Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat Teeth Cleaning

• 09-12-2010 3:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭

Hi,

At my last visit to the vet, it was recommended that my cat have his teeth cleaned. So I am just wondering

-has anyone had this done for thier cat
    -what was the cost of it in the vets practice
    - how long afterwards before they return to their aloof selves?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭dvet

Hi Dixie Chick,

Teeth cleaning is a pretty routine procedure that most vets do regularly. It requires a general anaesthetic, but this is usually not a problem (although it is a bit more risky in older pets). Because of the anaesthetic your cat might be a bit groggy in the evening when you pick him up, but he should be running around like normal (or aloof like normal as you say!) the next day :)
    It's well worth doing as the vet will remove built up tartar from your cat's teeth as well as removing any loose teeth which could be causing him pain. As well as helping with gum disease, it also decreases the risk of heart disease and infections, as it stops bacteria from spreading from the mouth into the bloodstream. So it's well worth doing!
    If you have any worries about it at all, your vet should be able to put your mind at ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I have seen cats go from grumpy old grumbling monsters to the friendliest cats in the world because of dentals. You'd be amazed at how different a cat's behaviour can be changed when they are in pain from a loose tooth, sure imagine yourself if you had a toothache for ages that that you could do nothing about! :D

If done in the morning, they are usually sleepy that evening and back to their normal selves the next day.

How old is your cat? If he is an older cat, your vet will probably suggest it themselves but if not ask for a blood test to be done to make sure his kidneys are healthy enough for the GA.

Usually what they do is check for any loose teeth, remove these loose teeth. They then do a descale which basically scraps off all the tartar. The teeth are then polished to remove any microscopic scratches. Depending on how bad the teeth are it usually takes less than an hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

Thanks so much for the reassurance. I will ring the vets and book him in as it was recommended a small while back. Ive no idea what age he is, he was a stray I inherited when I moved house. Im guessing he is 5+ years anyway.

Advertisement