Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Weather Thread (How's the weather?)

Options
  • 09-12-2010 4:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

Its a cool -5C (23F) here in NY today! Bitter COLD! I'm just glad I have remote start on my car!

I'm horribly jealous of you guys who are out west in California! I would be out in a heart beat but am currently stuck in this icebox until I can get my green card!

Anyone up north have it worse?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Believe it or not it was actually -1 (30f) down here in California last Friday night, but that was a one time low. I've been told by many locals that its cold weather for this time of year down here. We had to switch the air conditioning off and put on the heating in work, there was mayhem :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Hi Orange69!
    In Newport Beach California its currently 21 (70F), with blue sky, white poofy clouds, and a slight breeze across the harbour. It's shorts and shades :cool: weather, and I might go for a swim in the Pacific later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Subzero (~18F) at night here in GA....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Minnesota (note: they use farenheit so 0degrees is actually -28c)

Diary Of A Snow Shoveler
    December 8: 6:00 PM. It started to snow. The first snow of the season and the wife and I took our cocktails and sat for hours by the window watching the huge soft flakes drift down from heaven. It looked like a Grandma Moses print. So romantic we felt like newlyweds again. I love snow!

December 9: We woke to a beautiful blanket of crystal white snow covering every inch of the landscape. What a fantastic sight! Can there be a more lovely place in the Whole World? Moving here was the best idea I've ever had. Shoveled snow for the first time in years and felt like a boy again. I did both our driveway and the sidewalks. This afternoon the snowplow came along and covered up the sidewalks and closed in the driveway, so I got to shovel again. What a perfect life.

December 12: The sun has melted all our lovely snow. Such a disappointment. My neighbor tells me not to worry, we'll definitely have a white Christmas. No snow on Christmas would be awful! Bob says we'll have so much snow by the end of winter, that I'll never want to see snow again. l don't think that's possible. Bob is such a nice man I'm glad he's our neighbor.

December 14: Snow lovely snow! 8" last night. The temperature dropped to -20. The cold makes everything sparkle so. The wind took my breath away, but I warmed up by shoveling the driveway and sidewalks. This is the life! The snowplow came back this afternoon and buried everything again. l didn't realize I would have to do quite this much shoveling, but I'll certainly get back in shape this way. I wish l wouldn't huff and puff so.

December 15: 20 inches forecast. Sold my van and bought a 4x4 Blazer. Bought snow tires for the wife's car and 2 extra shovels. Stocked the freezer. The wife wants a wood stove in case the electricity goes out. I think that's silly. We aren't in Alaska, after all.

December 16: Ice storm this morning. Fell on my ass on the ice in the driveway putting down salt. Hurt like hell. The wife laughed for an hour, which I think was very cruel.

December 17: Still way below freezing. Roads are too icy to go anywhere. Electricity was off for 5 hours. I had to pile the blankets on to stay warm. Nothing to do but stare at the wife and try not to irritate her. Guess I should've bought a wood stove, but won't admit it to her. God I hate it when she's right. I can't believe I'm freezing to death in my own living room.

December 20: Electricity's back on, but had another 14" of damn snow last night. More shoveling. Took all day. Goddamn snowplow came by twice. Tried to find a neighbor kid to shovel, but they said they're too busy playing hockey. I think they're lying. Called the only hardware store around to see about buying a snow blower and they're out. Might have another shipment in March. I think they're lying. Bob says I have to shovel or the city will have it done and bill me. I think he's lying.

December 22: Bob was right about a white Christmas because 13 more inches of the white sh*t fell today, and it's so cold it probably won't melt till August. Took me 45 minutes to get all dressed up to go out to shovel and then I had to piss. By the time I got undressed, pissed and dressed again. I was too tired to shovel. Tried to hire Bob who has a plow on his truck for the rest of the winter; but he says he's too busy. I think the asshole is lying.

December 23: Only 2" of snow today. And it warmed up to 0. The wife wanted me to decorate the front of the house this morning. What is she nuts!!! Why didn't she tell me to do that a month ago? She says she did but I think she's lying.

December 24: 6". Snow packed so hard by snowplow, l broke the shovel. Thought I was having a heart attack. I know the son of a bitch who drives that snowplow hides around the corner and waits for me to finish shoveling and then he comes down the street at a 100 miles an hour and throws snow all over where I've just been! Tonight the wife wanted me to sing Christmas carols with her and open our presents, but I was busy watching for that goddamn snowplow.

December 25: Merry Christmas. 20 more inches of the !=3D@x@!x!x1 slop tonight. Snowed in. The idea of shoveling makes my blood boil. God I hate the snow! Then the snowplow driver came by asking for a donation and I hit him over the head with my shovel. The wife says I have a bad attitude. I think she's an idiot. If I have to watch "It's a Wonderful Life" one more time, I'm going to smack her big ass with the shovel.

December 26: Still snowed in. Why the hell did I ever move here? It was all HER idea. She's really getting on my nerves.

December 27: Temperature dropped to -30 and the pipes froze.

December 28: Warmed up to above -20. Still snowed in. THE B***H is driving me crazy!!!!!

December 29: 10 more inches. Bob says I have to shovel the roof or it could cave in. That's the silliest thing I ever heard. How dumb does he think I am?

December 30: Roof caved in. The snow plow driver is suing me for a million dollars. The wife went home to her mother. 9" predicted.

December 31: Set fire to what's left of the house. No more shoveling.

January 8: I feel so good. I just love those little white pills they keep giving me. Why am I tied to the bed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

We had -22C (with wind chill factor) a few days ago and probably see more of that over the next few days in central Illinois. Winter storm expected over the weekend, 4-8" of snow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

lil_lisa wrote: »
    We had to switch the air conditioning off and put on the heating in work, there was mayhem :P

How terrible for you guys :pac:. Its now -7C here and I'm in my office with my hood on!
    Hi Orange69!
    In Newport Beach California its currently 21 (70F), with blue sky, white poofy clouds, and a slight breeze across the harbour. It's shorts and shades :cool: weather, and I might go for a swim in the Pacific later.

Man, that's what I want. I want a situation where I never have to wear a coat, under any circumstances!
    Ruu wrote: »
    We had -22C (with wind chill factor) a few days ago and probably see more of that over the next few days in central Illinois. Winter storm expected over the weekend, 4-8" of snow.

Wow, this is ridiculous. How do you deal with that.. I would probably never leave my apt! I even booked a week in Puerto Rico in February to escape this cold! The plan is to wear all the clothes I need for the entire trip as Im going to the airport in the NY cold.. Same story on the way back :)

Wrap up in layers is all you can do really, only my eyes are visible but my hands are still ripped up pretty badly. Amazed these American wood frame houses can stand up to it. Thank god for central air. I was out running in the worst of it and will be tomorrow morning, hopefully can get my race done before the snow hits town and bunker down for the weekend. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 82,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Hit 22F the other night in SC.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Newport Beach Harbour forecast 26 (79F) with light breeze. Time for a bit of fun in the surf and sun. :cool:

Feels like -26C in central Illinois (with wind chill) and windy! Sun is out though, fat lot of good it is doing. :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

We need to start seeing some pics in this thread! Its currently 5C here in NY btw. Feels almost balmy :)

This was from last February here in NY:

26022010040.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 user18

It was about 86 degrees today, but it is supposed to drop into the 60's and 50's and rain later this week. I live in Los Angeles, by the way.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Sortof a nice early September day in Dublin, Ireland, here in the vicinity of Dublin California this fine December day.

Gets a little chilly at night, but I'm wearing short sleeves to work.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

We just had three days of biblically heavy rain Here in Seattle. Have you ever been in a rain "white out"? Think connemara on a Really Wet Day and then double it.
    Today its nice. Lows in the mid 30's highs mid 40's ad some sun...

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Today its nice. Lows in the mid 30's highs mid 40's ad some sun...

I love it when it's cold and sunny like that. It feels fresh and it's bright and happy :D

22F (feels like 11F) in central Illinois but snow on the way, Chicago area will get probably around 5"+, 1-2" expected for us south of there.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Last February in South Carolina, first time in a Decade for the region.

?ui=2&ik=670e9c479a&view=att&th=126c83c7ecc984b5&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=f_g5mn67f40&zw
    Right.............. ^ here.
    The old man snapped this photo and it was clear that he knocked over my snowman, I built fred in the wee hours of that morning. Though he never answered the accusations. Fred wasn't very pleasant to look at anyway as I hadn't built a snowman in well - 10 years :) it was 2000 when Ireland had the really big snowstorm I guess.

Frosty morning, but it's going to be a nice, sunny day about 20C in Oakland today. We've been warned to expect a deluge over the next week, however.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭cheesehead

Now this is a weekend forecast! (for Yosemite National Park, CA):

This Afternoon: Snow. High near 37. South southwest wind around 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 5 to 9 inches possible.

Tonight: Snow. Low around 27. Breezy, with a south southwest wind between 16 and 22 mph, with gusts as high as 29 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 24 to 30 inches possible.

Saturday: Rain and snow. The rain and snow could be heavy at times. High near 38. South southwest wind between 18 and 21 mph, with gusts as high as 28 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 11 to 17 inches possible.

Saturday Night: Rain and snow. Low around 26. South southwest wind around 20 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 22 to 28 inches possible.

Sunday: Snow. High near 38. Breezy, with a southwest wind between 17 and 23 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 21 to 27 inches possible.

Sunday Night: Snow. Low around 20. Breezy. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 12 to 18 inches possible.

We're still waiting for the deluge here in central California.

TV reports are saying that it's all falling on Blue Lagoon, with a few feet (about 12) landing on Tahoe.

We had some slight drizzle the last couple of days, the KOAK METAR says over ten miles visibility, few clouds at 2,500ft, scattered clouds at 5,500, and broken clouds at 20,000ft. Winds 130 at 10kts. Themometer said 10C as I drove in this morning.

Quite acceptable.

NTM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

74 F here in Houston today, doesn't feel very Christmassy.

It has been absolutely horrible down here in San Diego since Sunday night. Traffic is blocking up completely, people are driving all over the place (no joke) and we almost hit several accidents on our way to work this morning. There shall be pile ups everywhere. Here's a glimpse from the local freeway camera just outside work:

attachment.php?attachmentid=140339&stc=1&d=1292956978

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

Wind has been brutal!!! Wind chill factor has caused the real feel temp to be –0 degrees F every morning for weeks, with actual temps in the teens. Have to shovel a light dusting of snow just about every morning because the winds carry the snow making efforts from the nearby ski resort located just up the road. Went out and got a second, more powerful, snowblower – per the recommendations of the Farmers Almanac for this winter. Global Warming my a$$... Mini Ice Age is where it’s at. (Pocono Mountains, PA)

subhero.mountain.conditions.jpg

We had some freezing rain overnight and it warmed up a little today. Currently cloudy at around 34F. Extended forecast shows snow on Friday and through the weekend, might be a white Christmas in central Illinois.

Advertisement