Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Conclusions.

• 09-12-2010 5:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭

I'm terrible at these, every essay i do, these always seem to be at fault. Along with grammer, i can fix that no problem but these conclusions. Any tips lads? Seeing as my teacher thinks its "time wasting" to show us how!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭niamhallen

Well, what I do is re-answer the question and then give reasons that I've already stated. Its the worst part of the essay but all it does is take practice. It's the most important part too because its the last thing they read before they mark your essay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭marko93

I gave that a shot.. Hopefully it goes well. Will let you know. Thanks a million ^-^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

niamhallen wrote: »
    Well, what I do is re-answer the question and then give reasons that I've already stated. Its the worst part of the essay but all it does is take practice. It's the most important part too because its the last thing they read before they mark your essay.
    If you just summarise your essay the most marks you can get is 4 for the paragraph, which you probably won't get unless it's an immense summary.

Pop in some new piece of, interesting/key, information. I usually held back a quote and popped it in to the last sentence e.g. summing up SFs victory in 1918: They were succesful because...but I feel the 1916 rising was the most important. Lady (forget her name) said "It was like blood seeping under a closed door"; the rising changed the mindset of an entire nation.

Quotes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭alleystar

marko93 wrote: »
    I'm terrible at these, every essay i do, these always seem to be at fault. Along with grammer, i can fix that no problem but these conclusions. Any tips lads? Seeing as my teacher thinks its "time wasting" to show us how!

Yeah your not supposed to summarise the concluding paragraph but you can give your own opinion on the topic and then link it up with another event in history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Elite Baz

For my summaries I just refer back to the title and answer the question.

For example if the question was on the the success of Truman as president I would name out the areas where I felt he was successful and were I thought he wasn't. These points would probably have been paragraphs in my essay. And to finish I would just say that overall I believe he was/wasn't successful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭niamhallen

theowen wrote: »
    If you just summarise your essay the most marks you can get is 4 for the paragraph, which you probably won't get unless it's an immense summary.

Pop in some new piece of, interesting/key, information. I usually held back a quote and popped it in to the last sentence e.g. summing up SFs victory in 1918: They were succesful because...but I feel the 1916 rising was the most important. Lady (forget her name) said "It was like blood seeping under a closed door"; the rising changed the mindset of an entire nation.

Quotes!

But if you're putting in a new piece of information, you'll probably have to elaborate which is kind of counterproductive for a conclusion, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

Our history teacher is always at us for conclusions, they're not meant to be summaries but more of a closing opinion and statement explaining the whole thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Moke

I'm only in fifth year but our teacher gave us a very easy way to do the conclusions. Make your conclusion 2 paragraphs, in the first paragraph just give a summary of the main points and in the second say why things happened. e.g. Ironically it was the British system of 'first past the post' that gave Sinn Féin the most seats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

niamhallen wrote: »
    But if you're putting in a new piece of information, you'll probably have to elaborate which is kind of counterproductive for a conclusion, no?
    Not really. I'm not saying to give completely new information, but something that backs up what your saying. E.g. If your saying you think the 1916 rising was indeed a success you'd sum up your essay and then pop in that quote. Your forcing home your point. Worked for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

My History teacher has been telling us since 5th year that conclusions aren't necessary. I knew the man was full of crap.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭marko93

I had 2 essays to do..
    One conclusion i just summarised the whole thing. Gave an opinion. That was that.
    The other, i done 2 paragraphs, one breaking down the essay, another giving an opinion and giving a "what if" scenario, and linking it with another.. (in this case the essay was about LBJ.)

Advertisement