Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Live from Cork - Why?

• 09-12-2010 6:09pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭

Both The Last Word (Today FM) and The Right Hook (Newstalk) are being broadcast from Cork today. Is there any particular reason for this?

I know the host of both programmes is originally from the place but what has that got to do with anything? Newstalk seem particularly obsessed with the place. Poor Hookie gets sent down there every Thursday to present his programme from a goldfish bowl in a side street.

I'm just wondering what difference they think it makes, and is not more costly to produce these programmes outside their home studio?

I couldn't care less if they were broadcast from planet Mars myself.
    There are times when I think George Hook might actually be from there!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

Um...George Hook IS from Cork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

I'm sure Hook loves being home :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Because there's more to Ireland than just Dublin and Today FM and Newstalk ARE nationwide stations. Why SHOULDN'T they do programmes from Cork or other locations around the country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Bard wrote: »
    Because there's more to Ireland than just Dublin and Today FM and Newstalk ARE nationwide stations. Why SHOULDN'T they do programmes from Cork or other locations around the country?

+1 The question should be "why not, and why not more often ?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

klong wrote: »

Matt Cooper IS from Cork too - BOoy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

You can see George in the studio from Opera Lane, so I suppose the idea is passersby might be curious enough to tune into Newstalk to hear whats going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,367 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The studio in opera lane is newstalks studio along with redfm here in cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭wyndhurst

Lapin wrote: »
    Both The Last Word (Today FM) and The Right Hook (Newstalk) are being broadcast from Cork today. Is there any particular reason for this?

I know the host of both programmes is originally from the place but what has that got to do with anything? Newstalk seem particularly obsessed with the place. Poor Hookie gets sent down there every Thursday to present his programme from a goldfish bowl in a side street.

I'm just wondering what difference they think it makes, and is not more costly to produce these programmes outside their home studio?

I couldn't care less if they were broadcast from planet Mars myself.
    There are times when I think George Hook might actually be from there!
    It's surely time for a wider view on the country - CLEARLY, those 'elites' cocooned in Dublin & surrounds have completely fecked up the country.
    Time for the real capital to be crowned and the Munster Brigade to run the country. Take us about 6months to sort the place out.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭denishurley

klong wrote: »
    dh0661 wrote: »
    Matt Cooper IS from Cork too - BOoy.

Pretty sure Lapin was saying he/she thinks Hook is from Mars

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭JayeL

I think it's fair enough that a national station broadcasts from more than the capital but what gets my goat is the broadcasting from Florida or Austria i.e. Ian Dempsey. It's completely pointless and wouldn't make me want to go to that place (if that's the intention).

I think it'd mean more if they had a primetime show permanently coming from outside Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    +1 The question should be "why not, and why not more often ?"

+1 agreed 130%

More and more Cork people are now discovering other stations since they've made the switch away from 96FM

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭invaderjim

The last word was broadcasting from Cork as part of its Area 22 supporters events in anticipation of Munster V Ospreys. They have previoulsy broadcast from Limerick and Galway as well.
    I for one think its great that they do these live audience broadcasts. Looked like good craic on the internet stream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Have a think about it - every time they broadcast from Cork they mention the name Opera Lane about 100 times per show - coincidence??? Of course not - Opera Lane is not a real lane or street, it is the name of a new shopping complex which had a radio studio built in. Newstalk and Today FM (same company) get paid for broadcasting shows from "Opera Lane" indirect advertising.

Its like when 2FM are live from Liffey valley, or RedFM is live from Mahon point - they all get paid to broadcast from there.

Its all about the bob's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

JayeL wrote: »
    I think it's fair enough that a national station broadcasts from more than the capital but what gets my goat is the broadcasting from Florida or Austria i.e. Ian Dempsey. It's completely pointless and wouldn't make me want to go to that place (if that's the intention).

I think it'd mean more if they had a primetime show permanently coming from outside Dublin.

Topflight have had Dempsey going on ski trips for many years now. So they must find it beneficial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Off The Ball and Moncrieff move around the country as well, and Off The Ball go to towns, not just cities. It's a great idea I think to have a live audience as well.

To the OP, why not? I only used to ever get to hear Newstalk on trips to Dublin. I listen to it everyday now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

seachto7 wrote: »
    Off The Ball and Moncrieff move around the country as well, and Off The Ball go to towns, not just cities. It's a great idea I think to have a live audience as well.

I was never really a fan of Off The Ball's roadshows. The half-pissed audience were just annoying, it didn't really make for great radio. It probably would have helped if you were half-pissed yourself while listening to it, but that would be unlikely at 7 o'clock on a Monday night.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Bard wrote: »

I'm not from Dublin myself and I agree that broadcasts outside the capital are welcome for some programmes. Contributors here have mentioned the Off the Ball Roadshow and Moncrieff . Both of these are light entertainment programmes which I enjoy. The agenda for these programmes can be decided weeks in advance. Audience participation is part of the gig and adds to the atmospehere. The listener knows what to expect.

But The Last Word and The Right Hook which I have mentioned are primarily news based programmes and the agenda for such programmes is decided outside the studio often at short notice.

Therefore I struggle to see the benefit in telling the listeners that they broadcasting from Cork or elsewhere. What difference does it make? I'm just wondering why Cooper, Hook and others feel the need to inform the listeners that they are there.
    One man in a studio sounds the same when he's on air be it in in Opera Lane, Diggs Lane or my garden shed.
    Pretty sure Lapin was saying he/she thinks Hook is from Mars

I now he's from Cork (God knows we all do, he reminds his listeners often enough), but there are times when he sounds like he's from a different planet. And he'd probably be the first to agree. :)
    murphym7 wrote: »
    Have a think about it - every time they broadcast from Cork they mention the name Opera Lane about 100 times per show - coincidence??? Of course not - Opera Lane is not a real lane or street, it is the name of a new shopping complex which had a radio studio built in. Newstalk and Today FM (same company) get paid for broadcasting shows from "Opera Lane" indirect advertising.

Its like when 2FM are live from Liffey valley, or RedFM is live from Mahon point - they all get paid to broadcast from there.

Its all about the bob's.

Thats a very good point and you've probably hit a poor old nail on the head.

However The Right Hook this week was broadcast from Ballincollig (wherever that is).
    I've nothing against the good citizens of Ballincollig and I don't have a problem with a nationwide current affairs programme being broadcast from where ever it is.

But I don't think its in Opera Lane. :confused:
    wyndhurst wrote: »
    It's surely time for a wider view on the country - CLEARLY, those 'elites' cocooned in Dublin & surrounds have completely fecked up the country.
    Time for the real capital to be crowned and the Munster Brigade to run the country. Take us about 6months to sort the place out.

Arse:pac:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

They never broadcast from Waterford :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Dan Dare

mike65 wrote: »
    They never broadcast from Waterford :(

Why not? Ring Liveline and lets all have a heated debate.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

wyndhurst wrote: »

So we can move the arrogance to its natural home?

• Advertisement
Advertisement