Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 year old FIGHTING sleep.

• 09-12-2010 5:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭

Bed times have turned into a long process in our house recently.

Our 2 year old, who's in his own room, takes about 2 hours to nod off.

He shared our room for a long time, over a year, because we'd moved house and only had one bedroom ready.

We start getting him ready at around half 8, with a bath, then one of us lies in the bed and reads to him while he has some milk.

But he doesn't give in, kicks his feet together, sits up, anyhting to keep himself awake.

It was almost midnight by the time he went off last night.

This is our first so we don't know what we're doing, We're thinking of trying the supernanny method of sitting in the room and repeatedly putting him down.

Any one got any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Just for clarity...he's staying in the bed, right? Just fighting going to sleep? And you're not staying in the room, is that right?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

You can try the method but I suspect it will be awkward with him sharing your room. Will his room be sorted any time soon. I think he's probably afraid he'll miss something if he goes to sleep. You could try just not talking to him when he does this. If he's not getting attention he might give up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Some of ours are good at nodding off, other aren't. But we do the bath, low lights, mellow music and a book. Sometimes one of us will read our own book in there room till they nod off. Because you don't want to talk/engage them as it wakes them up. Over time it will work. You just have to have patience. If you can't take the kids music, some of your own music will work too. Nora Jones and Jack Johnson etc.

Also make sure they have a good run, a playground or something or a shopping center in bad weather, reasonably close to bed time so they are tired. Some kids don't need a daytime nap, and even if they do anything longer than 20 mins will have them up half the night. 8.30 seems a little late. If you can I'd do that 7.30.

Experiment till you find what works for him and you. Once you find something that works, often it may change. But in general mellow and routine works.

Make sure they aren't getting sneaky long naps with a grand parent or something. Especially not late in the day. You can experiment with the naps too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

he is in his own room. What we tend to do is read to him til he finishes his milk. Then we'd lie with him till he drops off. It used to take about 20 minutes but as i said its now 2 hours. He'll wake at half 8 or so, but he's tired again soon and needs a nap in the afternoon. I also think there's a bit of cabin fever, its been hard to get him out with the bad weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

As soon as we give the bottle we're out of there tbh. I'd also not be on the bed after the book. He needs to get used to falling asleep without you there. Otherwise your creating bad habits that you'll have to break aswell.

I'd only go back in, if they won't settle, and there needs to be minimal interaction. Hence I read my book. If theres daytime naps, do them in the bedroom, not downstairs. So he associates bedroom and bed with sleep.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Yeah our lad was starting to take longer to go asleep. We used to leave his door open because we'd be in and out. Last week I absent mindedly closed the door behind me after putting him down. There wasn't a peep out of him. We've been doing it since and it's great.

I'd say the "supernanny" thing will definitely work and you can get some grown up time. You'll have to have the stomach for the first few nights though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

They say it's three days to break an old routine and three days to settle into the new one. So six days in total. If you're doing supernanny you don't stay in the room with him.

My little one is usually a good sleeper but we've been having a hard time with her waking up in the middle of the night and going back to sleep. That's sorted now, but she's now causing a fuss going to bed so I've started letting her cry it out and go in at 5 minute intervals until she settles.

It's hard work and takes a lot out of you but tonight it's only taken me going in two times for her to drop off herself. It took an hour the last couple of nights. She'll be two on Sunday and is still in a cot so can't follow me out of the room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

I'd definately say that half 8 is very late to be starting the bedtime routine. maybe he's getting over tired.

It is very hard knowing what to do though. We're first time parents and are forever second guessing ourselves as to what is the right thing to do.

Definately try the supernanny thing! It seems to work on the telly! We have done the controlled crying thing with our little lady and it works.

Its very hard though and can be very straining physically and emotionally. Make sure you and your husband share the responsibility so your little one knows that you both mean business. And start the process at the weekend when neither of you have to be up and out to work the following day.

Good luck :)

They say it's three days to break an old routine and three days to settle into the new one. So six days in total. If you're doing supernanny you don't stay in the room with him.
    QUOTE]
    Dont stay in the room? Bit confused now...the supernanny website says sit on the floor and dont make eye contact.

He is in a bed as well..not a cot, we found he moved around so much he'd hit himself off it and wake up.

One other thing....2 isnt too young for these methods?

First time parents here.....we're learning as we go along!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

No two isn't too young, once they start understand things (yes and no, bedtime now) you can start doing it, your choice completely though.

Maybe there's two supernanny methods? The one in the tv program is you put them into bed, say your good nights etc and walk out of the room, if they follow you or get up then you take them by the hand lead them back in, tell them "it's bedtime, darling" and then put them down again, no kisses/hugs this time. If they do it again you take them back in again and say "bedtime" put them back down and out again, if the follow a third time you just bring them back in silently and straight back out, no talking at all. And continue with the no talking until the stop getting up and fall asleep.

Like I said, it's hard work, and can be draining so your heart and head need to be in it and both parents need to be on board so there are no arguements about who is being too soft/too hard etc... Being a first time parent is hard but you learn it all as you go along ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Adrieanne, I've seen supernanny use the method you've described, but she does use another method which is essentially the same but you sit in the room and face away from the child and follow the method the same way. Every night you move closer to the door until you are eventually sat outside of it. I think she recommends this way when the child is used to a parent staying in the room until they are asleep so that its not as traumatic.

Make sure you are sure of the method you are going to use, be clear in your head of all the steps and like I said before, make sure both you and daddy are using the same techniques.

Well Mrs.giftgrub was putting him to bed tonight. After an hour of lying beside him, she switched to supernanny mode. We weren't going to try this til next week, when i'm off a late shift. Anyway there were major tears. But he fell asleep in 15 mins. The downside is my wife feels so guilty...i hope it gets easier

Advertisement