Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

bikes and customs

• 09-12-2010 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

a mate told me the other day that customs are requesting details of every person in the republic with a vehicle (car or bike) on a foreign registration plate.

is this true and can Insurance Companies legally just hand out such information?? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Tac wrote: »
    a mate told me the other day that customs are requesting details of every person in the republic with a vehicle (car or bike) on a foreign registration plate.

is this true and can Insurance Companies legally just hand out such information?? :confused:

Yes, yes & yes

Sure when you ring quinn the automated voice tells you that they regularly share information with the garda & other insurance companies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Yes.

Sometime, I think it was early this year, they changed the law - customes or the Gadia can request the information from the insurance companies, and they have to give it.

The government needs money. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

P.C. wrote: »
    Yes.

Sometime, I think it was early this year, they changed the law - customes or the Gadia can request the information from the insurance companies, and they have to give it.

The government needs money. :rolleyes:

All true, well, almost.

The GTC etc don't have to ask for it - the insurer's give it automatically......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Insurance companies are now required to give information about any foreign registered vehicles they have insured in the State for 3 months or more to Customs.

This means that Customs can now find vehicles at the addresses of VRT evaders.

Although I don't agree with VRT, the new process at least seems to be an intelligent use of resources as opposed to having 3 Customers officers cruising around town looking for yellow number plates between teabreaks FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭bigjoe

Why not pay the VRT. If you can't afford it maybe buying an older bike on Irish plates would be a better option.

• Advertisement
Advertisement