Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Return to cold next week - Potentially Severe

Options

Comments

Very snowy charts those but they are extreme FI and look over cooked to me.
    Anything beyond 120hrs is FI
    In the present potential,beyond T96 is pushing it a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭roryc1

The real cold looks to start this day weekecmt850.168.png

This chart is just mad, are own little bit of the arcticnpsh500.192.png

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭goodies

hello all...I wonder can somebody decode the purple colour in the centre of these maps for me in english please?

On a side note...dashed into town today and am proudly breaking in last pair of snow boots for ladies as I type....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭roryc1

Snow is to hard to call even at t48, but all the models are showing some real cold coming in around a week and they have been showing this for a while,

I don't think 120-144hrs is extreme for picking out a trend, but to call snow your are dam right its way to early

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

The colours represent the upper air temp (about a mile up), the purple represents very cold air temps (the darker the colder).

• Advertisement

goodies wrote: »
    hello all...I wonder can somebody decode the purple colour in the centre of these maps for me in english please?

On a side note...dashed into town today and am proudly breaking in last pair of snow boots for ladies as I type....

http://weatherfaqs.org.uk/node/152

Have a good read of that.
    The colours relate to how cold the air is in those charts.
    The link should explain to you how to interpret the values,the colours and what it means in terms of snow capability if any.

thank you for those links...I had gathered that the purple implied very cold but I suppose what I was trying to ask is the million dollar question of how cold????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

So Dublin looks like it will get none or very little of this snow???

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

goodies wrote: »
    thank you for those links...I had gathered that the purple implied very cold but I suppose what I was trying to ask is the million dollar question of how cold????

At least -15c but that is not representative of how cold it is on the ground. They are very long range so dont rely on it too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Ok have the family told now that snowmaggadon is coming, the rollercoaster has been built :pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Gerry nearly got a noseblood when he blurted out the word 'severe'

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭gerrycorrigan

What does 'FI' mean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

WolfeIRE wrote: »

I could make a pun regarding another gerry here, but i dont wnat to go to hell so i'm not going to. :pac:

So Dublin looks like it will get none or very little of this snow???
    I wouldn't say that.
    All we can say is it's looking likely that a severe cold is coming,that it's a northerly or a variant of it.
    Precipitation is an unknown quantity at this point.
    Weather features like cold fronts,shower toughs,polar lows could develop in that flow and travel south.
    They do have the potential to affect Dublin as they and if they occur.
    But obviously whilst the wind remains north or north west...then Ulster/North Connaught gets full on whack.

It's a different story if during the presence of this intense cold air the winds at any time veer NNE or NE.Then you will have shower activity in Dublin that would make last week pale in comparison in my opinion.

Do understand that those kind of details cannot be determined untill next wenesday at the earliest and probably friday.
    So my advice is to stay tuned to this forum,read posts by the people who usually explain things and read Mt Craniums updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

I wouldn't say that.
    All we can say is it's looking likely that a severe cold is coming,that it's a northerly or a variant of it.
    Precipitation is an unknown quantity at this point.
    Weather features like cold fronts,shower toughs,polar lows could develop in that flow and travel south.
    They do have the potential to affect Dublin as they and if they occur.
    But obviously whilst the wind remains north or north west...then Ulster/North Connaught gets full on whack.

It's a different story if during the presence of this intense cold air the winds at any time veer NNE or NE.Then you will have shower activity in Dublin that would make last week pale in comparison in my opinion.

Do understand that those kind of details cannot be determined untill next wenesday at the earliest and probably friday.
    So my advise is to stay tuned to this forum,read posts by the people who usually explain things and read Mt Craniums updates.

Wednesday:D

So my advice is to stay tuned to this forum,read posts by the people who usually explain things and read Mt Craniums updates.

So here will be my new telly then..I know there are terrible implications for people but I can't help feeling quite excited about all of this and feeling really insignificant in terms of mother nature. Excellent too to have the few days to get ready as much as you can for having to be inside for a few days...

What does 'FI' mean
    FANTASY ISLAND
    It's a term used by amateur model watchers to describe the period beyond which the weather the model describes is not reliable as there are too many unknowns and guess's as opposed to real data gone into them at that stage.

So when you read us saying FI is T-96 and beyond we mean,that any forecast chart produced for any time more than 96 hrs beyond the starting time of the model run is fantasy island.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Dubs_Fan

What does 'FI' mean

FI stands for Fantasy Island.....................predictions which are way far in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭gerrycorrigan

FANTASY ISLAND
    It's a term used by amateur model watchers to describe the period beyond which the weather the model describes is not reliable as there are too many unknowns and guess's as opposed to real data gone into them at that stage.

So when you read us saying FI is T-96 and beyond we mean,that any forecast chart produced for any time more than 96 hrs beyond the starting time of the model run is fantasy island.

go raibh maith agat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Wednesday:D

Bren - you're more than welcome to contribute, if you've something to contribute. If you don't, best not to post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Models still showing a potent blast for this day week. Early days of next week should be interesting model watching.

h850t850eu.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Pangea wrote: »
    Ok have the family told now that snowmaggadon is coming, the rollercoaster has been built :pac::pac:

That's the greatest Jinx known to man !! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

http://weatherfaqs.org.uk/node/152

Have a good read of that.
    The colours relate to how cold the air is in those charts.
    The link should explain to you how to interpret the values,the colours and what it means in terms of snow capability if any.
    Thanks so much for posting that link - for those of us who are just getting started into thie weather thing and are more than a bit clueless - the FAQ link is brilliant.
    I do think we will get more snow as it was just too early in the year for this last cold spell to be the ultimate.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

WolfeIRE wrote: »

Wait till he has to say the words "cataclysmic event" next week... he might faint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 mossyhayes

Will it be bad in Cork city weather wise with this severe weather coming?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

I didnt even get a chance to step off the rollercoaster to get a fresh sickbag and now were being pulled back up to the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

mossyhayes wrote: »
    Will it be bad in Cork city weather wise with this severe weather coming?:confused:

Its too far away to say tbh, sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

How accurate are the longer term weather models. The last cold snap was spotted well in advance by some people in the models was it not ?

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Gerry looked mightily relieved just now to be talkin about thaw and mild weather - he didn't even flinch when mentioning temps dropping to 0 C overnight......
    Methinks the weather peeps don't really like delivering extreme weather news on a regular basis
    But I think (like all weather geeks) they secretly enjoy extreme weather!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

How accurate are the longer term weather models. The last cold snap was spotted well in advance by some people in the models was it not ?

outside 96 hours you couldn't use the word accurate - but when the various models show a degree of agreement on something in the longer timeframe then that trend is worth bearing in mind...

...especially when it starts to coincide with what experienced folk like boards own MT cranium (and more recently Joe Bastardi) are also saying.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement