Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

renting a room in a house-tv licence query

Options
  • 09-12-2010 1:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

I am renting a room in a house with 1 other person, i have been there 6 months, the bill for the tv licence of 160e came in the door the other day and its expiry is the 30nov10.I assume the new licence will cover till 30nov11.I do not think we should have to pay this because

A.what about the tenants who have been and gone inbetween the last bill and not paid but used the tv?

B.I am not obliged to stay till 30nov11 so if I moved out in jan or feb 2011 what would happen to the rest I paid for?

I am actually going to move out, he made us sign this contract which doesn't look very legal, he enters the house whenever he wants, he hasn't provided rent books and isn't even regeistered with the prtb, I had a friend stay over 1 night and he actually called over at 1am to check on us

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

A.what about the tenants who have been and gone inbetween the last bill and not paid but used the tv?

> Don't worry about those guys. Just pay your own household licence.

B.I am not obliged to stay till 30nov11 so if I moved out in jan or feb 2011 what would happen to the rest I paid for?

> That's a question between you and the other tenants. You need to make an agreement with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

I am renting a room in a house with 1 other person, i have been there 6 months, the bill for the tv licence of 160e came in the door the other day and its expiry is the 30nov10.I assume the new licence will cover till 30nov11.I do not think we should have to pay this because

I am actually going to move out, he made us sign this contract which doesn't look very legal, he enters the house whenever he wants, he hasn't provided rent books and isn't even regeistered with the prtb, I had a friend stay over 1 night and he actually called over at 1am to check on us

when you move you can transfer the tv license to your new address as long as the license is registered under your name

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Dermo wrote: »
    when you move you can transfer the tv license to your new address as long as the license is registered under your name

+1 so you're better off having it in your name than contributing towards it under someone elses name as you can transfer it to whatever property you move to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

if only a forum like this had a search function, that would be brilliant ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

On another point, call the Inland Revenue on your "landlord"; from the behaviour you describe, he is potentially in breach of at least 3 laws:

1. Not declaring rent;
    2. Not registered with the PRTB;
    3. No BER cert.

He is looking at pretty hefty fines and maybe some imprisonment.

These are the type of LL's that need to be taught a lesson.

• Advertisement
Advertisement