Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refused grant, what now?

Options
  • 09-12-2010 12:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭

I received my letter telling me i wasn't getting the grant. I wasn't expecting it anyway but i applied. I was just little over the income limits and i have been to college and done a degree already.

I am in a one year further education college doing a course i absolutely love. I am living of savings, with no job as i had to give it up to move for the course. I have enough saved to finish the year and possibly for next summer.

But the course allows me to progress and do another year, which is what i want and aiming for. But starting that year is only 10 months away. But thinking of money now and what i can do?

I dont want to start the year if have no way of supporting myself. If i have to i will work but there is alot of work to be done for the course in seccond year. I also want to give 100% on the course and i am not sure if i can do that if i have to work. But i will work if i find a job that's suitable.

Another option is to take a year out and save again. This would be great also if i was to get work in what i want to do and gain experience while i am at it.

But what if cant get work? Go on the dole for a year. I wouldn't mind but how am i to save on the dole? It cant be done. I know with the BTEA you have to be on the dole for a certain amount of months. But what else do i have to have to be eligible for the BTEA for the year out. Is it similar to the grant, where they only give you it if you have no qualifications? Or is it just if you are unemployed. If that was the case, that sounds easy.

So what can i do? I cant believe i am thinking of this already but no point putting it off.

Advertisement