Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Silent Monks Sing Hallelujah Chorus

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭dvae

I think those monks may be exploiting a loop hole by being silent.
    Didn't the pope back in 2008 ban the use our Lords name from songs and
    prayer.
    Perhaps there not catholic.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Classic link :)
    BTW, I think that given the Pope's love of Music, offhand he was making the point that crosses were not a fashion accessory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Jester Minute

dvae wrote: »
    I think those monks may be exploiting a loop hole by being silent.
    Didn't the pope back in 2008 ban the use our Lords name from songs and
    prayer.
    Perhaps there not catholic.

The Pope issued an instruction that the Tetragrammaton not be used in songs in Catholic worship. We never did as far as I know. It's use only came in during the 1960s when we began to regard the Almighty as more of a buddy than a Supreme Divine Being.

Background: http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/yahweh_not_to_be_used_in_liturgy_songs_and_prayers_cardinal_arinze_says/

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭dvae

The Pope issued an instruction that the Tetragrammaton not be used in songs in Catholic worship. We never did as far as I know. It's use only came in during the 1960s when we began to refer to the Almighty as more of a buddy than a Supreme Divine Being.

Dose the word Tetragrammaton not mean the the four letters that make up
    the word YHWH?
    From my understanding the use of the words Yahweh or Jehovah are forbidden from song and prayer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Jester Minute

dvae wrote: »
    Dose the word Tetragrammaton not mean the the four letters that make up
    the word YHWH?
    From my understanding the use of the words Yahweh or Jehovah are forbidden from song and prayer.

Yeah that's it, but I didn't like to say!

Familiarity breeds contempt. I think that the trend in liberal Catholic circles to use the Divine Name in a buddy fashion was harmful to our faith.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭SonOfAdam

Familiarity breeds contempt. I think that the trend in liberal Catholic circles to use the Divine Name in a buddy fashion was harmful to our faith.

Does familiarity breed contempt with your earthly father ? Then why so with your heavenly one ? Because of Jesus we can approach the throne of grace with confidence, knowing that for Christ's sake we will never be forsaken - He has become our Abba (daddy). If you wish to stay off in the distance that's your choice - it certainly isn't what our father desires for you.

Advertisement