Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on Jeep Purchase

• 09-12-2010 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Having spent 2 weeks house-bound, I am seriously considering buying a jeep. We are situated a few miles off the main road and access both ways is via hills that have been impassable to cars.

I'm thinking of buying a 'run-around' jeep for the winter months so as I can get to/from work and get to the shops. Something very basic - not looking for any mod-cons.

Any advice on what I should get. I also do a bit of hill-walking so it would be useful for those excursions (tent, muddy boots etc thrown into the back).

Would probably only be using it for 3 months in winter and 3 months summer, would it be possible to work this into my existing insurance policy.

Sorry for the long-winded email..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Ya might want to try the 4x4 forum those lads over there really know their stuff.

Tell them your budget to and i'm sure they will list the best options for ya.

Best of luck with it. Thinkin the same way myself. damn snow:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

Was thinking exactly the same thing this morning, plenty of choices out there, an old pajero or landrover, maybe even the dreaded freelander would be ok if only used for 3 months of the year. :D

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

bladespin wrote: »
    even the dreaded freelander would be ok if only used for 3 months of the year. :D

No. It's not a great car and has nil off road capabilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

racso1975 wrote: »
    Ya might want to try the 4x4 forum those lads over there really know their stuff.

Tell them your budget to and i'm sure they will list the best options for ya.

Best of luck with it. Thinkin the same way myself. damn snow:mad:

Cheers. Will try the 4x4 forum so. Wonder is it ok to repost this over there (don't want to be double posting)?

gbee wrote: »

Nil is a bit harsh, the ones with hill descent have their uses. The OP won't be using if off road anyway. If I was the OP I'd buy an AWD Subaru like a Forester or Legacy Outback and get different wheels for summer and winter if he is really in a remote spot.

• Advertisement

paulocon wrote: »
    Would probably only be using it for 3 months in winter and 3 months summer, would it be possible to work this into my existing insurance policy..

Most 4x4s are commercial, forget all bout those soft roaders masquerading as jeeps. You need a dedicated low range [exception for the new Land Cruiser but that's new].

I've a Nissan Terrano II, an absolute sh*te car but it's massive off road for light duties like snow and mud plugging with good M&S tyres, it'll out pull a Land Rover in mud Low Range but obviously it does not have the suspension for advanced off road like the Rover has.

For you this is exactly what you want, with fuel economy in it's class at up to 29MPG and I've never seen it lower than 24MPG in heavy off road mud plugging.

Older Pajero's are also impressive, Older Land Cruisers, select Suzuki models ~ avoid the Land Rover range entirely, the low end is too low and high end too much for your purposes.

The OP won't be going off road, he just wants some traction to get over icey and frozen roads.

In standard trim maybe not but it has 4wd and I'd definately fit some decent tyres, that would make it better than the majority of cars out there in the current conditions :D Hill descent is a mad thing, I'd recommend trying it.
    RoverJames wrote: »
    Nil is a bit harsh, the ones with hill descent have their uses. The OP won't be using if off road anyway. If I was the OP I'd buy an AWD Subaru like a Forester or Legacy Outback and get different wheels for summer and winter if he is really in a remote spot.
    Thumbsup to that, a forester overtook me on the motorway monday evening in heavy snow, I was in the clean lane toughing 40 mph, he was driving through about 4 ins of snow, insane driver I thought but couldn't but admire the ability of car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Winter tyres, Winter tyres, Winter tyres,
    Winter tyres, Winter tyres, Winter tyres

scratch that I was beaten to it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Hi all,

Having spent 2 weeks house-bound, I am seriously considering buying a jeep. We are situated a few miles off the main road and access both ways is via hills that have been impassable to cars.

I'm thinking of buying a 'run-around' jeep for the winter months so as I can get to/from work and get to the shops. Something very basic - not looking for any mod-cons.

Any advice on what I should get. I also do a bit of hill-walking so it would be useful for those excursions (tent, muddy boots etc thrown into the back).

Would probably only be using it for 3 months in winter and 3 months summer, would it be possible to work this into my existing insurance policy.

Sorry for the long-winded email..
    Just sell your current car and buy a Subaru Forester or Outback with a second set of wheels with good winter tyres. You'll never look back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

RoverJames wrote: »
    The OP won't be going off road, he just wants some traction to get over icey and frozen roads.

Was just about to post this.. Don't actually know what 'mud plugging' is.

I won't be going off road at all. Just need something to take me that few miles to/from the main road and to be able to get the kids to school.

When I mentioned hill-walking, again I don't go off-road and I don't go up mountainous areas this time of year - jeep would just be useful for the amount of crap we would bring on excursions (tents, stoves etc).

:D Hill descent is a mad thing, I'd recommend trying it..

Yes, first gear and my car/SUV will go down or up any icy hill. Does the Freelander have this?

Was just about to post this.. Don't actually know what 'mud plugging' is..

Ha Ha!!! ;)

Right, we get snow, it stays around. You buy a jeep and you drive through the snow and drifts and after a few days you are driving on compact snow and ice and you are driving inches over the road or even a foot if snow follows before a thaw.

Then one day a thaw comes, all this ice and snow turns to mud, unlike compacted ice and snow you now must plough THROUGH this mud, you cannot drive over it.

Moreso if the ground melts and softens too, you'll be digging down into the earth and through the muddy remnants of the winter ~ you're mud plugging.

Mud plugging is very challenging actually, it makes snow driving seem easy.

Thumbsup to that, a forester overtook me on the motorway monday evening in heavy snow,

Even Jeremy Clarkson was impressed by the Forrester. Certainly one to add to the list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Did you try the snow socks? Alot cheaper than running a 4x4 if they work for you.....

www.sligowhiplash.com - 2nd & 3rd Aug '25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

I doubt the op will have much benefit from snow chains, socks or winter tyres on a normal car.

Sounds like ground clearance will be equally as important as grip if only jeeps are travelling the roads leaving a high ridge in the centre, they'll end up wrecking the underside of the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

has nil off road capabilities.

Really??? Based on what?

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Velocitee

think I'll do this myself, except I'll be getting winter tyres too!

I'd 'save' my summer tyres for 3-4months of the year and could possibly get 2 years anyway out of the winters so 400 to 500 for a full set wouldn't cost a lot all things considered.

I would probably look at Nissan X-trail if I was getting 4X4, has a round selector for either 4WD/2WD/Auto, so keep it in 4WD through the winter, Auto in rain/ poor driving conditions (so cut in to save you) or 2WD for motorway/fuel saving. Not a complicated system at all (and no ugly drive selector ala extra gear stick like landcruiser)

2.2TDI before 2005 would be my preference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

I would recommend an pajero ,

we have both a pajero and a patrol and since the snowfall on top of ice are only vehicles able to travel our road since last tuesday

the pajero is used mainly for farm work with 400 kgs ballast added and 4 wd engaged has managed to travel some serious slopes and also has towed a number of cars , which got stuck or slipped off the road

snow tyres or socks on cars might be a help but would literally be a waste of time in this area for the last few days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I was driving a Freelander 1 2.0d commercial 4x4 in the snow earlier this year.

I didn't venture that far off the beaten track, but it coped with anything I put in it's way, including a couple of pretty steep, very ice inclines and declines every day. 4x4 got me up them no problem and the Hill Descent is fantastic for getting down them.

If it's cheap enough, a diesel 4x4 Freelander is worth a punt, as long as the 4x4 is working.

• Advertisement

Yes, first gear and my car/SUV will go down or up any icy hill. Does the Freelander have this?

Can you do that with your feet off the pedals? :eek:

Can you do that with your feet off the pedals? :eek:

Yes! Actually for it to work as designed one MUST trust the vehicle no feet on pedals ~ hard one to do actually, but I was out around Nad in January came to a steep decline and had a go myslef, I spun out.

Heart beating, hands shaking "do what the manual says who don't you!" so I did, first gear, no feet on pedal and the vehicle recovered and drove steadily downhill and up the other side.

If one engages the pedals the control is off, as long as the engine has enough torque and you, as the driver has the patients, it'll get you up any slope. :0

pippip wrote: »
    I doubt the op will have much benefit from snow chains, socks or winter tyres on a normal car.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat??

What is the world coming to when winter tyres arent the solution?! :D

Yes! Actually for it to work as designed one MUST trust the vehicle no feet on pedals ~ hard one to do actually, but I was out around Nad in January came to a steep decline and had a go myslef, I spun out.

Heart beating, hands shaking "do what the manual says who don't you!" so I did, first gear, no feet on pedal and the vehicle recovered and drove steadily downhill and up the other side.

If one engages the pedals the control is off, as long as the engine has enough torque and you, as the driver has the patients, it'll get you up any slope. :0

Yup, didn't realise the Nissan had it, seems like madness but brilliant fun.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat??

What is the world coming to when winter tyres arent the solution?! :D

Winter tyres will do nothing on your car if you are faced with a foot of snow, you'll only end up using your car as a snow plough!

Read the rest of the post and I explain that the road is more than likely been shaped by higher clearance vehicles.

Sometimes you just need a jeep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

if you want something cheap to run and thats handy in rough conditions that you want to only use the odd time why not consider a classic land rover ? Might not be as cheap to buy as others but will be cheap to run as a second car and you could have the added benefit of having a new hobby in the summer ( and meet some new nice folk at shows ), plus 0 depreciation

otherwise isn't the Suzuki sj410 handy in the rough - 1.3 would make it cheap enough to tax annually for 3 months so you know its there if you need it.

RobAMerc wrote: »
    otherwise isn't the Suzuki sj410 handy in the rough -

So handy in fact that it won all trialling competitions in Ireland and has spawned the Suzuki Clubs appearance so much so that they now have their own classification. :D

pippip wrote: »
    Winter tyres will do nothing on your car if you are faced with a foot of snow, you'll only end up using your car as a snow plough!

Read the rest of the post and I explain that the road is more than likely been shaped by higher clearance vehicles.

Sometimes you just need a jeep

I thought the :D was the give away that I was joking. Theres been mass hysteria about the winter tyres being the saviour on here of late.

I agree with you 4X4 sounds like the way forward for ya. No pun intended

I thought the :D was the give away that I was joking. Theres been mass hysteria about the winter tyres being the saviour on here of late.

I agree with you 4X4 sounds like the way forward for ya. No pun intended

Sorry that didn't click, bad head day on my part! :confused:
    Yeh some praise for them alright on boards.

• Advertisement
Advertisement