Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

JSB interview - what to expect

• 09-12-2010 3:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭

Hi there

I went to my local social welfare office on wednesday as I was officially made redundant last Friday. I've been made an appointment for next wednesday and was given a form to fill out.

I am getting some redundancy and have a letter detailing that.

What else should I bring with me? I don't require rental assistance as I have mortgage protection on my home, although that wont kick in for 3 months. Am I entitled to anything to cover this? Should I bring details of my mortgage with me?

Will I be backpaid if it takes several weeks to come through?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

• passport/driving licence
    • P45
    • proof of address (if you've moved recently)
    • proof of looking for work (emails/letters)
    You should be backpaid from about the fourth day you made the claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Thanks nolanger, I'll sort all those things out so there is no chance of delay.

Anyone know if I am entitled to anything to cover the first three months of my mortgage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,033 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Kinda of surprised your having an interview for JSB as this is an automatic entitlement based on PRSI contributions, essentially and based on the fact your entitled to redundancy, i assume you have enough PRSI contributions made to be awarded JSB which is not means tested. One caveat is the amount of redundancy you are receiving, whilst it is tax free if it goes over a certain amount, it may effect the amount you receive on JSB but you would need more expert advice on this. JSA (when your JSB runs out is a whole lot more complicated and is means tested taking into consideration your partners income etc etc.

It should only be a matter of signing on and be sure to bring all your documentation especially notification of redundancy and an original P.45. I addition i would advise you look at claiming tax back by way of submitting a P.50 which can be downloaded via the revenues website but you may need to do this ASAP prior to tax year end this month!

In relation to Mortgage assistance, you can claim some relief on the Interest portion of the Mortgage only but this has to be done through a community welfare officer at a local health center. Be warned, this is a bureaucratic nightmare and any payment if awarded will be based on the mortgage being manageable when you first took it out, in other words they will not entertain sub prime mortgages. Tonnes of original documentation is required including your original mortgage application, proof of then earnings etc etc! Also be ready for a long wait at the health center. (You need to be in reciept of JSB before you consider applying for Mortgage Interest relief) so wait until your JSB has been approved.

As an aside, be also prepared for a number of hurdles re your mortgage payment protection policy. Firstly it will not be paid out until 60 days after you make your initial claim so the time frame is actually more than 3 months, in addition once it kicks in you are required to have forms stamped monthly at your local social welfare office and finally don't assume it will pay your full mortgage, the benefit is based on what you contribute monthly, mine for example pays half my mortgage.

Finally, you should also consider approaching your mortgage provider now in order to consider a reduced payment (Interest only option etc), hopefully your with one of the main institutions and not these shark sub prime lenders.

Sorry to here about your redundancy, the social welfare system does work albeit very slowly, my best advice is have and save all and any documentation throughout the entire process.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Thanks so much dempo for all that info. I'm pretty clueless re SW as I've never been on it before. You have given me a lot of food for thought.

When I said interview I meant that I was given a form to fill out and told to come back next week as there was abig backlog due to snow and delays.

I've been paying PRSI for about 9 years with only a break of about 3-4 months so am pretty sure I'm entitled to it.

Am a bit concerned now re the mortgage protection. I'm with EBS and was under the impression it would be paid in full for up to a year. I called EBS a few weeks ago and they said I had to pay up the first three months and would be then sent a cheque for 2 months mortgage and that's when it kicks in. Am panicking now. Nothing was said to me about only part payment. I will ring them and find out what the story is. :(

I'm not familiar with the tax back. I was given an RP50 form. Is that what I need to claim tax back?

Thanks again

Just rang EBS and I am covered in full so they will pay out my claim for up to a year. I do have to pay the first 3 months though so I'll go see my local branch on Monday and get the mortgage payment changed for interest only.

God, it's all such an unwanted dilemma but I know I'm in a lot better position than many others and just have to keep positive.

Thanks again for your detailed reply. My mind is somewhat at ease. Re the redundancy, it is well under 50K (I wish!:D ) so am pretty sure that won't affect my benefits claim.

• Advertisement

Thanks so much dempo for all that info. I'm pretty clueless re SW as I've never been on it before. You have given me a lot of food for thought.

When I said interview I meant that I was given a form to fill out and told to come back next week as there was abig backlog due to snow and delays.

I've been paying PRSI for about 9 years with only a break of about 3-4 months so am pretty sure I'm entitled to it.

Am a bit concerned now re the mortgage protection. I'm with EBS and was under the impression it would be paid in full for up to a year. I called EBS a few weeks ago and they said I had to pay up the first three months and would be then sent a cheque for 2 months mortgage and that's when it kicks in. Am panicking now. Nothing was said to me about only part payment. I will ring them and find out what the story is. :(

I'm not familiar with the tax back. I was given an RP50 form. Is that what I need to claim tax back?

Thanks again

No Problem, glad to help as i went through the same process

Yes indeed there are some horrific delays at some social welfare offices but i am confident your JSB will be approved quickly enough, if there are delays it will be back dated from the date applied.

The Mortgage protection issue is tricky as it very much depends on what your policy covers, its relative to what your paying per month. In my situation i only discovered the amount i was paying towards was roughly half my mortgage payment and i only discvered this after i applied for it to kick in. Again don't be concerned, it may be your MPP will cover all if not a substantial portion of the mortgage. I should also point out you will be dealing with a third party insurance company, in my case is was Genworth financial who under write for PTSB. I have to say my experience was positive after the initial application process, they paid monthly into my account but i had to have "Going unemployment form" signed and stamped monthly. The benefit pays out for 12 months. I would make contact with the EBS and seek clarity on what is payable under your policy and who the underwriting company is. Thankfully your with the EBS who adhere to the banking code of practice.

Feel free to PM if you need further advice!

Almost forgot, google search P.50 form, download it and it will give you the details required. It permits you to claim some tax back based on unemployment.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 arsenalia

i wasnt asked 2 bring a p45 among the requirements, nd im still waiting 4 a decision.. is it because im still with parents nd under 23? or shud i go nd give them even if they did not ask?
    can ny1 shed a light? tnks.

arsenalia wrote: »
    i wasnt asked 2 bring a p45 among the requirements, nd im still waiting 4 a decision.. is it because im still with parents nd under 23? or shud i go nd give them even if they did not ask?

Hi there

I am not really sure, as I got my payment within a week as I have been paying tax for 9 years or so and not claimed before so I was eligible for stamps, or whatever that is.

If I were you, I'd go to your local office and speak to someone. You need to know where you stand. You can't carry on in this limbo - it's depressing.

Good luck.

tnks sunflower, was much appreciated.

Hi, a P.45 would have been required and i am suprised it was not requested. The P.45 Confirms you have ceased employment. JSB is not means tested and based on PRSI contributions and it should be automatic if you have been in full time employment for over two years or so!

• Advertisement

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Hi, a P.45 would have been required and i am suprised it was not requested. The P.45 Confirms you have ceased employment. JSB is not means tested and based on PRSI contributions and it should be automatic if you have been in full time employment for over two years or so!

Tnks, bu the ting here is i was in college 4 the last 3 years prior to applying ,i was doin a part time work to sustain me during those periods, technically i was still living with my parents bu i was renting accomodation in college. i finished dat part time work in sept nd the lady at the interview said my ma's income should be ok, that no need 4 p45 .. Is that a problem?

Tnks, bu the ting here is i was in college 4 the last 3 years prior to applying ,i was doin a part time work to sustain me during those periods, technically i was still living with my parents bu i was renting accomodation in college. i finished dat part time work in sept nd the lady at the interview said my ma's income should be ok, that no need 4 p45 .. Is that a problem?

I think perhaps your confusing JSB and JSA, based on the above info, you are applying for JSA which is means tested and may not require a P.45.

Advertisement