Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Return to cold next week - Potentially Severe

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

I just got stuck on a hill in Wexford, roads are horrendous..... :eek:

father tried pulling car with 4X4, he got stuck, got tractor - tractor sliding down hill...

my car stopped with handbrake on and still sliding down hill :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

These pics were only taken yesterday evening :eek:

Hills that have snow or ice on them at the moment are just bad, bad, bad...

I saw a car slide on the hill here when it was parked, luckily it stopped before hitting anything and today I went out in the car, outside of the driveway on the road and the car didn't want to go anywhere without skidding so I managed to get it back in the driveway....

Between ice and black ice it is bad...

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

Anyone on here from N.I or at least North of Dublin.
    Travelling there tomorrow and wondering are the roads improved??

Roads in this area are now clear of snow. I'm in Fermanagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

Harps wrote: »
    Yes, we've got the Atlantic right on our doorstep while Britain is surrounded by other countries for the most part.

The Atlantic is very unpredictable but I'd still like Met Eireann to be more decisive with their forecasts as on this occasion both Ireland and Britain will be getting the same weather yet the two forecasts were totally different

Thanks. btw have a look at these pics in the Meath forum:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055783470&page=6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

GFS has -10 850 temps for the whole country (bar valentia;) as early as thursday:

gfs-1-102.png?12

anyone notice how they have -2 850's forecasted for ALGERIA??? seems a little bit cool for them . .:P

....and there won't be snow in Africa this Christmas, that song spreads lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    The rain forecast on the 6.1 was for thursay which was always forecast, nobody ever said it would be snow. Whats the problem?:confused:

To qoute Siobhan:

"Later in the week from Thursday onwards we see a breakdown in the weather... from Friday turns bitterly cold... 'outbreaks of rain' on graphics"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭mojopolo

TheFairy wrote: »
    Roads in this area are now clear of snow. I'm in Fermanagh.
    Belfast roads are clear -no snow left from last week at all (apart from the remnant of my snowman!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Anyone on here from N.I or at least North of Dublin.
    Travelling there tomorrow and wondering are the roads improved??

Well most if not all of the snow has gone only some lying snow in north facing hills and valleys that's the good news, You are probably heading up through Newry or on the N2, the roads round Cavan are terrible icy stretches on nearly all routes as the council are low or more or less out of salt. It has been horrendous driving round county Cavan all weekend but all roads in the north along the border are clear. Hope this helps you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

I watched the week forecast on BBC 1 this evening and they gave a warning of a very severe cold spell with snow, they showed snow coming down from the North in very strong winds and lots of snow coming into Northern and Western parts of Ireland, way ahead of RTE with rain showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Guys thanks for all the info re roads in N.I
    Sounds like they are mostly ok

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Kippure wrote: »

Many thanks, Kippure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭boardgirl

boardgirl wrote: »
    Hi Lads, Just lookng for a bit of advice on travel plans during this winter storm. I'm getting a filight from Shnnon at 16.30 on Friday the 17th and returning at 14.30 on Monday the 20th from CDG.. What do you think the chances are of airport closures/delays? I understand it's difficult to predict this far out but any help would be much appreciated as I need to book accomodation soon and it's non refundable.:o thanks!

any advice at all?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭greenpeter

Min wrote: »
    ....and there won't be snow in Africa this Christmas, that song spreads lies.

I would think they have as much chance as cork:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Too early to know but theres definitely a real chance of snow in Shannon on Friday. Cant really help you more than that for the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

1) Don't go if you can avoid it.

2) Do go but get travel insurance - make sure it covers closures due to acts of God.

3) Chance it.

Three options and roll the dice. It is looking likelier and likelier that we're in for s snow fall, the airports are usually ok, but the surrounding roads are the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

To be honest it's just too early to say. Check back in a couple of days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Time is moving sooooo slowly. I want confirmation!

Untitled-1.png

From what I've read T96 outward is FI (Fantasy Island). What about T96 itself? How reliable is the chart above looking?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Kippures link now has countryfiles forecast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA0IebfBCn0

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

1) Don't go if you can avoid it.

2) Do go but get travel insurance - make sure it covers closures due to acts of God.

3) Chance it.

Three options and roll the dice. It is looking likelier and likelier that we're in for s snow fall, the airports are usually ok, but the surrounding roads are the problem.

Good advice there, be prepared to stay in an aiport hotel on your return. Last January I was diverted to Belfast as Dub airport closed due to snow. We got bussed down from Belfast at midnight on icy roads which was not fun. More recently, similar situation again, flight home was delayed and landed at Dublin after midnight. No way I was driving anywhere at that hour with freezing conditions, so another stay at Bewleys hotel!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭boardgirl

thanks lads-one more question do you know any travel insurance that covers acts of god?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Not sure boardgirl you would need to read the fine print of your insurance.
    Someone told me that if you crash your car in the icy weather you are not covered either, not sure if this is true or not though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,514 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I continue to look at the situation this way (after reviewing 12z runs) ... the basic picture is that very cold air arrives very rapidly on Thursday, settles in for several if not many days, and a frontal battleground develops to the south of Ireland. At this stage, can't ask for much more than that if you're a snow fancier. The details are bound to be murky for several days yet.

I noticed the BOM model getting a boost earlier, it happens that the GEM (Cdn) model is also showing a winter storm at day 6. The GFS is moderately positive for snow, the ECM has the strangest looking evolution that would be good for snow if shifted perhaps more realistically to a southwest track for the energy, and the UKMO has the best setup for continuing cold.

Having in the back of my mind this energy peak for 20-21 Dec, I believe this could all fall into place with the cold air locked in, then a storm tries to push back from a position near 50N 20W, somewhat similar to last year's full moon end of December storm (the dates shift forward by ten days a year with lunar analogues). If you recall, that storm pushed mild air into the south, gave a heavy rainfall, then backed off and the precip turned to sleet and then snow before much colder air returned. This time around, we seem to have deeper cold air in place before the event. This is why I figure it could turn into a snowstorm if there are similar dynamics.

Dealing with the more certain forecast first, though, we need to stress that cold and locally heavy snow will arrive very rapidly Thursday, and wintry weather will become a problem for the north as early as mid-day Thursday -- will be considering an alert for the Monday morning forecast here, as we have plenty of time, but on the current model consensus, could see 5-10 cm snowfalls in parts of Ulster and inland Connacht on Thursday. This is basically a Greenland express coming down the line on 30-50 mph winds (the remnant of 50-70 mph winds further north around Jan Mayen). The speed of development is truly staggering with this -- far to the north, conditions change within 24 hours from almost calm to hurricane force winds as the gradient suddenly increases. The Greenland high reaches values into the 1075 mb range with a 980 mb low not that far away west of Svalbard. This is a huge pressure differential and will accelerate the southward charge of arctic air.

The thing that looks wonky to me on the models is how this low transfers west so effortlessly when the evolution seems to call for low pressure formation in the North Sea. I'm wondering if the missing link is that pressures may rise faster from northwest Russia across Norway late in the week and clamp down on the whole complex of low pressure -- watch for that tendency in later model runs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

I'm due to go from Balinteer Dublin to Ballina Mayo on Friday evening after work for my mums retirement do. Obviously I won't drive if the weather is as predicted but if these winds are as high as promised and the snowfall is rapid does anyone know whether the trains are likely to be running?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 davidsmith

thanks lads-one more question do you know any travel insurance that covers acts of god?

Hi,

You may find a few companies that do.
    Some exclude it as it is a known event however.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

davidsmith wrote: »
    Hi,

You may find a few companies that do.
    Some exclude it as it is a known event however.

You can tell the insurance company you watched the rte weather on sunday and it showed rain:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fulhamfanincork

In a quick summary for a simpleton like myself, could you please tell me if it is likely that it will snow or be extremley cold in Cork?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

In a quick summary for a simpleton like myself, could you please tell me if it is likely that it will snow or be extremley cold in Cork?

Cheers.

Cork will be mild. It never snows in Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Lads being honest here, there is not point in asking is it going to snow here and there, nobody can answer that question yet, if you come back mid week im sure you will get a better answer

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

heres one for the brains here.

i see that the snow is feeling hard of coming on land, seams to split around scotland and ireland,

will the snow push inland or will it stay on the coasts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

I think, if it hits with the intensity that we are seeing now it will travel far inland. That is open to alot of change between now and then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Some of the streamers from the East Coast made it all the way acros the country so if its got enough intensity it should make north Leinster and possibly further

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement