Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Partial Respray Concerns-Advice anyone?

Options
  • 09-12-2010 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Hi Folks,
    I have a VW Golf, I was driven into and damage was done to the drivers side bumper of the car, in meeting the insurance company's garage he noticed a second scratch (from a previous incident) on the opposite passenger side of the bumper. So he told me that he would fix the drivers side damage to the bumper with a partial respray of the bumper starting from drivers side wing & stopping at the reg plate, telling me that he would blend the colours to match the surrounding panels, remainder of bumper and bonnet! He said if i wanted the 2nd older scratch fixed with this it would cost me an extra 100 euro. im not disputing that I dont have a right to fix the other one and i dont feel the damage warrants a replacement bumper however;

Am I right to have concerns on a partial respray, ie-respraying half of a bumper on a 10 year old car? Will it not potentially look odd compared to the other half and possibly the surrounding panels? I know colour matching can be difficult!?

-Secondly-I reckon if the second scratch wasnt there am i right to say that he'd probably be respraying the whole thing-the fact that it is means that he could be just looking for a few extra quid!?

Anyone any advice?!
    Anything would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

No problem spraying half a bumper, I do it all the time. The colour match won't be an issue either. The only car which is odd, is the MKV Goilf, even from the factory, the bumpers are a different colour to the car. Go fig!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I think PaintDoctor knows a lot more on the subject than me, but I've never heard of painting 1/2 a bumper before. Who picked this guy? It should have been you.

You've heard about it loads of times Anan you cheeky pup, it's called a SMART repair :D You only paint the affected area, then blend the lacquer into the middle of the bumper using blending agents. Impossible to tell that half's been painted.

Here's pretty much the same thing, TT which had been towbared, I only had to paint the affected area, and blend the lacquer, you really wouldn't be able to tell where. Once it's done correctly, it's very fast, and inexpensive. I'd imagine the guy's suggesting it because he's capable of blending correctly and has done a couple before.

21867_266481197036_266453757036_5022774_3197594_n.jpg

21867_266481192036_266453757036_5022773_6679229_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭aliocroc

Cheers Anan and Paintdoctor! Suppose that answers that! I had never really heard of half-spraying anything before but even though its newer the Audi looks well matched!

No i didnt pick the guy, it was the other insurance company! No worries anyway-it seems it was all normal enough procedure!

Thanks for the advice folks,
    Al

• Advertisement

That Audi is actually a 2001, only a year newer than your own car. If someone's painting the bumper, they would most likely polish the panel next to it with a light cutting compound to restore as much of the original lustre as possible making everything look ticketyboo.

Just to clarify, cause I'd a PM from someone about this - it's generally best to only blend lacquer on a front bumper, as it tapers down into small panels like behind the numberplate, and you've large grill openings where you can lose the new lacquer into the old.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭aliocroc

That Audi is actually a 2001, only a year newer than your own car. If someone's painting the bumper, they would most likely polish the panel next to it with a light cutting compound to restore as much of the original lustre as possible making everything look ticketyboo.

Ticketyboo! :D
    Just to clarify, cause I'd a PM from someone about this - it's generally best to only blend lacquer on a front bumper, as it tapers down into small panels like behind the numberplate, and you've large grill openings where you can lose the new lacquer into the old.

Interesting! looks like I got hit in the right place! Sound man Paintdoctor, thanks for all the advice! The guy is calling me today, getting it fixed Tuesday!!

Thanks a mill!

Advertisement