Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

snow socks for cars ?

Options
  • 09-12-2010 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Just been looking at weisssock snow socks and was wondering if anyone has ever used them. I've used snow tyres when I lived in the US but dont know anything about socks...so was wondering if there're worth the investment... I found them on micks garage.ie...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Geezer1000

Supposed to be great. Snows all gone now anyway:D

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Smokecloak

I saw the socks advertised too, and wondered how they,d work.They must do the job. And the snow will be back they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭bnear

More snow before Christmas I hear and its a long time til Spring, so maybe they're worth investing in.... I'm sure you'd get a few years out of them so might be worth the money.. I was hoping to hear from someone who had them because I heard they were very easy to steal, although I can't imagine how you'd get them off without moving the car, but what do I know !! So I'm going to hold off til I hear from someone who has them I think...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

bnear wrote: »
    More snow before Christmas I hear and its a long time til Spring, so maybe they're worth investing in.... I'm sure you'd get a few years out of them so might be worth the money.. I was hoping to hear from someone who had them because I heard they were very easy to steal, although I can't imagine how you'd get them off without moving the car, but what do I know !! So I'm going to hold off til I hear from someone who has them I think...:)

Haven't used them myself, but there is a lot of info in this thread in motors:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056079290

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭bnear

Thanks for that R.O.R. Had a look, changed my mind on the socks ! Snow tires are too expensive so looking at chains now !! Summer will be here before I decide !! But I'll get a headstart on next winter !! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭geespot

saw a fella put them on seemed esy enough but done a lot of spinning so dont know if they make any difference

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Raffo69

I heard a bit on the radio during the last cold spell about these snow sock things for the tyres. Think he was from AA roadwatch. He said that if you were to have an accident & had these fitted to your car without your insurance company knowing about them, that you may not be entitled to any insurance payout as technically they are a modification!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

as long as you dont do this:

snowchains.jpg

they should work well :p

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭not1but4

CMpunked wrote: »
    as long as you dont do this:

http://www.broadsheet.ie/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/snowchains.jpg

they should work well :p

Just to point out to other people the car is rear wheel drive and snow chains wreck the road surface.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 MMA_FAN

Check this out...!!! I totally agree with this guy, i bought a set of the socks and only have had them on for 3 days and have only travelled 40miles in total at a top speed of 15mph, they did the job top but aren't durable, as THE SAME HAPPENED TO MY SET....!!!! PS i live in Donegal....!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hatpiEjQIo

• Advertisement
Advertisement