Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Joao Silva

• 09-12-2010 1:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭

I don't think this has been posted before.
    It's a slide-show of the memory card pulled from Joao Silva's camera after he stepped on a land mine in Afghanistan.
    Amazingly he took 3 shots after losing his legs.

This slide show is taken from the memory card that was in Joao Silva’s camera on Oct. 23 when he stepped on an antipersonnel mine at Checkpoint 16, near the village of Deh-e Kuchay, Afghanistan. Mr. Silva, a contract photographer for The New York Times, and Carlotta Gall, a Times correspondent, were on patrol with a squad of 10 or 15 American soldiers and a unit of Afghan soldiers and police officers.

Mr. Silva lost both his legs in the explosion and suffered internal injuries. He is recovering at the Walter Reed Army Medical Center.

Joao Silva’s damaged equipment.
    The slides are arranged chronologically, with a gap between the last frame Mr. Silva shot before the mine blew up (Slide 11) and the three pictures he was able to take after the blast (Slide 13). There is no picture of the explosion.

The video clip at the end of the post shows Mr. Silva reviewing his pictures at Walter Reed with Ms. Gall, who wears a red jacket and is speaking with him over his right shoulder; Michele McNally, the director of photography at The Times, seated at his left; and his wife, Vivian, at his right side.

As Ms. Gall recalled in an article, “Troops Tread Lightly in an Afghan Village, Hoping to Clear Bombs and Win Support,” Mr. Silva was ahead of her on the morning of Oct. 23. He had just turned down a side alley and disappeared behind the wall of a ruined compound, following Pvt. Edwin Laplaunt, Sgt. Brian Maxwell and Sgt. Anton Waterman.

Ms. Gall remained on the road with Staff Sgt. Eric Elizey and a medic. There was an explosion. Black smoke rose over the compound. After a few moments of silence, someone called for a medic. The medic ran to the scene, following Sergeant Elizey’s instructions for safe passage. The sergeant then radioed for a medevac helicopter.

“Give me a name,” he shouted over the wall. “Give me a name!”

“It’s the photographer,” came back the reply.

Support Joao Silva Photojournalist has been set up by Greg and Leonie Marinovich, friends of Mr. Silva, to help him and his family as he goes through rehabilitation. Money is being raised through outright donations and the sale of prints by Mr. Silva.

http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/11/29/its-the-photographer/?scp=3&sq=Joao%20Silva&st=cse

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭kcphoto

Thanks for posting that link -very interesting. I am currently about half way through the book "The Bang-Bang club" about Joao Silva and his fellow photographers and it's an amazing read.

Advertisement