Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much can it cost to run forum?

Options
  • 09-12-2010 3:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi, I'm thinking of creating a website/forum. My queastion is how much could it cost me to run it i mean hosting and whatever is invloved in creating and maintaining a forum. I'm not a web developer or anything but I'm pretty good with computers allround so i could designe and maintain the site my self its just the costs of hosting and so on. Can anyone shine some light on this. Suggestions of hosters in Ireland or abroad anything that relates to creating and maintaining a forum.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

Depends on who's hosting

Digiweb who host boards.ie :P

And Vbulletin is the forum software

(Correct me if I'm wrong :p )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

hosting can be dirt cheap, check out godaddy !

vbulletin you need to pay a licence fee, but there are free alternatives like phpBB
    phpBB is great, we used run our clan forum on it, but had enough donations to afford a VB licence recently !
    vb is better if you can afford it !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Setting up and hosting a forum is a doddle.

Costs might vary based on usage & bandwidth, but you'd need a lot of users/activity/content to notice that.

The main "cost" involved is probably in relation to administration - dealing with SPAM registrations, moderation, ads (if you have them) etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭conorcan2

Less than 10 euro per month (for years hosting) and domain name. How much do you value your time, because that's where the majority of the expense will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I run a little forum for me and a few mates. It costs me about 40 euro a year for everything. Its also running that free forum software, which I find grand.

I've made a few customisations to it as well, which were also free, like adding in a mod for better SEO, as well as an arcade with a loada games. Link to it is in me sig.

I looked into vBulletin, like on boards here but it costs over €150! Not worth it unless theres a big following. Do you have people who'll sign up to it, or are u just gonna start from scratch?

• Advertisement
Advertisement