Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMW needs new tyres - help!

• 09-12-2010 5:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭

My 2001 BMW 320ci had to have a new front tyre today. I went to advance Pitstop with a flat expecting a simple puncture but they showed me the tyre and it had a plug in it from a previous puncture and they wouldn't repair because they said it would be too dangerous so offered to put the spare on or replace the tyre.

The threads of all 4 tyres are getting low (the rears are almost at the 1.6mm Mark) and I was expecting to replace them next year anyway, so I went ahead and got a new tyre. Continental sportcontact 3 225/45/17 and it cost €165. Was I ripped off? Tbh it was less than I was expecting.

I was quoted 182 each for the rears, which are 245/45/17 iirc. Are these prices good, bad or average?

Also i'm wondering would I be better off replacing the other tyres ASAP or would it be ok to continue on them for another few months? I'm thinking it's better to have all new tyres on? I currently have bridgestone potenzas on the car.

Comments

There is an Advance near me and an independent fitter in the same industrial estate, the independent guy beats all of their prices so I'd advise you to shop around for the rears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I wouldnt say you were ripped off but you certainly didnt get a bargain. There have been several threads here on tyres and prices. Have a search and find out. I was looking at 235/45/17 at my local tyreman and they were costing 180 each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

The Contis are a good tyre. It's a bit on the expensive side but not a complete rip off. They were €136 each in fastfit for the same size when I last needed tyres. It's still over €50 quid dearer saying that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I started this thread for the same tyres. Have a read. Some good info there.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055972736

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

have you looked into the Kuhmo Ecsta KU31 about €70 each.

Superb for a budget tyre in my opinion, and I actually strongly believe in putting the best rubber on the car you can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

RobAMerc wrote: »

Superb for a budget tyre in my opinion, and I actually strongly believe in putting the best rubber on the car you can.

That's what I have on my car (and my old one too). I don't think they're even really thought of as a budget tyre any more.

I think camskill sell it for 80 delivered for a 215/45/17R.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

RobAMerc wrote: »

where did you buy it from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Not quite budget but wouldn't be as good as the Contis either imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

You didn't get a bargain, or ripped off,you paid high street prices is all

You could try eiretyres they would have delivered that tyre for €124.30 but you would still have to get someone to fit it at most that would have being €20 I'm guessing. So you have to ask yourself would a saving of 20 quid be worth the hassle? I doubt it :)

Handy site if you were buying 4 tyres I'm sure also good for checking prices and differnt types of tyres if nothing else..
    http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?details=Ordern&cart_id=61306268.124.2608&typ=R-133573&ranzahl=4&Breite=225&Herst=Continental&Quer=45&Felge=17&Speed=H&weiter=0&kategorie=6&Ang_pro_Seite=15&Transport=P&dsco=124&sowigan=So

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Funfair wrote: »
    You didn't get a bargain, or ripped off,you paid high street prices is all

You could try eiretyres they would have delivered that tyre for €124.30 but you would still have to get someone to fit it at most that would have being €20 I'm guessing. So you have to ask yourself would a saving of 20 quid be worth the hassle? I doubt it :)

Handy site if you were buying 4 tyres I'm sure also good for checking prices and differnt types of tyres if nothing else..
    http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?details=Ordern&cart_id=61306268.124.2608&typ=R-133573&ranzahl=4&Breite=225&Herst=Continental&Quer=45&Felge=17&Speed=H&weiter=0&kategorie=6&Ang_pro_Seite=15&Transport=P&dsco=124&sowigan=So
    Some have found them good but i ve found them pure s'hite, no customer service at all and in 6 days they havent even processed my transaction. Their excuse is it's their busy season - fair enough but you cant ignore paying customers. Will never use them again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭thenashlegend

You could just replace the other front tire now, and shop around for the rears!

Its advised to change the matching tires together, eg. 2 fronts or 2 rears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭Shane732

A friend of mine picked up Pirelli 225/45 ZR17's for €100 each fitted from Atlas recently.

I use Atlas myself too. I've found that they're actually willing to do a deal on tyres and will beat other prices in order to get the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 PIMP MASTER P

I've a man for you but he's based in Monaghan. If your willing to travel you could come to Monaghan, stay in a hotel, get tyres and still have change.

I just got like new 2nd hand tyres for €30 a tyre, and the was for 16", I'd say he is €35 for 17", and they are a branded tyre, Dunlop none the less...

PM for details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

As has been said the price seems fairly average.
    With regards to whether or not you should change the other tyres......Yes. Especially in this weather. I know the ice is beginning to thaw but it'll be back. Tyres are one of the most important parts on your car and they're often over-looked.
    Oh and if the rear tyres are bald you should be definately changing them-they're the ones doing the driving and in this weather you need all the grip you can get! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,502 ✭✭✭✭guil

lads autodepot have a thing going for new tyres, if ya buy 4 they only charge for 3, cant get much better than that

Advertisement