Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Resident Evil 1&2

• 09-12-2010 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Is it just me or were Resident Evil 1 & 2 for the PS1 two of the best games I've ever played? I would love to have both of these games remastered and re-released on xbox 360/PS3. Looking forward to playing the new Goldeneye as this was also a classic so I was delighted to see this classic remastered.
    Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Get a gamecube and play the REmake, absolutly amazing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Wait...don't open that door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

**** remakes - stick with the originals ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

resident evil 2 made me fall in love with games, i never found ( and still havent really) a game with such an involving story imo. i was hooked from the moment you get to the gun shop, amazing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

I went back and replayed RE1 on the PC (Win95 compatibility under XP I think it was worked) and it was brilliant.
    I found it glacially and unbearably slow on the PS1 though (under PC emulation, but running at full speed).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

Hey OP, Res 1 & Rez 0 (zero) were also re-released on the Wii (I have them both). I played them all on the PS1 and loved them, but I thought the remake on the GameCube was better and the Wii version is even better again. The graphical improvements on the newer consoles do not take away from the original experience.

I remember around Res 1 release date, standing inside the front door of Game on Grafton St. playing it on a large projection screen and thinking this was the most atmospheric game I'd ever seen/played. Personally I think the newer ones (4,5) are crap in comparison.

Have to agree with you though, those games (Res 0,1,2) are certainly in my top 10 (if not top 5) games of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 dunlucewarlock

funkyjebus wrote: »
    resident evil 2 made me fall in love with games, i never found ( and still havent really) a game with such an involving story imo. i was hooked from the moment you get to the gun shop, amazing.

True, RE2 got me hooked! I then went out and bought RE directors cut and havent played a better game since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭paperwork

Personally I think the newer ones (4,5) are crap in comparison.

4 isn't good in comparason... but the change needed to be made, When 2 came out it was amazing, but by the time 4 rolled around the original format was over... as displayed by resident evil 0...

5 isnt a resi game, its just a third person shooter that uses the resi ip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭scottie pippen

Totally agree with you, they are brilliant games, not too long ago my wife & I replayed them.

When I first got resident evil 2, I spent nearly a whole weekend playing, I was wake nearly 24 hours solid playing it (the only game that has ever kept me that enthralled)

the remake of resident evil one for the gamecube is brilliant, no point in remaking it again, as that still holds its own imo

the most atmospheric game I'd ever seen/played. Personally I think the newer ones (4,5) are crap in comparison.

True, when I first started playing it, it was so eerie(spelling?) I would have to play it with all the lights on. Used to freak me out. ha. The newer ones I liked though, mainly because myself and my mate would play it on his projector screen which was awesome, they were a bit too easy though.

• Advertisement

(the only game that has ever kept me that enthralled)

Sounds about right. From the intro of Leon driving into town I was sucked in. On an unrelated topic, FX (tv channel) are showing a tv show in its first season at the moment called "The Walking Dead", a must for any RE fan. Its excellent and worth a watch.

o1s1n wrote: »
    **** remakes - stick with the originals ;)

I only said that because the op was looking for a remastered version

wel still cool brother? (talking like dog the bounty hunter makes me cool right?)

Also you gota give up that ice brother, you got a baby girl to think about!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

I love RE4!, as I'm sure everyone on here knows by now, it had a good few scares for me in it and a lot of replay value too, I love the over the shoulder poin of view, I'm still playing it at the moment on professional. Was thinking last night 'should I buy a Wii to play RE4 with the wiimotes', maybe I'll buy RE4 in HMV for €18 and have it there so if I geet a Wii I'll have it there rigth away.
    RE5 was **** as a RE game but after playing it again its not too bad, just a pity its in daylight, and Sheva...! What in the name of jaysus were Capcom thinking lol.

I'm trying to play RE1 on the DS at the moment and cant get used to the controls and the looking down/over prospective tbh. But I am keeping an eye out for a copy of RE1,2&3 and maybe Zero for the Gamecube so might be better on the tv.

Anyone on here play the RE deadly Silents on the ds and what did you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

I love RE4!, as I'm sure everyone on here knows by now, it had a good few scares for me in it and a lot of replay value too, I love the over the shoulder poin of view, I'm still playing it at the moment on professional. Was thinking last night 'should I buy a Wii to play RE4 with the wiimotes', maybe I'll buy RE4 in HMV for €18 and have it there so if I geet a Wii I'll have it there rigth away.
    RE5 was **** as a RE game but after playing it again its not too bad, just a pity its in daylight, and Sheva...! What in the name of jaysus were Capcom thinking lol.

I'm trying to play RE1 on the DS at the moment and cant get used to the controls and the looking down/over prospective tbh. But I am keeping an eye out for a copy of RE1,2&3 and maybe Zero for the Gamecube so might be better on the tv.

Anyone on here play the RE deadly Silents on the ds and what did you think?

What, is this only €18 in HMV, might pick this up tonight. Let me know

Yup! Had it in my hand yesterday RE4 €17.99, there was a few copys of it there, I may go up and get a copy today myself now lol. But i dont have a Wii lol

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think both Resi 1 and REmake are worth playing. Both give such a different expereince they are pretty much different games.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I think both Resi 1 and REmake are worth playing. Both give such a different expereince they are pretty much different games.

So you mean RE1 on the ps1 is different from the remade RE1 on the Gamecube? As in different storys or just different graphics?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They are so different from each other that I feel that both are worth playing.

Resi REmake has new graphics (it looks amazing) but they also changed the lay out of the mansion a bit, changed the play mechanics a little, changed all the bosses, added spectacular looking cutscenes, added new areas to explore, changed the puzzle solutions and also added new story bits including a new character Lisa who's backstory is fantastic and she shows up as a pyramid head type character during the game and as a new boss.

Also dead zombies need to be disposed of because... well I'll let you find out yourself but it adds a lot more strategy to getting around the mansion.

If you haven't played Remake yet then you owe tt to yourself to do so.

However I don't think it makes Resi 1 on the PS1 obsolete because it's such a different game and still a great game. It also has that script and acting!

Acting! I'm sold!
    I keep at the DS RE version for the time being.
    When I finish that one i will get the REmake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 nmblade

RE 1 and 2 are great games plus the REmake is definitely worth a playthrough. Cant remember 3 too much, but as far as I can remember it was ok for a playthrough.

Havent seen it been mentioned but if you really enjoyed the first RE, I recommend getting the Director's Cut version on PS1 (didn't see any mention of it here yet).

It contains the original game plus an additional mode with a higher difficulty level and the placement of items like keys etc. are rearranged among other features.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

REmake is a must play game if you have or had a Gamecube but the original is well worth playing and I'd actually recommend you play it first before going onto the GC version. It'll give you a bigger picture of all the changes and effort that went into the REmake but also RE1 is like one of those great B movie horrors from the 80s with terribly, cheesy acting. That didn't really translate into the REmake, you won't hear "aiieeeee MONSTERS!" or "Jill Sandwhich" in the GC build.

If your really interested, you could take a look at getting the NTSC version of RE1 Director's Cut: Dual Shock Edition as the entire soundtrack has been changed but the original is arguably the best, far more atmospheric.

RE2 is the same on whatever console really with slight differences only in the bonus games not in the actual content of the game. The Dreamcast version is the same as the PC version with the gallery and cut-scene theatre options. The Gamecube version features the Extreme Biohazard mini-game while the PSX version only has the Tofu and Hunk 4th Survivor mini-games. The N64 version has a tiny difference in that in had letters that linked up characters or incidents from the previous games but your not missing much by not seeing them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Those bloody dogs coming through the window, I nearly shat meself!
    Good stuff.

That character movement is awful though, I'm surprised they never made a "fixed" ps1 Resi with proper controls.
    Ah well...

Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    That character movement is awful though, I'm surprised they never made a "fixed" ps1 Resi with proper controls.
    Ah well...

It's of it's time really. Was fine back then. I really can't deal with tank controls in this day and age though. Tomb Raider is the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Nemesis is the best traditional Resi game.

The 180 turn and dodge were great improvements, Nemesis was a better version of Mr. X from Resi 2, the Live Selections were a good way of adding replayability and the Mercenaries was great.

Nemesis is the best traditional Resi game.

The 180 turn and dodge were great improvements, Nemesis was a better version of Mr. X from Resi 2, the Live Selections were a good way of adding replayability and the Mercenaries was great.

You must be joking.

Nemesis was the worst RE game I've played and I've played them all except 5. Nemesis himself was a big boogey man, nothing more. He pops up and the music gets intense, but it's like the worst horror movie that relies on the monster popping up for a quick scare. You didn't fight Mr. X as often in RE2 but the battles were memorable, especially in the Train Yards where you see him on the Monitor slowly walking towards the CCTV and smashing it to pieces.

Nemesis was awful. Big Frankenstein with a Rocket Launcher ffs. The plot and voice acting for RE3 were awful aswell, and I remember getting to the Police Station (the same one as in RE2) and finding doors blocked off that would be unblocked hours later when RE2 takes place, why?! :/

Master of the Universe

I was waiting for you to come along with that post :pac:

You're not missing much with RE5. It's playable...but generic action game is generic.

I'm not really a critic of games like say Retr0 but I have a gripe with RE3. Capcom let me down on that one. Should have been such a better a game and could have been, but I don't think the original production team from RE1 and RE2 were in on it, can't remember now. RE3 didn't happen for me, I just skip to Code: Veronica.

Well I really liked Resi 3. It's good but it does feel a bit like a mission pack to Resi 2 which it was originally envisioned to be. I enjoyed it but it wasn't close to as good as Resi 2 and the reused assets were a bit jarring particularly when they weren't rendered as well as the new areas. It also had the fantastic mercenaries mode.

I actually think Code Veronica is the weakest of the series excluding Zero and 5.

RE2 set the bar high but RE3 was a cash-in, I'm telling you. The trouble was that it failed to build on the story arc introduced in RE2 in any meaningful way and the game's only innovations were things like being able to do a 180-turn and a dodge capacity, making your own bullets and the Live selections (not a terrible idea but implemented badly). Was just a rehash really.

The atmosphere suffered immensely too in RE3. In 1 and 2 you were trapped inside buildings like the Mansion, the Police Station and except for brief jaunts out in the open, the atmosphere was close, you expected beings to smash the windows out and crawl in, hitting the floor with a dead meat sound and rise, shambling toward you with glazed yet ravenous eyes.

Of all things RE3 suffers most from, it's that I played the game already, twice, when it was called RE1 and RE2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭paperwork

I actually think Code Veronica is the weakest of the series excluding Zero and 5.

uh zero... i really WANTED to love 0... but its just so dull... i never finished it when it first came out... i tried again on the wii but lost interest even sooner than i did on the gc.

I liked Resi Zero when I played it first. Liked but didn't love. Played it a second time about 2 years ago and really didn't enjoy it that much either. Rebecca is hot though so that got me through it!

0 is so clunky, especially moving in and out of menu's :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

RE2 when the lictor scuttles by the window was the first time a computer game actually gave me the heebie jeebies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

1 was great because of this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

RE1, Directors Cut, Deadly Silence and especially REmake = Class

RE2 = One of the greatest games ever made, needs a REmake style facelift and it will probably become THE greatest game ever made.

RE3 = Lazy cash-in but still enjoyable as it was basically just RE2 with Jill.
    The Nemesis was just annoying after a while, turning around to go back through the door you just entered (and suffering the load screen) every time you hear "STAARRRSS" was ****ing tiresome, but it was that or waste your ammo taking him down.

Code Veronica = Can suck my ass. Steve, the Ashford twins, **** you.

Outbreak= Only played the first one, shockingly bad controls.
    What's the second like? Never played Zero either, heard bad things but it can't be as bad as Veronica....can it?

RE4 = Incredible game, can't recommend it enough.

RE5 = **** you Capcom.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have only completed Resident Evil on the PS, despite owning the rest on the PS, the GC and Wii editions too.
    I think if they only revisited the games and made an updated movement system available it'd all be much better, although if it was Nintendo to do it, they'd probably make it with motion controls!

Outbreak= Only played the first one, shockingly bad controls.
    What's the second like? Never played Zero either, heard bad things but it can't be as bad as Veronica....can it?

Outbreak File 2 is a good bit better. You could play online on European Servers (which have since been taking down :/) and there was actually a bit more story for the characters, I had a good time playing it. Mr. X is in one of the levels :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,733 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'm too scared to play through REmake.

Because I've heard all about the Redheads.
    Nooooooooo thaaaaankssssss.

Its the actress who played Jill in the first RE fmvs Irish?

Well mabye not Irish but I think she was in fair city and all, i remember looking into it a while ago

That was a rumour, think it turned out to be false. People thought it was Una Kavanagh.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055674944

It was just one of Capcom japanese native english speakers. Back in those days voice actors and actors for japanese games were usually just whoever was working there at the time that could speak english, usually work placement interns.

• Advertisement

Ah right, thanks for clearing that up for me.

now who played rebecca in the fmvs? :P

Ah yes, bec becs. Tap it? I'd destroy her.

oh yes i believe i would too

if you like that then you'll love this!

http://www.acparadise.com/acp/display.php?c=12916

Yet another reaons why i must go to japan!

Did the Actors from Resident Evil ever show up at say a Comic Con or anything? Surely they'd make a nice sum doing that circuit.

They probably don't realise how famous they are. They were probably working in finance or accounts since they'd be most likely to need english native speakers and no interst in games.

well in 1996 id sex up both jill and rebecca

nice to see what they would look like now :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

That was a rumour, think it turned out to be false. People thought it was Una Kavanagh.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055674944

It was just one of Capcom japanese native english speakers. Back in those days voice actors and actors for japanese games were usually just whoever was working there at the time that could speak english, usually work placement interns.

Interesting, I wonder who said...

"Wait, don't open that door!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,733 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

So who looked through the desk in Resi 2 until they found the pic of Rebecca in a basketball uniform?
    :D

Master of the Universe

Even worse, who kept crawling back and forth through an air duct in MGS to see Meryl in her underwear?

Ah, the confusing life of a 90s teen.

EnterNow wrote: »
    Interesting, I wonder who said...

"Wait, don't open that door!"

I think the actors in the intro were different from the voice actors. You cansee how badly lip synced they are.

Have to love the sock puppet dogs in the intro :)
    K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    So who looked through the desk in Resi 2 until they found the pic of Rebecca in a basketball uniform?
    :D

What what what! I'm off to play Resi 2 again this weekend!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement