Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB supply cable moved. Size of meter tails?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

-there's a note regarding 16sq T+E-(the bare earth meets the requirement for domestic)
    That is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭GreySquirrel

M cebee wrote: »
    if you ran 16sq singles the MPC would have to be 16 as well

-there's a note regarding 16sq T+E-(the bare earth meets the requirement for domestic)

OK, I see the note.

The cut-out is to the right of the meter and the main protective conductor is on the right side of the cut out. If I use T&E I would have to strip about 6 inches maybe more to connect brown and blue to the meter and route the bare earth around the cut-out.

It would probably be easier to use singles, unless the new rules specify T&E.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

OK, I see the note.

The cut-out is to the right of the meter and the main protective conductor is on the right side of the cut out. If I use T&E I would have to strip about 6 inches maybe more to connect brown and blue to the meter and route the bare earth around the cut-out.

It would probably be easier to use singles, unless the new rules specify T&E.

have you ever done this before?:)

is this an old meter?is it sealed?

have you ever done this before?:)

is this an old meter?is it sealed?

See first post.

The guys who came out from the ESB a few years ago put in a new meter and I think a new cut-out. (Inside in the hall)

The cut-out is sealed except for the MPC terminal.

The meter incorporates an isolater. The meter part of the meter is sealed. There is a cover over the isolator. That cover is not sealed.

I've moved the tails before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Is the isolater operated by a special key which only the ESB and contractors should have?

• Advertisement

Haddockman wrote: »
    Is the isolater operated by a special key which only the ESB and contractors should have?

Nope, it looks like a very small cooker switch. The cover just screws off.

The phase and neutral from the cut-out are singles, insulated brown and blue. No outer grey sheaths.

I have to put some new book cases together, so I'll check back in this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Haddockman wrote: »

Sounds like the iskra meter with red isolator incorporated into the meter to the right of the outgoing tails so contractor makes the connection.

After they change the poles, they will probably just check for polarity and voltage

Davy wrote: »
    Sounds like the iskra meter with red isolator incorporated into the meter to the right of the outgoing tails so contractor makes the connection.

After they change the poles, they will probably just check for polarity and voltage

I'll have a look at the meter tomorrow, friday, and see are there any trade marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I see that the ESB will be changing its name to Electric Ireland.

Just the companies that sell electricity, its 'customer supply' at the minute. Esb networks and international arent changing. So really the only change will be header on the bill you get

• Advertisement

Just the companies that sell electricity, its 'customer supply' at the minute. Esb networks and international arent changing. So really the only change will be header on the bill you get

and something like €8 million to re-brand. and it's in the IMF deal that if the semi-states are sold off, the sale price has to go to paying off the bail-out, er sorry Brians, the loan.

I'll have a look at the meter tomorrow, friday, and see are there any trade marks.

Have not looked at the meter yet. My carpet and bookcases are set up, trunking for my extended ring looks very neat (there's another thread on the extended ring)

My new rules, 4th edition are in the post, I might have them on Monday.

It is an ISKRA meter 2006.

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Yes 7mm for the 16 square. around 5mm for the 10 square.
    Best way to measure is put the tape at the side of the cable, use the 100mm mark as your zero, as the end piece of tapes is always loose and not great for small mm measurements like that.

The Main Protective Conductor is 5mm in diameter so that should be 10 mm^2.

I can't measure properly the phase and neutral, they seem to be slightly bigger than 5 mm diameter.

Ok, a huge coincidence.

The ESB called today. The're putting in new metal poles on the road and the power will be off on Monday.

Then they are calling to each house to pull the fuse and "run some tests".

So I should be able to put in new meter tails safely or "persuade" them to do it for me.

OK, the ESB men were on the road today. The power was back before 3.00 pm.

They were supposed to call at 4.00 pm to do some tests but never turned up.

if you ran 16sq singles the MPC would have to be 16 as well

16sq t&e has a 6sq cpc. Would that not be smaller than the earthing conductor and main bonding conductor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

16sq t&e has a 6sq cpc. Would that not be smaller than the earthing conductor and main bonding conductor?

It has a 10sq earth i would of thought

robbie7730 wrote: »
    It has a 10sq earth i would of thought

So did I. Looked at some brands and it 16/6. Prysmian and another one.

Still looking at 16 square and it's all 16/6. Perhaps 16/10 is now special order?

Trying to use the equation in the rules. Not getting very far.

you're overthinking:pac:-it's either 16sq t+e or a separate 16sq single cpc for basic 12kva tails according to the rules

i would be amazed if 16sq t+e has a 6sq earth

• Advertisement

you're overthinking:pac:-it's either 16sq t+e or a separate 16sq single cpc for basic 12kva tails according to the rules

I would be amazed if 16sq t+e has a 6sq earth

Overthinking, that's me alright.

My new Rules have arrived, I'd put them under the tree except I have no tree. Snow.

http://www.prysmian.co.uk/export/sites/prysmian-enGB/attach/pdf/6241Y.pdf

The ESB wired up one new pole. There's at least one more to do. It was snowing heavily that day.

They cut half of the old wooden one down. Wife won't let me take it. :(

i'm too lazy to go bak out to van and check it

don't know how it could be a 6sq cpc-or even how it could be allowed

• Registered Users Posts: 5 M_D_88

How did this big job ever fair out?

Advertisement