Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

At What Point is it Acceptable to Switch Allegiance?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,779 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

For the vast majority of Irish people who support EPL clubs it was an arbitrary decision with more or less nothing behind it in the first place anyway.

Support whoever you like IMO.

I picked Man United as the team I supported as a child because they were the first team I ever heard of and because I thought Ryan Giggs was the nuts. Fast-forward to the present and I no longer enjoy the way United set themselves up in the majority of games, and think they play a lot of unaesthetic soccer.

On the other hand, I love watching Arsenal play (and also think Fabregas has taken over from Giggs as the nuts) so have developed a bit of an affection for them.

When the two meet I'm sure I'll still want United to win, but I wouldn't be amazed if things continued the way they're going in terms of the styles the two teams play I found myself wanting Arsenal to win a similar fixture a few years down the road.

I have absolutely no affiliation to either club, and think it's fairly stupid to be hog-tied to an arbitrary decision I made as a four year old, so if I found my feelings shifted to the point where I no longer cared very much about United, I wouldn't exactly be ashamed or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

keane2097 wrote: »
    For the vast majority of Irish people who support EPL clubs it was an arbitrary decision with more or less nothing behind it in the first place anyway.

Support whoever you like IMO.

I picked Man United as the team I supported as a child because they were the first team I ever heard of and because I thought Ryan Giggs was the nuts. Fast-forward to the present and I no longer enjoy the way United set themselves up in the majority of games, and think they play a lot of unaesthetic soccer.

On the other hand, I love watching Arsenal play (and also think Fabregas has taken over from Giggs as the nuts) so have developed a bit of an affection for them.

When the two meet I'm sure I'll still want United to win, but I wouldn't be amazed if things continued the way they're going in terms of the styles the two teams play I found myself wanting Arsenal to win a similar fixture a few years down the road.

I have absolutely no affiliation to either club, and think it's fairly stupid to be hog-tied to an arbitrary decision I made as a four year old, so if I found my feelings shifted to the point where I no longer cared very much about United, I wouldn't exactly be ashamed or anything.

So your a fan of football more so then any team, that's fair enough I don't care what other people do but that depends on how they react towards supporting said team.

One thing though, why not Barca since they play what people deem the most attractive football?

RasTa wrote: »
    So your a fan of football more so then any team, that's fair enough I don't care what other people do but that depends on how they react towards supporting said team.

If that's what what I've said above means then fair enough. I've always been a United fan, and was big into it for a long time. I remember freaking out when Sheringham scoredthe equaliser in the ECL final and not having a voice left to shout when Ole got the winner.

Similarly I remember being distraught when Leverkusen and Dortmund put us out in the semi-final, etc etc.

The last couple of years I think we've taken an unbelievable nosedive in terms of our style of play and indeed our level of play - grinding out wins at best a lot of the time - that I have just found myself becoming more and more non-plussed by the team's fortunes.
    One thing though, why not Barca since they play what people deem the most attractive football?

I think it's because I know pretty much nothing about any of the teams outside of the big two in Spain. I watched El Clasico with serious interest, and it was an awesome spectacle.

I just find that watching Barca or Real play teams full of players I don't know (Sociodad, Almeria - teams like that) doesn't hold my interest so I can't really get excited about watching them.

Also, I find Barcelona's squad to be filled the most odious bunch of cretins imaginable, but that's just me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

The last couple of years I think we've taken an unbelievable nosedive in terms of our style of play and indeed our level of play - grinding out wins at best a lot of the time - that I have just found myself becoming more and more non-plussed by the team's fortunes.

In those last couple of years, let's take 4 which is a reasonable enough sample. We have won 3 league titles and competed in two champions league finals with arguably the best team we have assembled. I don't get your stance on our level or style of play being in decline.

Seems to me that you only like winners.

That statement might be a bit harsh but I can't find any other way to word it. When did the decline in our play start in your eyes?

I've moved stuff around abit to make my answer as coherent as possible...
    Seems to me that you only like winners.
    In those last couple of years, let's take 4 which is a reasonable enough sample. We have won 3 league titles and competed in two champions league finals with arguably the best team we have assembled.

Think it's pretty obvious that liking winners is the farthest thing from important to me.
    I don't get your stance on our level or style of play being in decline.

When did the decline in our play start in your eyes?

I think our play started to decline when Ronaldo became the best player in the EPL. Our style of play became 8 or 9 defenders, with Rooney and another getting forward to support when possible.

When we had the 11 clean sheets in a row or whatever it was - we didn't play great football. We shut teams down and had Ronaldo to produce a bit of magic to get us over the line in games.

When we lost Ronaldo we were lucky enough to have Rooney step up and play brilliantly, but it's based on the same negative approach IMO. The 4-5-1 we play is just awful to watch, however effective it is.

EDIT: It's obv not a decline in effectiveness I'm talking about (although that has happened as well this season without Rooney to drag us across the winning line) it's a move towards less attractive football.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Time to change your user name from keane2097 to {current_best_midfielder_2097} ?

stovelid wrote: »
    Time to change your user name from keane2097 to {current_best_midfielder_2097} ?

I was never a great midfielder so I'm happy enough to stick with my own name, thanks though.

A girl I know changed her team from Liverpool to Chelsea

The shopping is better in London I heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

I think it's because I know pretty much nothing about any of the teams outside of the big two in Spain. I watched El Clasico with serious interest, and it was an awesome spectacle.

I just find that watching Barca or Real play teams full of players I don't know (Sociodad, Almeria - teams like that) doesn't hold my interest so I can't really get excited about watching them.
    Also, I find Barcelona's squad to be filled the most odious bunch of cretins imaginable, but that's just me.

But that doesn't make sense. I find it very hard to believe you knew anything about the Wigans or Blackpools of the league whenever you jumped on the Man U bandwagon.

I wish people would just be honest. Its not about the best football, its about the easist way to watch football. And thats in the pub or on your couch.

All leads me to wonder where we would be if RTE showed live LoI games in the 80's when English football saturation was beginning. Will be interesting to see if the weekly LoI game on RTE impacts on the kids coming through.

But that doesn't make sense. I find it very hard to believe you knew anything about the Wigans or Blackpools of the league whenever you jumped on the Man U bandwagon.

I was four - it didn't make a difference. I wasn't particularly interested, and gradually built up an affinity to the club over the same period of time I got to know about over teams and players in the same league.

I could certainly do the same now if I decided I wanted to get into watching Spanish football, but I'm not motivated to.
    I wish people would just be honest. Its not about the best football, its about the easist way to watch football. And thats in the pub or on your couch.

Where is the dishonesty? How would that stop me supporting Barcelona in the slightest? I can probably see them on TV more often than any given EPL club.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

All leads me to wonder where we would be if RTE showed live LoI games in the 80's when English football saturation was beginning. Will be interesting to see if the weekly LoI game on RTE impacts on the kids coming through.

I think it was in the 1980s that Shamrock Rovers' owners decided to set in motion a machine which repeatedly punched Shamrock Rovers, and the National League in the nose, leaving little but a bloody and undignified mess. Let it not be forgotten that between the 1980s and 2006 Shamrock Rovers were the joke of the National League, and their activities gave the national league a bad name. This was when the Rovers were the League's marquee team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭CSF

You can maybe be happy if your FF captain scores against your team, but only if they're already winning 3-0 before it goes in. A girl I know changed her team from Liverpool to Chelsea (Chelsea, of all teams eh :rolleyes:) a few years ago and I have no respect for her opinions on football ever since
    You did beforehand?

Het-Field wrote: »
    Let it not be forgotten that between the 1980s and 2006 Shamrock Rovers were the joke of the National League, and their activities gave the national league a bad name..

What activities?

If you're talking about the much-masturbated over bad element, the Head-Hunters, Red Army and Guvnors have really put Irish people off supporting English teams haven't they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Hi guys. Please don't take this the wrong way and I'm not trying to seem arrogant or snobby.

I grew up in Galway where soccer is far from first priority. My Dad would rather watch Leitrim vs London in football instead of any great soccer match at the time. We all played soccer here for different clubs etc but people always had different clubs. I myself never really felt a strong bond with a club outside Ireland. Galway United were my only real club, although Irish soccer seemed like a charity, even 5 years ago.

My first match was against Finn Harps. Great match. I remember these Arabian fellows who snook in whiskey and were drinking during the match. My Dad always remembers that moment as a joke sly dig at soccer in general. We travelled to our 1st away match against Sligo Rovers in the FAI Cup in the Showgrounds soon after.

The next match I went to at home IIRC was a Killkenny match. We beat them 4-1. Alan Murphy was in his prime. I loved every second of it. It was everything soccer should be IMO. Entertainment, running on the pitch and getting an autograph off the Mixie Harty's and the Alan Murphy's of this world.

I like watching most football, except Man U Champion's League matches, these days. But one thing. I always found it weird how some fans would have their day and weeks ruined by the Liverpools and the Man Uniteds of this world. It amazed me to be fairly honest. Would they ever be able to get an autograph off their equivalent of Henry Shefflin or Joe Canning? No. Unless they resorted to ebay sadly.

I love soccer. In many ways I wish it would be more GAA-like in its interactions with fans but alas not.

My goal next year is to bring my Man U friends to Old Trafford to see Blackpool. I'm saving up the money already :D I went on a month-long holiday to Blackpool as a child and feel a great bond with the place in general.

In conclusion to see these Man U and Liverpool fans slaughter fellow Irishmen for changing allegiance to a team of their choice is kinda ridiculous IMO.

I admire the Gav "Shels" of this place who keep LOI in the eye of the Boards.ie public, even when I can't attend matches. I will always respect them for that. I try my best to go to matches but I cant. But I love the fans who do. In my opinion they are the "true football fans" you speak of.

I really don't want to annoy or offend anybody here. I respect you all but being so uptight about relationships with clubs in England and Scotland always seemed counter-productive to Irish football in general. Can we all just come to the conclusion that we should all go to more LOI matches please for the sake of the sport?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Can we all just come to the conclusion that we should all go to more LOI matches please for the sake of the sport in Ireland?

I agree with you that more people should support and go to LoI games, but soccer/football won't die out if people don't go to LoI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I admire the Gav "Shels" of this place who keep LOI in the eye of the Boards.ie public, even when I can't attend matches. I will always respect them for that. I try my best to go to matches but I cant. But I love the fans who do. In my opinion they are the "true football fans" you speak of.

:cool:

Can we all just come to the conclusion that we should all go to more LOI matches please for the sake of the sport?

+1

It's the point most LoI fans make, LoI is usually played on a Friday and English/Scottish on Saturdays and Sundays, why can't you support both?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

geeky wrote: »
    This is partly inspired by the general "Ashley is ruining football" reaction to Hughton's sacking, and the hint that some supporters might just stop going to games. Also the Hicks-Gillette fiasco, the Man U bloodletting and (for Irish fans) the hint that Roman Abramovich was going to sue us as a bondholder in one of the banks.

It seems that certain clubs are run by absolute gangsters who willfully run them into the ground long-term, pursuing a sale in the short term. Or they do pretty heinous things that make it clear that the person collecting all the profits is a despicable human being.

So, when is it right to just stop going to games, or stop caring entirely? Or, to put it another way, is bitching about an owner while continuing to line his pockets just being a mug of the highest order? When do you think a football fan should just say "fupp it" and find another team?

Once a blue always a blue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

I think its wrong to suddenly switch allegience from one side to another as this goes against everything that football stands for but i can understand a club other than the one you support can grow on you over time.
    ive known foriegn lads who started supporting and attending bohs games as they lived in the area this happens all over the world and its not wrong imo. on the other hand a person who just suddenly changes sides for no reason other than they are better or a certain player has signed for them can go fcuk themselves they aint real football people:pac:

Btw off topic but is it just me that cant understand why irish people support chelsea??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

major bill wrote: »

Btw off topic but is it just me that cant understand why irish people support chelsea??

Great part of London, I could very easily have started supporting them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Great part of London, I could very easily have started supporting them

true cant argue that and without trying to start up a sub thread here i never understood it though. its ''unacceptable'' to support rangers in this country who are seen as bigots and loyalists but yet irish people support a club whos support are closely linked with rangers and not to mention the blues brothers link with linfield aswell. combat 18 whos members also smashed up lansdowne were also chelsea.

interesting all the same:P

• Advertisement

true cant argue that and without trying to start up a sub thread here i never understood it though. its ''unacceptable'' to support rangers in this country who are seen as bigots and loyalists but yet irish people support a club whos support are closely linked with rangers and not to mention the blues brothers link with linfield aswell. combat 18 whos members also smashed up lansdowne were also chelsea.

interesting all the same:P

Even when some so called Chelsea fans did have links ( and if it was any other club fans,they will always say they have nothing to do with the team) they were a minority. And if you are a child watching football, it is highly unlikely you are going to know about them

Football supporters in England generally are very different from what they were

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Never understood it. They seem like the Rangers of England, all far-right-wing Football Factory types.

That said, I'm a Spurs man - and not a drop of Jew in my blood :pac:

markesmith wrote: »
    Never understood it. They seem like the Rangers of England, all far-right-wing Football Factory types.

Not the case

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Neither are all rangers fans ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

You can maybe be happy if your FF captain scores against your team, but only if they're already winning 3-0 before it goes in. A girl I know changed her team from Liverpool to Chelsea (Chelsea, of all teams eh :rolleyes:) a few years ago and I have no respect for her opinions on football ever since

Sorry I know I'm a bit late here but I am shocked by this post.

Are you actually telling me that in some stage in your life you took a women's opinion on football seriously and respected that opinion?

I know Chelsea have a right-wing element but I know two Chelsea supporters (Londoners) and they're sound and are not right-wing at all.

A lot of Irish people aren't interested in the social make-up of the support as they're usually removed from the local historical/social basis of the club and they're just supporting the football side in fairness. .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Hi guys. Please don't take this the wrong way and I'm not trying to seem arrogant or snobby.

I grew up in Galway where soccer is far from first priority. My Dad would rather watch Leitrim vs London in football instead of any great soccer match at the time. We all played soccer here for different clubs etc but people always had different clubs. I myself never really felt a strong bond with a club outside Ireland. Galway United were my only real club, although Irish soccer seemed like a charity, even 5 years ago.

My first match was against Finn Harps. Great match. I remember these Arabian fellows who snook in whiskey and were drinking during the match. My Dad always remembers that moment as a joke sly dig at soccer in general. We travelled to our 1st away match against Sligo Rovers in the FAI Cup in the Showgrounds soon after.

The next match I went to at home IIRC was a Killkenny match. We beat them 4-1. Alan Murphy was in his prime. I loved every second of it. It was everything soccer should be IMO. Entertainment, running on the pitch and getting an autograph off the Mixie Harty's and the Alan Murphy's of this world.

I like watching most football, except Man U Champion's League matches, these days. But one thing. I always found it weird how some fans would have their day and weeks ruined by the Liverpools and the Man Uniteds of this world. It amazed me to be fairly honest. Would they ever be able to get an autograph off their equivalent of Henry Shefflin or Joe Canning? No. Unless they resorted to ebay sadly.

I love soccer. In many ways I wish it would be more GAA-like in its interactions with fans but alas not.

My goal next year is to bring my Man U friends to Old Trafford to see Blackpool. I'm saving up the money already :D I went on a month-long holiday to Blackpool as a child and feel a great bond with the place in general.

In conclusion to see these Man U and Liverpool fans slaughter fellow Irishmen for changing allegiance to a team of their choice is kinda ridiculous IMO.

I really don't want to annoy or offend anybody here. I respect you all but being so uptight about relationships with clubs in England and Scotland always seemed counter-productive to Irish football in general. Can we all just come to the conclusion that we should all go to more LOI matches please for the sake of the sport?

Sums up pretty much how i feel.

I watch the premiership, champs league, love watching soccer but never felt a connection to any team (outside of the National team). It would just not effect me either way if one team won or lost.

I don't understand how people can give out about the 'manc scum' or 'them dirty scousers' when at the end of the day they have as much connection to the team that they support as to the team that they hate so passionately.

It makes me cringe.

Really the majority of Irish supporters of Man United and Liverpool (just using these clubs as an example as they both have the biggest support here) could just as easily ended up supporting the team they despise so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

One of my mates is an Arsenal Fan, used to go to most of the home games but when the Premiership prices started kicking in, he had enough.
    So he started going along to watch his local (Drogheda) side.
    He will always support the Ars*. but gets his football fix from watching Drogheda.
    I think thats a good solution

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I'll never stop being an Arsenal fan. If it ever comes to it that we get taken over by dispicable owners I will stop purchasing official merchandise and buying match tickets as not to fund them. I would still hope for the best for the team, only returning to support with my wallet when the rot has left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Born into a United house, love my team beyond belief. Will never stop, no matter what.

One of my best friends is a Chelsea fan, and he always has been.

Just thought I'd throw it in here as well cause its hilarious how some people switch. I used to know a lad who ''supported'' Arsenal, switched to united in 99. After 1/2 seasons, he switched back to Arsenal. Then when Liverpool beat Milan, yeah, switched. Nonetheless, hes now a Man City 'fan'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Just thought I'd throw it in here as well cause its hilarious how some people switch. I used to know a lad who ''supported'' Arsenal, switched to united in 99. After 1/2 seasons, he switched back to Arsenal. Then when Liverpool beat Milan, yeah, switched. Nonetheless, hes now a Man City 'fan'.
    Whats your thinking on this? What difference does it make if he switches?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Born into a United house,
    Was it in Manchester?
    [/QUOTE]

Don't see what you are getting annoyed about he picked his team just like your household did. He has no ties to them so should be free to "support" whoever he likes.

doncarlos wrote: »
    Was it in Manchester?

Don't see what you are getting annoyed about he picked his team just like your household did. He has no ties to them so should be free to "support" whoever he likes.[/QUOTE]

That's ridiculous on both counts. Geographical proximity shouldn't have to count, but once you pick a team, it's not right to change them. That's the code mate, surely we can all agree on that without LOI snobbery entering the equation?

Supporting a team since childhood is a link with the past. You don't have to be brought up on Seven Sisters Road for exclusive membership of Tottenham. I've been a fan since '84, when I was seven and living in the ars*hole of nowhere.

Don't see what you are getting annoyed about he picked his team just like your household did. He has no ties to them so should be free to "support" whoever he likes.

That's ridiculous on both counts. Geographical proximity shouldn't have to count, but once you pick a team, it's not right to change them. That's the code mate, surely we can all agree on that without LOI snobbery entering the equation?

Supporting a team since childhood is a link with the past. You don't have to be brought up on Seven Sisters Road for exclusive membership of Tottenham. I've been a fan since '84, when I was seven and living in the ars*hole of nowhere.

Why is it not right? People like to watch the best players play and like winning teams that's why 90% of people that support a foreign team choose them. If their chosen team starts losing or stops having the best players then why not choose another?
    It's nothing to do with LOI snobbery, the same happens in every town in the UK also that has a club outside the premiership.

It's nothing to do with LOI snobbery, the same happens in every town in the UK also that has a club outside the premiership.

Not quite. Those who don't support their local side first and foremost will support their local side and an EPL team.

As will Italians, Spaniards and Germans. The difference is the Irish don't.

• Advertisement

The "code"? Endless amounts of posters on this thread, and every other thread of this nature, have argued that there is no code when it comes to who you support and how you support a team. You can choose to support whoever you want, wherever you want, and you dont even have to be from there or attend any of the clubs matches, in fact this makes you no less of a supporter of someone who is from there and goes every week! Futher, you dont need any link to the place or the football club whatsoever.

So why suddenly is there a "code" that says you cant switch teams?

If, as is argued ad nauseum by posters here, there are no 'true' or 'real' football fans, and no set of criteria which defines them, then it is perfectly reasonable to change allegiance every week if you want. Either there is a universal set of rules/ideas for who you support and how you support them, or there isnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭tribesman78

Interesting topic about switching alligance. I believe it is up to the individual. One point that hasn't been made is the players of football clubs switching alligance. Are these players not fans also? Rooney once a blue always a blue, but now a red? Is he an Everton fan or a united fan now? Fabregas at aresnal, was barcelona fan in boyhood days? Carragher at liverpool was an everton fan in boyhood days? I would go as far to say that 75% of players playing for your clubs were not boyhood fans but changed alligance when they signed. So if the players can switch why not a fan? Just putting it out there.:confused:

CiaranC wrote: »
    The "code"? Endless amounts of posters on this thread, and every other thread of this nature, have argued that there is no code when it comes to who you support and how you support a team. You can choose to support whoever you want, wherever you want, and you dont even have to be from there or attend any of the clubs matches, in fact this makes you no less of a supporter of someone who is from there and goes every week! Futher, you dont need any link to the place or the football club whatsoever.

So why suddenly is there a "code" that says you cant switch teams?

If, as is argued ad nauseum by posters here, there are no 'true' or 'real' football fans, and no set of criteria which defines them, then it is perfectly reasonable to change allegiance every week if you want. Either there is a universal set of rules/ideas for who you support and how you support them, or there isnt.

Sorry CiaranC, you've been on boards.ie a long time, and have posted consistently, but the above point is absolutely ridiculous, and most people on here would agree with that.

Most of my mates - most people I know - believe that, if you were brought up a Liverpool fan, to suddenly start supporting Man City would be a bit of a betrayal.

It's hard to describe or articulate a feeling of loyalty to a club like Spurs when you're not from there, but the point you made above is ludicrous and I doubt you believe that yourself. I think you're wilfully being contrarian :P

It's hard to describe or articulate a feeling of loyalty to a club like Spurs when you're not from there, but the point you made above is ludicrous and I doubt you believe that yourself. I think you're wilfully being contrarian :P
    No, I dont think it OK to switch allegiance. I was simply making the logical argument that if choosing who you follow is completely arbitrary, I dont understand why you simply cant make another arbitrary choice for some other team later on. None of the 'normal' factors which tie you to your team exist in that case.

The idea of a Spurs fan from its traditional heartland switching over to a rival club elsewhere is so absurd it wouldnt even be discussed. Its akin to a Dublin GAA fan from the Liberties suddenly deciding to support Cork - absurd.

Yet here we are, in the Irish football fan context, discussing it. Several people have given examples of people switching, some more than once. These people seem to be universally viewed as "lesser" fans somehow, yet when certain types of fans here rebuke others for being otherwise "non-traditional" in their approach they are roundly attacked.

Its hypocritical in the extreme in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tom10

It's ok to change at any point you want just don't expect people to take your support for that team serious. But changing at any point is ok in my book - this is a personal choice, it's not like nationality.

• Advertisement

CiaranC is right. If you pick Liverpool because your brother supported them and then have a fight with him and pick Man U, its perfectly logical as your reasons for supporting them are flimsy.

In other words 'easy come, easy go'.

Where did all the fans of the SunderIreland experiment end up? There must be some on here

Not quite. Those who don't support their local side first and foremost will support their local side and an EPL team.

As will Italians, Spaniards and Germans. The difference is the Irish don't.

I don't think it happens in the UK much but it certainly happens on the continent. I work with a spanish guy and he supprts Celta Vigo (His home town club) and Barcelona. He says that everybody in Spain that supports a small club will support Barcelona or Real also. Seemed alien to me but I'm sure they think the same about the majority of Irish football supporters following foreign sides.

I don't think it happens in the UK much but it certainly happens on the continent. I work with a spanish guy and he supprts Celta Vigo (His home town club) and Barcelona. He says that everybody in Spain that supports a small club will support Barcelona or Real also. Seemed alien to me but I'm sure they think the same about the majority of Irish football supporters following foreign sides.

I have seen it in Italy too.

"I support Pisa and Juve" or "I support Novarra and Inter"

Always the local club if C or lower and a bigger team.

Tom10 wrote: »
    It's ok to change at any point you want just don't expect people to take your support for that team serious.
    This is pretty much how LOI fans feel about bar stoolers as well.

Zing!! :D

See you in 2 weeks...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭VW 1

Pretty much sick of this debate, but just have one question for you on this...

People like HomerJay who supports United and travels to England on probably a bi-weekly basis for the home games as well as European games, is that person a real football fan because they see their team play probably as much as an LoI fan like yourself? Or do they fall in line with other barstoolers as you like to put it because they dont support their local club?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Nemanja91 wrote: »
    Sure I wouldn't know a single Chelsea or man city fan if they hadn't changed from other teams!

/waves

Not quite. Those who don't support their local side first and foremost will support their local side and an EPL team. As will Italians, Spaniards and Germans.

Found this to be the case in Norway too when I was there. And they are insane about the EPL over there.

Just can't get how people can have a orimary club from a country they have no connection to. I think you have to have been born there or lived there for a substantional amount of time (ideally the same city but even just the same country) to really be close and connect to the club.

I mean primary club. Not knocking people who support a local team and have another team that they love that they watch on the box or try and get over to see every now and then if they can.

VW 1 wrote: »
    Pretty much sick of this debate, but just have one question for you on this...

People like HomerJay who supports United and travels to England on probably a bi-weekly basis for the home games as well as European games, is that person a real football fan because they see their team play probably as much as an LoI fan like yourself? Or do they fall in line with other barstoolers as you like to put it because they dont support their local club?

Then he isn't a barstooler, is he?

I started supporting Spurs after seeing them win the UEFA Cup in 1984. I watched the match on TV, sorry about that, I was a kid and foreign travel just for a game of football wasn't an option.

Being from Offaly, the nearest LoI team was Athlone Town. I'd never heard of them at that stage, because in Offaly it was all about hurling and Gaelic football. And in any case, Offaly-Westmeath is a bit of a rivalry.

Moved to Dublin to go to college, but never felt any affinity with Bohs, Shelbourne or whoever.

Now I'm in Galway, planning on getting a season ticket for Galway Utd.

So I'm a Spurs fan for 25 years, and now Galway Utd is my LoI team.

Is that satisfactory? Surely you LoI fans can see the logic in someone supporting an English side, but also querying the integrity of someone who does the old switcheroo to Chelsea/Sunderland/United/Man City?

• Advertisement
Advertisement