Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Overclocking confusion

• 09-12-2010 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

My machine consists of an E2160 dual core, 8GB of DDR2 RAM and a 512MB 4870..which is a bit unbalanced I'd imagine :o

My motherboard is an Asus P5K.

Have arranged to buy a Q660 quad core second hand tomorrow so that should even things up a bit hopefully.

I had the CPU overclocked from 1.8 to 2.7 until I updated the BIOS the other week. It seemed to reset my settings when I did that and changed how things look in the BIOS.

Now I'm not sure how to go about overclocking (I'm not that experienced with it)

I use CPU-Z and when I was OC-ing before I noticed that the core speed was 1.8 mostly, shooting up to 2.7 when a program was opening or work was being done. I assume this was correct behaviour?

Anyway, now the core speed is around 1300mhz, shooting up to around 1900mhz when stuff is happening. The multiplier is typically x6 but changes to x9 when the core speed changes. Is that normal? Since the E2160 is rated at 1.8ghz shouldn't it never dip below that number?

So what I'd like to know is how to overclock using the updated BIOS. I forget what I changed before the BIOS update but Im pretty sure the same option(s) aren't there now.

I'm attaching screenshots of my BIOS menus and from CPU-Z

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Thats a powersaving feature called EIST (Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology) dropping the multiplier on Your cpu when idle, it ramps back up whenever its needed. I usually disable it in the bios as it can cause problems when overclocking to the max, but if it runs fine for You with it, I'd leave it alone

Edit, speedstep is in the bios 1 pic, the setting at the bottom.
    Get the quad in there and I'll talk You through it, I've a similar board and had a P5K before this and am very familiar with that bios. Gonna need a decent cooler for that quad, they're lots hotter than dual cores

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

Thanks for the reply, that's useful. I tried disabling the speedstep feature but it's still showing x6 in CPU-Z when not doing anything though..strange.

The good news is that I tried changing the FSB frequency in "bios6" from 215 to 300mhz and now the core speed changes from 1800mhz to 2700mhx in CPU-Z when it's up to something. This is what should be happening I assume?

I noticed the speed of my memory has increased too, does that happen when the cpu is OC'd?

When I get the q6600 I'll post here again, thanks for the help. Was thinking about getting an Arctic cooling freezer 7 pro if possible, think that would be suitable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Den_M wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, that's useful. I tried disabling the speedstep feature but it's still showing x6 in CPU-Z when not doing anything though..strange.

Sorry, disable c1e support also
    I noticed the speed of my memory has increased too, does that happen when the cpu is OC'd?

Yes, You're going to have to be careful that You don't try running Your memory faster than it will actually run or You'll get a failed overclock when booting. Leaving things on auto is fine for a small overclock, but Dram frequency will have to be taken off auto and set to something near what Your ram is rated at and the timings will need to be set manually if You want to try a bigger overclock. Cpu and dram voltages would also need to be taken off auto for a decent oc.
    What Ram have You got? Having 8Gb will hold back Your overclock, mine does 4Ghz+ fine with 4Gb of ram but I can only get stable at 3.8Ghz with 8Gb
    When I get the q6600 I'll post here again, thanks for the help. Was thinking about getting an Arctic cooling freezer 7 pro if possible, think that would be suitable?

No, its an ok cooler but it has only a 92mm fan, its worth getting something better for a quad, with a 120mm fan (if Your case will take it). I have a Tuniq tower in another pc, amazing cooler but its absolutely massive (note: it comes with a backplate that means removing the mobo from the case). Make sure whatever You get fits in Your case before you buy.
    Is that q6600 a "g0", these run cooler and overclock easier than other ones. Most will do 3.2Ghz before needing any extra voltage

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Look out for the Coolermaster Hyper 212+ and Xigmatek S1283 variants like the Gaia and Red Scorpion as they're quiet, very effective at shifting heat, and only cost €24-33 + shipping, which is dirt-cheap for a decent 120mm cooler. If you can't fit one don't count out the Arctic Freezer 7 Rev2 - it may only be a 92mm cooler but its one of the most powerful coolers available for its size class, and cheap and quiet to boot. It'll be warmer than a Hyper 212+ or Gaia and you might not be able to achieve very high OCs stably on a fairly hot quad but its still very capable outside of extreme-heat situations (IIRC in one old review it stopped an overvolted QX9650 running at ~3.7GHz from throttling - many 120mm coolers failed to do so!).

Advertisement