Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

At What Point is it Acceptable to Switch Allegiance?

12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

CiaranC wrote: »
    I think people that hang around bars watching Liverpool and Manchester with their replica jerseys on and calling them "we" and "us", despite having hardly, if ever, having been in those places, are clowns. This is clownish behaviour. Its an opinion, one I am entitled to have, and Im sorry if it upsets you and your "lifestyle choice". Its also one I share when asked or when the conversation comes up in "real life".

Theres no need to be wishing violence on me over the internet, thats just embarrassing.

Lol, nah the only thing that's embarrassing here is you and the vitriol you have for these types, c'mon like don't you see how pathetic you are? a little hot head cribbing and whinging about people you don't even know and moaning about what they wear and where they have or haven't been. Anything better to talk about in real life, or indeed on the internet?

You're some saddo lad, go out and get some pussy and forget about all these nasty barstoolers and their offensive attire.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

stovelid wrote: »
    I don't act like a bully.

What happens is that threads like this amble along and while some people get annoyed (fair enough) and some generalization is made, a lot of people still discuss the topic even if it's deigned to be repetitive and insulting to self-elected arbiters such as yourself.

Then you or a few people like you come in with the OMG LOOK AT THE LOI GESTAPO LULZ,

If that doesn't get a reaction, you post it again or try a variant along the lines of WE'RE NOT REALZ FOOTBALL FANZ.

Then the thread goes off topic like this and may even get closed which is generally exactly what you want.

It's a good job I eventually saw you and CHD actually posting in other forums. For ages, I thought you were both the output of a simple cron script that just periodically fired off random OMG LOI LULZ posts into any thread with LOI in it.

my full of crap point stands high and strong now that ive read this. I thought you were going to come up with something at least some way valid, instead its just bringing up CHD again for some insane reason, i dunno.. i think you think i liked him or something. and as said - i dont post in LoI threads, but yeah, ignore that.. it might make your point look like crap. and as for the gestapo - its pretty much you licking up to ohnoyoudidnt and ciaranc, although the latter is actually a decent poster. is that how you got into SaG or whatever clique your in now btw? serial ass licking?
    and as for the topic being repititive - it really is only because you and ohnoyoudidnt keep bringing it up because you are choc-a-block desperate to make yourselves feel better then others via the internet. what is it ohnoyoudidnt hated and used to act smug towards? oh yes, bebo. he actually used to try and insult people on the internet by slagging a popular internet site.. nice wan. couple of aging sad acts with **** all else to do tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Jazzy wrote: »
    my full of crap point stands high and strong now that ive read this. I thought you were going to come up with something at least some way valid, instead its just bringing up CHD again for some insane reason, i dunno.. i think you think i liked him or something. and as said - i dont post in LoI threads, but yeah, ignore that.. it might make your point look like crap. and as for the gestapo - its pretty much you licking up to ohnoyoudidnt and ciaranc, although the latter is actually a decent poster. is that how you got into SaG or whatever clique your in now btw? serial ass licking?
    and as for the topic being repititive - it really is only because you and ohnoyoudidnt keep bringing it up because you are choc-a-block desperate to make yourselves feel better then others via the internet. what is it ohnoyoudidnt hated and used to act smug towards? oh yes, bebo. he actually used to try and insult people on the internet by slagging a popular internet site.. nice wan. couple of aging sad acts with **** all else to do tbh

You're pretty obsessed there. You need to start keeping your nose out of other people's personal business a bit. Public posts are fair game obviously, but only that.

You're pretty obsessed there. You need to start keeping your nose out of other people's personal business a bit. Public posts are fair game obviously, but only that.

im not wrong though am i. and what personal business are you talking about? a private forum im not a member of and know **** all about? again, you are trying to bring something up that isnt there only to make yourself appear right.

im not wrong though am i. and what personal business are you talking about? a private forum im not a member of and know **** all about? again, you are trying to bring something up that isnt there only to make yourself appear right.

Still not your business. As we discussed the last time you brought it up.

Although spouting off about it behind your keyboard probably makes you feel very brave?

Still not your business. As we discussed the last time you brought it up.

Although spouting off about it behind your keyboard probably makes you feel very brave?

whats not my business? i barely follow you here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Box of tampons to aisle 3 please, two girls seem to be having their time of the month.

whats not my business? i barely follow you here

lol

lol

smashing answer. i *think* you are going on about SaG or something. yeah a mate of mine posts there, but amazingly i dont give a sh1t. i barely know who's a member there (i think i can name 4 off hand) and have very little interest in it. i remember winding you up on another forum saying i was going to read your posts on it, but no, i have very very little interest in doing that and im not sure my mate would let me and i think he'd think that would be a little weird.
    i have about as much interest in it as 2 LoI fans i know have an interest (or care) about what football club i support :)

smashing answer. i *think* you are going on about SaG or something. yeah a mate of mine posts there, but amazingly i dont give a sh1t. i barely know who's a member there (i think i can name 4 off hand) and have very little interest in it. i remember winding you up on another forum saying i was going to read your posts on it, but no, i have very very little interest in doing that and im not sure my mate would let me and i think he'd think that would be a little weird.

• Advertisement

you forgot the last bit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Jaysus, this thread has legs yet!

One thing I've got from this is that we should maybe split the soccer forum into a LoI forum and then a separate forum for those of us who weren't born near a LoI team and thus had to spiritually 'emigrate' to a place that had its local team on the telly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

I think people that hang around bars watching Liverpool and Manchester with their replica jerseys on and calling them "we" and "us", despite having hardly, if ever, having been in those places, are clowns. This is clownish behaviour. Its an opinion, one I am entitled to have, and Im sorry if it upsets you and your "lifestyle choice". Its also one I share when asked or when the conversation comes up in "real life".

Theres no need to be wishing violence on me over the internet, thats just embarrassing.

Why do you insist on bringing this up on every single thread? You know its the norm for UK and Irish clubs teams to move around the area they are from quite a bit?

They may move around the general area. However, they will never stray too far from home. You know that, and you are seeking to use exOn the other hand, Rovers traditional homebase was Dublin 4. They have NO link to D4 anymore. Tallaght had nothing to do with Shamrock Rovers. It will cultivate a new relationship with the area, however, the original demograph who should be supporting Rovers are no longer in the vicinity. This of course ignores the Rovers' trips to Drumcondra, Phibsboro, and Santry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

You're some saddo lad, go out and get some pussy and forget about all these nasty barstoolers and their offensive attire.
    Do mean "go out and get laid" or watch it on a screen and pretend its the real thing? ;)
    Het-Field wrote:
    They may move around the general area. However, they will never stray too far from home. You know that, and you are seeking to use exOn the other hand, Rovers traditional homebase was Dublin 4. They have NO link to D4 anymore. Tallaght had nothing to do with Shamrock Rovers. It will cultivate a new relationship with the area, however, the original demograph who should be supporting Rovers are no longer in the vicinity. This of course ignores the Rovers' trips to Drumcondra, Phibsboro, and Santry.
    What the hell are you banging on about? How is this relevant to anything? Do you think people dont know that Rovers have moved down the road to Tallaght? (Its about 5 miles btw)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

WTF is 'SaG' when it's at home?
    Crosáidí wrote: »
    Doesn't every Irishman have Celtic as their back-up club

Absolutely not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Xavi6 wrote: »
    WTF is 'SaG' when it's at home?

Its what happens aul wans' tits when they start getting on a bit.

And what happens my faith in humanity when I read this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

I think it's acceptable if your club disappears from football for starters. In that way, you're just looking for a new club.

I think the reasons behind wanting to switch allegiance are also important. If someone switches because the club they currently support are going through a bad patch and they switch to a team who is winning all the time just so they support a winning club, well that's out of order.

I think something else which could influence a switch are the teams principles or even the principles of the fans at a certain club.

For example, I have stopped watching Celtic or calling myself a supporter. One because I feel that I followed them for the wrong reasons in the first place. At first it was kinda like the Ireland v the Brits. I was more interested in beating Rangers. Like getting one over on the Brits. Now I just feel that most of the supporters of Celtic that I know, probably support Celtic for the same reasons I did. I now feel different with regards to teh whole Ireland/England thing as I lived over there for 3 years and as an Irish person, I felt like the English in general were really nice to me all the time. I can say that in 3 years, I only ever had one not great experience with an English man and to be honest, it had nothing to do with being Irish.

Anyway all in all, I feel that the reasons I supported the club wasn't really for football. If others supported a club maybe because it was because it could be mainly followed by Nazi's (this is only an example) but then changed their views about the club, in that sense, I could see it as okay switching to a different team.

Each person will have their reasons for wanting to switch clubs and some may have valid reasons whilst others won't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,447 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

For example, I have stopped watching Celtic or calling myself a supporter. One because I feel that I followed them for the wrong reasons in the first place. At first it was kinda like the Ireland v the Brits. I was more interested in beating Rangers. Like getting one over on the Brits. Now I just feel that most of the supporters of Celtic that I know, probably support Celtic for the same reasons I did..

I had the very same experience with regards to Celtic.

I like them cos they were 'Irish' and there was a huge 'Orange Masonic conspiracy' against then back in the early and mid 90s, and Rangers fans ate children

Then I grew up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Do mean "go out and get laid" or watch it on a screen and pretend its the real thing? ;)

Well played sir!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Magnificent work, succintly put, and just the hint of what we think of the Ole Ole brigade.

doncarlos wrote: »
    Well played sir!
    Magnificent work, succintly put, and just the hint of what we think of the Ole Ole brigade.

Uh-oh, looks like we got ourselves a LoI circle jerk going on. Ye ladies continue to whinge about what people, sorry barstoolers, wear and where they have or haven't been, i'm sure if you moan about it long enough on the internet then people might see the error of their ways.

Uh-oh, looks like we got ourselves a LoI circle jerk going on. Ye ladies continue to whinge about what people, sorry barstoolers, wear and where they have or haven't been, i'm sure if you moan about it long enough on the internet then people might see the error of their ways.
    Off to the Wigan game at the weekend are you?

Off to the Wigan game at the weekend are you?

Working;)

Working;)

Shame. Sure you might catch it on the TV

Shame. Sure you might catch it on the TV

Hopefully on down the pub, you gonna have a little cry if i turn up in a Villa shirt?

• Advertisement

Hopefully on down the pub, you gonna have a little cry if i turn up in a Villa shirt?
    Nah Ill have a little laugh. You should order your gargles in a faux brummie accent to really get into the experience. Maybe get the Irish Wigan fans down and sing across the pub at them. Oh wait there arent any.

Nah Ill have a little laugh. You should order your gargles in a faux brummie accent to really get into the experience. Maybe get the Irish Wigan fans down and sing across the pub at them. Oh wait there arent any.

Lol such a bitter little LoI-er, did an EPL team's supporter kill your dog or what?

Lol such a bitter little LoI-er, did an EPL team's supporter kill your dog or what?
    Nah, but an EPL fan I know watched a movie about it and then convinced himself that he really had. His names Walter.

417.gif

I can go all day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,447 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Nah, but an EPL fan I know watched a movie about it and then convinced himself that he really had. His names Walter.

I can go all day

And no doubt you will, on this and other threads you hi-jack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

How did he hijack the thread?

It was quite interesting until Jazzy and Invisible came along to defend their position with a mix of incoherence and abuse.

• Advertisement

If you care to look back you will see quite clearly that the thread was hi-jacked by EPL fans who cant bear the idea that anyone express an opinion contrary to their vision of supporting a football team.

How dare anyone think any different to them, its disgraceful.

P.S. I can only go till about 4, Ive better things to be doing after that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Jesus I'm starting to be sorry I started this now. Does every single thread of any length turn into an EPL-LOI bitchfest after 5 pages? Is it this forum's equivalent of Godwin's law?

*sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭VW 1

this is getting seriously ridiculous, fair enough a couple of posts off topic..but there hasnt been an OT post in about 12 pages...

*clicks unfollow thread button*

How did he hijack the thread?

It was quite interesting until Jazzy and Invisible came along to defend their position with a mix of incoherence and abuse.

awwwwwwwwwwwwwww did i make fun of some old man trying to bully people on the internet? did i call out that guy who was substituting for toilet paper for you and ciaran?
    how was it interesting exactly? hasnt it been the same thing you've been spouting on for for literally years... surely you must be bored by now... oh wait.. yup, forgot that it isnt the point you are making, its how you wanna make yourself feel :) not much going on there champ is there ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

An adult could never switch. But young good looking boys could probably get away with it with a cheeky smile and a wink up until about, say, 23. But they would have to be good looking - and not worried about never being taken seriously again ever in their whole lives. Ever.

Advertisement