Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So who are you currently banking with?

• 09-12-2010 2:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

So who are you currently banking with? and have you moved from one to the another recently?

I moved over a year ago from boi to Ulster bank,after paying back what i owed to boi about 3k they closed down my accounts and told me to start a relationship with a new bank.

Who are you banking with? 283 votes

Ulster
    0% 0 votes
    BOI
    18% 52 votes
    AIB
    34% 98 votes
    Permanent TSB
    34% 98 votes
    Other
    12% 35 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

drdeadlift wrote: »
    So who are you currently banking with? and have you moved from one to the another recently?

I moved over a year ago from boi to Ulster bank,after paying back what i owed to boi about 3k they closed down my accounts and told me to start a relationship with a new bank.

Why did your bank break-up with you?? Never heard of this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

So, what you're saying is....the bank broke it off with you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

AIB. Been with them since i was about 16 and can't be arsed changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭godscop

alwaysadub wrote: »
    Swiss bank account...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

yermandan wrote: »
    Why did your bank break-up with you?? Never heard of this

I didnt give her money back quick enough,i paid them back in full.Funny as so many of my friends owed them so much and they dont have any problems.
    I was seeing ****ing red!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Ulster for Current account.

AIB for Credit card.

Obtain most of my loans etc from credit union.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

alwaysadub wrote: »

i was going to say the very same thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

PTSB and havent had a problem ever with them. Wouldnt piss on AIB or BOI if they begged me haha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

Where's the "I don't bank" option?

I will choose other. Don't have any bank accounts anymore. It is wonderful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Ulster and they're brutal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Was with AIB but moved most of my money out of there last month. If they can't manage their own then there is no way I am letting them manage mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

my main account is AIB :( and has been since i was 18. i opened up an account in UB back in 06 because i wanted rid of AIB then... but they wouldn't give me a credit card, so i kept my AIB account open only because i had a credit card with them.
    think i'm going to close my account in AIB in the new year regardless now. you can get prepaid credit cards these days anyway..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

JaxxYChicK wrote: »

haha that's awesome. sure who needs a bank when we're all broke anyway? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

I was a week late on a €30 repayment to AIB and they sent me a solicitors letter so I went mental over it. Still repaying but they closed my bank account since without telling me. I just noticed I didn't have internet access one day. Still paying them off and I'll just leave it at that. Once that is done with I will never darken those bastárds door again. They were unbelievably bad to deal with and it was only a small student loan. Ulster have been brilliant to deal with and the loan is the same size.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

I had a 3 year loan of €7,000 missed one payment and BoI gave me a bad credit rating. I shut down my account immediately and moved to NIB. Opened my account and within less than a week I had a loan for €10,800

BoI also wouldn't give my OH a laser card because her payments into her account were too sporadic. She works 2 jobs, one taxed, one not. Avg month is ~€2,000 - never less than €1,500 and they refused.

Joke of a Bank

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

How do you get paid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I had a 3 year loan of €7,000 missed one payment and BoI gave me a bad credit rating. I shut down my account immediately and moved to NIB. Opened my account and within less than a week I had a loan for €10,800

BoI also wouldn't give my OH a laser card because her payments into her account were too sporadic. She works 2 jobs, one taxed, one not. Avg month is ~€2,000 - never less than €1,500 and they refused.

Joke of a Bank

So when the banks were under cautious about lending it fecked the country over but when they're over cautious they're also a joke?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Ulster, these days.

I started out on BOI when I first came to Ireland 8 years ago, and from the start just couldn't believe the crap service, but was told that this was the norm for Irish banks.
    When they finally went and transferred my money without authorisation, I decided enough was enough and gave Halifax a try.

I loved them, I truely did. Best bank I was ever with in my life. And then they had to up and leave and stop business in Ireland, it left me deriously distressed.
    Ulster is now the next best thing. Not as good as Halifax was, but at least acceptable and reasonable.

Nobody here could pay me enough money to ever go back to BOI, though, I can tell you that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Poll should be multiple choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

spankwire...........

Oh, Banking!!!:o

AIB:mad:

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »
    So when the banks were under cautious about lending it fecked the country over but when they're over cautious they're also a joke?

I do think there's a difference between talking unemployed people into 110% mortgages and going postal over one late payment of an otherwise good customer.

Mind you, BOI seemed to be quite happy to do both, even during the boom years.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    How do you get paid?

I work for An Post and get paid via PostPay. I can call into any post office with my work card, they swipe it and hand over me monies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Have a number of accounts spread over various banks.

Shenshen wrote: »
    Ulster, these days.

I started out on BOI when I first came to Ireland 8 years ago, and from the start just couldn't believe the crap service, but was told that this was the norm for Irish banks.
    When they finally went and transferred my money without authorisation, I decided enough was enough and gave Halifax a try.

I loved them, I truely did. Best bank I was ever with in my life. And then they had to up and leave and stop business in Ireland, it left me deriously distressed.
    Ulster is now the next best thing. Not as good as Halifax was, but at least acceptable and reasonable.

Nobody here could pay me enough money to ever go back to BOI, though, I can tell you that.

Well now i wouldn't be getting too stressed about the choice,but boi are well behind the rest.I guess we have ourselves to blame for them carrying on like this,what would happen if everyone switched from boi to ulster overnight?

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭ismiseuisce

BOI. I have an AIB account also but I don't use it.

I went on a trip across Europe after my first year of college and I put all of my money into my AIB account before I left. When I arrived in Paris, I tried to take out money and my card wouldn't work. I rang AIB and they didn't care at all.

I know there probably wasn't much they could do but their customer care person was so rude to me. I was an 18 year old alone in France with no money and they didn't give a f*ck. I haven't used that account since then.

BOI have been pretty sound to me with loans and overdrafts when I have needed them so far. Mind you, I am a student with a steady income from my grant so I suppose they don't have to worry much about me not being able to repay.

I usually just use those facilities when Mayo co. co. decide to not pay my grant on time and I'm left in financial limb waiting on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

anglo, they have been great to me, loans of any amount at any time, no questions asked ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

PTSB and havent had a problem ever with them. Wouldnt piss on AIB or BOI if they begged me haha

They still pissed on you though:pac: (and the rest of us):(

Well now i wouldn't be getting too stressed about the choice,but boi are well behind the rest.I guess we have ourselves to blame for them carrying on like this,what would happen if everyone switched from boi to ulster overnight?

They would all have unproblematic access to phone and online banking (no messing about with waiting for a letter to be sent to you before they allow you to tranfer money and the like) and would be able to go to their bank on a Saturday morning, rather than taking half a day off for the privilege.

Yes, BOI is so bad because customers allowed them to be, certainly. I've often wondered about that, though. People know it's sh*te, but can't be arsed to switch??? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭Immaculata

I used to be with AIB. And boy, do I regret it.

Their service was crap but it was too much hassle to change banks. Several years ago, I rang them before I went backpacking to let them know that I was going and to tell them my itinerary, so they wouldn't freak out at my credit card and cash card being used in various countries. But obviously they didn't make a note on my file and cut me off at various times and it took a lot of expensive long distance phone calls to sort it. Eventually, when I was in Istanbul, towards the end of my trip, they did it again and I didn't have any cash on hand that time. If it wasn't for a kindly fellow backpacker, I would have been in big trouble with no money for essential meds. When I got back to Ireland, I closed my account. In fact, I slammed it shut.

They then wrote to me years later and told me that they'd messed up and overcharged me for some currency transactions; what was my current bank account number so they could refund me? They then took money out of my new bank account (!) instead of putting it in! Eventually I got it all sorted out but frankly, even BoI, who aren't exactly paragons of efficiency themselves, are better than AIB, which is like saying being poked in the eye by a twig is better than being poked in the eye by a branch.

Not that I'm bitter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

NIB....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32 lightpipe

I was with the halifax while they were here, very pleased with them. changed to the ennis rd AIB in limerick when halifax left, absolutely diabolical ! I transferred over 60K to them & for 6 days they couldn't tell me my account balance or allow me to make any transactions. They had between 40 & 60K for 6 months, paid me zero interest then had the neck to charge me bank charges after assuring me they wouldn't. Accounts now closed & with permanent tsb, so far so good ....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

So how do you get paid for the News of the World column?

So how do you get paid for the News of the World column?

Coke and hookers is the new currency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

I Dont Know What A Tracker Mortgage Is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

AIB atm. Changing probably to ulster. Should have long ago but today was the proverbial straw etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Bank of Ireland and postfinance.
    At least my swiss money is safe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I work for An Post and get paid via PostPay. I can call into any post office with my work card, they swipe it and hand over me monies.

That's handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Been with Permanent TSB since I was about 11. Never had as much as a minute's problem with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭darsar

I'm with BOI and would be long gone only for the fact(s)

I owe them a fortune and it's too much hassle changing direct debits

I get paid 2 days before alot of my collegues because my employers are BOI

It's very handy in my too most local branches to get parking.

BUT

I opened up a PTSB two months ago for the visa debit card so I will be changing everything to PTSB when I motivate myself.

Last month just gone, my employers were two days late with wages. I missed my personal loan repayment. I went to the bank and lodged it the day I got paid(two days late). Next day I got a letter in post saying I missed payment etc . Got the same letter two days later and them got a phone call the same day saying I hadn't paid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Sparkyd2002

permanenttsb - never any issues.Although i was impressed recently when i was able to open a deposit account online in 3 clicks. Then unimpressed when 1 week later got a letter to my home address from them, (using an address they obviously had as i was an existing customer.You have to be to open the new account online) looking for id and proof of address signed by guard or solicitor etc. or call to the branch to get the docs stamped ) I laughed out loud that they sent a letter to my address which they obviously had on their system asking for proof of address, as for the id thing, Id taken out a mortgage with them 4 years previously so i was damn sure they had all that. That said that was the only issue/silly buggers moment ive had with them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

SV wrote: »
    Ulster and they're brutal.

I bank with them and you have to be very careful. I rarely go into a branch but when I do they always mess up my request. Last time, I was served by a man in his early 30s. I was getting a draft for €900 and whilst filling it out, he wouldnt stop trying to offer me different financial services (savings accounts etc). On handing me the final draft I double checked it, as I always do, only to notice that he had the amount in writing in as 9 euro only and 900 as the amount in digits.

The female cashier felt the need to wink at me the time before as I said goodbye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

PTSB since my first job years ago,no hassle with them,online/phone banking is perfect too,only minor criticism is that they closed down my local branch in Clondalkin Village and moved down to the Liffey Valley Centre which is a bit of a pain in the hole when you want to lodge a cheque etc.

Looking forward to getting my new Visa debit card soon aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Could the OP please change the word "banking" in the title to "gambling"? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I set up a student account with BOI when they visited in secondary school but about 2/3 years ago I set up an account with AIB and it's doing me grand it's handy to pay the bills and getting paid into, to be honest I keep most of my money/savings in the credit union.

bonerm wrote: »
    Could the OP please change the word "banking" in the title to "gambling"? Thanks.

eh no

ulster, i think they are great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Am i the only one who actually still likes their bank?:confused:Ive been with Bank of Ireland since i was 17. I find Banking 365 really good and anytime i have to ring them with a query theyve been sound and sorted it asap. Anytime ive applied for a top up loan theyve given it to me and they were one of only 3 banks who would give me a mortgage on my wage in '07. Lost my laser card a few weeks ago and had a new one 2 days later (granted they charged me but it still). No complaints with their service in 14 years for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭some_dose

I'm with Permanent TSB and I think they are excellent.

Got my ATM card skimmed a few years ago and 800 quid taken from my account. I got a call from them saying what happened. So I went in and the bank manager himself sat me down and went through what I had to do (go to the guards). After the cow of a bean garda in the station wouldn't help me, I went back to the bank. The bank manager got on the phone immediately and sorted it all out for me and even gave me an overdraft facility while they tried to retrieve the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

PTSB, offered me interest on current a/c, was able setup savings account online then with decent interest rate, online banking works well, their people on phone tend be very helpful and polite. I dont have substantial savings, but for my age id be one of better savers, and i feel bit more rewarded than i ever did with aib or boi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I've been with BOI for 11 years. Have had two loans. Both of which I made my payments with no problem and actually paid off before the end of the terms. For 7 of my years I had a small overdraft. I only went into it once and was out of it within a few days.

I them applied for an extension on my overdraft and was turned down with no explanation. To this day I have no reason why. I would have thought my credit couldn't be better but apparently not.

I have contemplated going to PTSB

• Advertisement
Advertisement