote: »
    THIS IS SO FUUUUCKING ANNOYING NEARLY EVERY FUUUCKING THREAD GETS RUINED WITH ****

I'm a season ticket holder and Old Trafford, I went to most Bohs home games that I could,I play Pro Evo, I bought match when i was 12, My toilet roll has the river plate crest on it, my ex bird looks like Pele

[ofigjnlhjgfxlibjgclkjgckjgh';sfjkglk'sfgksrlkhjdrlkgjsltyghjsrl;gjdtrlhjdgr[lhjrshljsljfh

and dont judge me cas i sit on a barstool sometimes with my mates

That sounds fcukin' deadly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,397 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

This thread was always doomed. Some good discussions at the start before it was ruined by fellow LOI fans who think they are better because they support our national league.

You aren't better so please stop putting down fans of foreign clubs. I'd love if all Irish football fans were fans of the Irish game but it was never like that in my lifetime and it will never be. Get over it. I don't have a problem with the term barstooler but don't use it on the internet ffs.

@ Baz, my mate has a toaster that toasts the HSV logo and letters into toast :D. It's sad that he bought something so silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

THIS IS SO FUUUUCKING ANNOYING NEARLY EVERY FUUUCKING THREAD GETS RUINED WITH ****[/QUOTE]

+1. Its ridiculous how many times it happens

Trilla wrote: »
    my ex bird looks like Pele

Emmm......

It is genuinely lamentable to see fellow fans
    LOL
    an inferiority complex
    I think youll find I have a superiority complex actually chief. This is mostly on account of being superior.
    they feel compelled to overcompensate by inventing this ideal of the 'actual football fan'. As if such a thing existed or could ever be objectively identified.
    I hear this ****e spouted on here all the time and its utter, utter bollox. There is not some wide array of different types of football fan. Of course the football fan exists. Hes the guy standing beside you week in, week out at the matches of your team. There he is - right there look! You can reach out and touch him! Tens of millions of people attend football matches practically every single week or other week of their lives. Are you suggesting that these people are figments of their own imaginations or something?

Luton are playing on a screen near to me here, there seem to be a few hundred lads standing behind the goal. Do these guys not actually exist? If somebody tells them that actual football fans dont actually exist, will they disappear in a puff of Kantian logic?

Look, If I watch pictures of stadiums full of people and players running about a pitch on a screen, it no more makes me a football fan than watching Coronation Street makes me a brassy northern English strumpet working behind the bar in the Rovers Return. If I went about saying it did, they'd lock me up, cos I would clearly be off my bleedin head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I think youll find I have a superiority complex actually chief. This is mostly on account of being superior.

LOL

What pathetic sh!te.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

The only time you should switch support is when you are very young. About 8 or so.

I remember following Man. United at a young age, had jerseys and all. But for some reason I felt somewhat 'forced' to follow them by my brother.

My real support was for Arsenal, and started supporting them. I still do, and always will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

LOL

I hear this ****e spouted on here all the time and its utter, utter bollox. There is not some wide array of different types of football fan. Of course the football fan exists. Hes the guy standing beside you week in, week out at the matches of your team. There he is - right there look! You can reach out and touch him! Tens of millions of people attend football matches practically every single week or other week of their lives. Are you suggesting that these people are figments of their own imaginations or something?

Luton are playing on a screen near to me here, there seem to be a few hundred lads standing behind the goal. Do these guys not actually exist? If somebody tells them that actual football fans dont actually exist, will they disappear in a puff of Kantian logic?

Look, If I watch pictures of stadiums full of people and players running about a pitch on a screen, it no more makes me a football fan than watching Coronation Street makes me a brassy northern English strumpet working behind the bar in the Rovers Return. If I went about saying it did, they'd lock me up, cos I would clearly be off my bleedin head.

As a fan of both the National League (somewhat lapsed as a result of the bandwagoners who jumped into the Shelbourne FC camp around 2003, and the mess Ollie Byrne (R.I.P) made of the club), and the EPL, I can say, hand on heart, that the "anti-barstooler" brigade are no better then the football fan who chooses to what his team on TV, crappy Asian internet streams, or listens to it on local radio. Fans who attend games are not in any way superior. There can be a multitude of reasons for fans not attending games, ranging from busy personal lives, to impecunicity.

Claiming that the football fan who supports their team through Sky Sports is inferior is laughable in the extreme. You parallel with watching Coronation Street is cringeworthy in the extreme. In fact it has crossed the line into stupidity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

It's from 'The LOI fan handbook - how to be a football fan'. It's all in there.

Rule number 1 - always carry yourself with an undeserved sense of self-importance.

Rule number 2 - look down your nose at those who don't share your narrow view of the sport.

Rule number 3 - rage against the 'barstoolers'.

Rule number 4 - derail debates whenever possible (using the above).

Rule number 5 - bitch and moan about why no one likes your league (ignoring the above)

I was thinking of getting one for a LOI supporter I know. He does none of the above and just has a philosophy of live and let live, each to their own etc. so I figure he must be doing it all wrong.

Actually it's not anything to do with LOI. He more or less said he;as not a fan himself(the etymology of fan is fanatic) and that football is just a sport. Not something you'd hear from most people in here - EPL or LOI.

You only appear to have two modes: patrolling threads for instances of LOI snobbery or far worse, dropping into our threads on red letter days for our league to offer thoroughly unwanted patronising pep-talks for the progress of our league.

Both are puke-worthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Christ i'm actually sick of this LOI vs barstoolers ****e:mad:. I hate that there are some LOI supporters on here who drag every thread into this debate and then there is the other side who decide to paint every LOI supprter with the same brush and then denigrate the league and all its supporters.

Anyway back on topic. I supported Man Utd up until the age of around 15 but lost interest in them. I never attended a match in those years (although funnily enough i visited old trafford while visiting relatives in england earlier this year). I started supporting Cork City at 16 and just enjoyed it more than when i supported Man U.

It was great to be able to go to matches and i feel more passionate about City then i ever did for Utd. I don't consider the change of allegiance a bad thing in my case anyway. It made more sense really as the club was my local side made up mainly of players from Cork so there was a strong sense of pride and attachment which i did'nt get with Utd.

I'll probably be moving to the UK in the next year but City will remain my club forever though i wont be above going to see a local side over and lending them some support.

I think swithing allegiance between clubs in different leagues and countries is more aceptable than switching between clubs within a league or even worse between rivals.

Het-Field wrote: »
    As a fan of both the National League (somewhat lapsed as a result of the bandwagoners who jumped into the Shelbourne FC camp around 2003, and the mess Ollie Byrne (R.I.P) made of the club), and the EPL, I can say, hand on heart, that the "anti-barstooler" brigade are no better then the football fan who chooses to what his team on TV, crappy Asian internet streams, or listens to it on local radio. Fans who attend games are not in any way superior. There can be a multitude of reasons for fans not attending games, ranging from busy personal lives, to impecunicity.

Claiming that the football fan who supports their team through Sky Sports is inferior is laughable in the extreme. You parallel with watching Coronation Street is cringeworthy in the extreme. In fact it has crossed the line into stupidity.

Just out of curiousty, why do you always refer to the LOI as the National League?

As a fan of both the National League
    You are not a fan of the national league, you used to go to some Shelbourne matches. Do you think we cant read your previous posts? Nobody is buying that you are suddenly a LOI fan because its convenient to your argument.

And the Boards.ie EPL experience is curiously similar to Coronation Street. It appears on our screens a couple of times on weeknight evenings on TV3 and ITV with a super duper extended episode on Sundays, features plucky northerners who dont like those arrogant Londoners and spawns endless gossip threads about whats gonna happen next and the stars latest hair-do's on here.

• Advertisement

Just out of curiousty, why do you always refer to the LOI as the National League?

Habit of a lifetime. When I began supporting the Shels it was the "Bord Gais National League", before it became the "FAI Harp Lager National League". It was what I grew up with, and I wont be changing !

Christ i'm actually sick of this LOI vs barstoolers ****e:mad:. I hate that there are some LOI supporters on here who drag every thread into this debate
    It was all going well until Mr Nice Guy took out his "LOI handbook". Maybe he should put it away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,833 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

make the big switch to Bord Gais.

ara I don't care if thats been said already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Mate of mine switched sides from Villa to Man U in '99, when they won the treble (right year?). He was 22 at the time.

We have never taken what he says about football seriously since then.

You are not a fan of the national league, you used to go to some Shelbourne matches. Do you think we cant read your previous posts? Nobody is buying that you are suddenly a LOI fan because its convenient to your argument.

And the Boards.ie EPL experience is curiously similar to Coronation Street. It appears on our screens a couple of times on weeknight evenings on TV3 and ITV with a super duper extended episode on Sundays, features plucky northerners who dont like those arrogant Londoners and spawns endless gossip threads about whats gonna happen next and the stars latest hair-do's on here.

I would point out that between 1994-2003 I was an almost ever present at Tolka Park. I didnt go much between 2004-2007 before I returned. I sporadically attend, but that is because I am busy and Friday night is not the most convenient night.

Not really similar. But it would appear that way to you because you're an idiot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Christ i'm actually sick of this LOI vs barstoolers ****e:mad:.

Part of the problem is when self-appointed guardians roll in to rebuke what they perceive as LOI snobbery. A discussion about loyalty to a club and how important football is to people is a topic that anybody here can discuss.

Somebody took the hump about being being called somebody that's not a fan. I would assume that somebody who says "it;'s only a sport" wouldn't be too pushed about being labelled thus.

As regards barstooler: it's a joke term that no worse than some of the inter-club baiting that goes on between fans of all leagues. It;s not something that anybody who is genuinely comfortable with who and how they support football should be touchy about.

I sporadically attend.
    Course you do Walter. I assume you dont pay in then?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68230475&postcount=3

stovelid wrote: »
    Part of the problem is when self-appointed guardians roll in to rebuke what they perceive as LOI snobbery. A discussion about loyalty to a club and how important football is to people is a topic that anybody here can discuss.

Somebody took the hump about being being called somebody that's not a fan. I would assume that somebody who says "it;'s only a sport" wouldn't be too pushed about being labelled thus.

As regards barstooler: it's a joke term that no worse than some of the inter-club baiting that goes on between fans of all leagues. It;s not something that anybody who is genuinely comfortable with who and how they support football should be touchy about.

You'll see in my above post that i criticised both sides. I only see the barstooler term as a light hearted one, but obviously others don't. It's a shame to see so many good threads ruined by the resulting arguements.

Course you do Walter. I assume you dont pay in then?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68230475&postcount=3

. You have taken that post completely out of context. You know well that I was referring to Bohemians and the mess which they made themselves. You also know that the first line was a throw-away comment in the light of the thread, and what Bohemians had done.

In fact, seeing as we are covering old ground, I would like to thank you for conceeding my arguments about the Shelbourne model last August. Seeing as you never replied i assumed you returned to other boards where deluded individuals like youself choose to hang out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

markesmith wrote: »
    Mate of mine switched sides from Villa to Man U in '99, when they won the treble (right year?). He was 22 at the time.

And you never should. Football does'nt need people like that.

If you go and pay in to watch a game you are going there to be entertained and shout for the team you support.
    If you go and pay sky/setanta/espn for coverage of the Premier League then you are paying to be entertained and see your team play on tv.
    The definition of the word fan includes enthusiast. So a football enthusiast can watch football on tv or live. It doesn't matter they are still a fan.

Now a supporter is a different thing. A supporter is a member of a club who gives money and/or time to this club. They don't do it by paying to go and watch a game because thats an entertainment fee just like your tv license and any other money you pay for tv privileges. They do it by going out and promoting the club or doing something behind the scenes for the club. They do it by being involved in the day to day running of the club or by assisting the club in some financial way.

Anybody who thinks that going to watch a live game of football makes them more special than a person who sits at home or goes to the pub for a game is deluded. Fact is if you sit and watch the game on tv then you are one of the fans that are adding to the clubs financial income by doing just that. The more people that watch a game on tv the more likely another game with that club involved will be shown again and the more games that are shown the more tv revenue the club will receive. Same as going to a game and paying in. And nobody goes out to a game of football unless they enjoy it. Same as nobody goes to the pub to watch a game or sits at home and watches a game on tv unless they enjoy that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

DazMarz wrote: »
    I came very, very close last season (over an incident that happened at Stamford Bridge involving myself and a friend of mine) to ditching Chelsea totally.
    Which was?

Sorry, don't really want to state the exact nature of the incident as the case is still ongoing and so on...

But I will say this. It ruined a very close friend of mine's first ever trip to Stamford Bridge, humiliated us both, was a most intimidating experience and was incredibly heavy-handed and uncalled for.

As anyone who knows me personally will tell you, Chelsea F.C. means an awful lot to me. An awful lot. For me to have my faith in and love for the club shaken so much was a testament to how bad the incident was.

But, as much as the case is ongoing, I have put it in the past mostly, have been back at the Bridge numerous times since (and to a few away days) and I don't think my affinity for the blues has ever been stronger!!!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Sure I wouldn't know a single Chelsea or man city fan if they hadn't changed from other teams!

Nemanja91 wrote: »
    Sure I wouldn't know a single Chelsea or man city fan if they hadn't changed from other teams!
    91 suggest you were born in '91, I could be completely wrong about that but if its the case then you started supporting a team that was top of the Premier League when you were old enough to start following a team. So basically its the same thing as somebody who goes following Chelsea or Man City when they got big money. A fairweather fan if you will. Your loyalty will not be tested until United fall down the table as will happen at some stage during your lifetime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Will I was actually brought up supporting United, all me uncles except the Leeds fan made sure I supported United!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

eagle eye wrote: »
    91 suggest you were born in '91, I could be completely wrong about that but if its the case then you started supporting a team that was top of the Premier League when you were old enough to start following a team. So basically its the same thing as somebody who goes following Chelsea or Man City when they got big money. A fairweather fan if you will. Your loyalty will not be tested until United fall down the table as will happen at some stage during your lifetime.

I started supporting Arsenal in the run up to the 89 title.

I certainly wouldn't view myself as a fairweather fan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

markesmith wrote: »

I know a guy who supported Liverpool then supported United around 93/94 conveniently, think he is older than me too..
    Nemanja91 wrote: »

Know a handful of Chelsea fans since before they were rich though City fans are few and far between but i know of at least one i reckon and he too since before they struck oil.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,339 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

When it looked possible that Leeds were going to go bust a few years ago there was the very real chance that I wouldn't have a team to support. Even in those circumstances I couldn't see myself following a different team had Leeds gone bust. I've spent 35+ years following them, it would be impossible for me to become as emotionally attached to any other team after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Personally i couldnt see myself ever supporting another club i Rangers were to go out of existance.

Too many experiences in my life revolve around them, from going to my first game with my old man (a rite of passage that every guy should go through imo) to watching games in the pub with mates, watching my younger brothers go through the same realisations i did when starting to support Rangers.

The days before constantly televised football also had a huge effect, driving half a mile down the road in the car because we knew we could pick up a really weak, fuzzy reception on Radio Scotland to listen to live commentary on a freezing Tuesday night in Donegal, sitting in a pub with my dad and a load of Celtic fans watching the teletext revolve around giving us updates on an old firm game.

No other club can touch these things.

Of course i have "soft spots" for other teams, Finn Harps in Ireland, Everton in England, Sampdoria in Italy.

But i could never support them.

People talk about not actually "Being part of the club" - if this is the case, why do we do it?

Any true supporter, of any club, will tell you stories similar to mine, as i said earlier - players, managers, owners all come and go, the fans will be there forever.
    The fans ARE the club.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Whatever point it is that there is a team left that you haven't spent hours on a motorway in a bus grumbling and moaning why your team was robbed after a game...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭cantgetright

would never be a turn coat on any club to a rival in that domestic league, it be just wrong.
    I have many of soft spots for teams that have irish players or even managers involved. Roy Keane included.. To OP, if i only supported a club in a foreign league and i lost interest in them for whatever reasons, i would show my alleigance to a LOI side or Emm Barca

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,447 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

F**K it

I have been watching the Republic of Ireland on TV since 1981.
    I have been to a few games (home and away) as well.

But if I had known that following my team on the TV for all those years was the same as watching a soap I would have given up years ago.

You see I don't like watching soaps, however I do like watching Ireland and I found something different about watching Ireland.
    I can't explain it, but there was certainly a different felling in watching, for example, Ireland beat Scotland in 1987 that there was in watching Corrie.

I don't know there must be something wrong with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

As a kid I supported Cantona. This led me to support Leeds United but when Cantona changed, I changed (I was about 10 I guess).

Then I supported United quite strongly until I moved abroad at the age of 22. Since then my support has waned considerably. I have a parting interest in them. Would still "support" them but haven't had the chance to watch a game in about 3 years. So I'd say if I were to move back to Ireland or to the UK, I'd feel fine in supporting whomever I damn well felt like.

Probably would depend on a friends club. Its nice to be able to support the same club as a good friend. So whoever I'd be closest to at the time I move back and be in regular communication with, it would probably be their club. That said all my friends support united (most of them anyway) so this post if probably null and void.. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

You can maybe be happy if your FF captain scores against your team, but only if they're already winning 3-0 before it goes in. A girl I know changed her team from Liverpool to Chelsea (Chelsea, of all teams eh :rolleyes:) a few years ago and I have no respect for her opinions on football ever since

Advertisement