Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Comradery and blind loyalty.

• 09-12-2010 6:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭

No names. I just want peoples opinions on this scenario.

First of all the one thing i love about training is the whole aspect of being a team, a family, a single entity that is willing to help each other.

Some people get the satisfaction of training hard, learning a new move, or just the fact " they are training mma ".

Here is what i want to ask you, when you are training in an establishment does that word have to be your gospel. I know people can become enthralled with a place and not see a fault in it. For the fact that it is your club and home, does this mean you cannot speak out against it.

Example, a footballer speaks out against his manager he is usually punished.

Or a club pushing a fighter to compete in a fight.

Is it just an unwritten rule to go against your club, or are you allowed speak out since you are a paying customer. Why can't you voice your discontent.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭NG-DOC

interesting topic.

nobody should be pushed to compete, equally nobody should be made feel afraid of their instructor (or anyone) and be scared to speak their mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

Luckily I am really happy with my club and coach and know I would never be pushed into anything I didn't want to do.

But no way would I train anywhere where I was forced to do something I didn't understand o wasn't comfortable with. And as Darragh said above nobody should need to feel intimidated by anyone, let alone their coach.

OSS.

Ledede

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Allow me to rephrase myself before people pick up on it. Pushed , I mean " go on you can't get hit in the head on the ground " ( quote i have heard myself )

The attitude of we are all big men here we would love to fight as soon as we get the chance. Go on, why aren't you fighting ?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Chris Dowling

Plenty of good clubs around, but great clubs grow and improve and listen to their members/students and instructors oppinions. So if you are not happy about something talk to your instructor maybe he is not aware of the problem as others may have been afraid to say it previously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭SBG Ireland

well i've tried to model myself on this guys style of coaching, seems to work

sweep-the-leg-large.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭_oveless

well i've tried to model myself on this guys style of coaching, seems to work

sweep-the-leg-large.jpg

Really? While their training methods were a lot better than fence painting and wish washing, in the end they were a bunch of dicks, and they lost!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

Can't really comment of this particular situation as I'm only getting a vague hint of what is only one side of the story.

I will say that sometimes people need a bit of a shove to get them motivated.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

SDTimeout wrote: »
    The attitude of we are all big men here we would love to fight as soon as we get the chance. Go on, why aren't you fighting ?

Sounds like you should probably try out a few other clubs. Sometimes the problem isn't you or the club. Its just that the fit is wrong. If the club you're in is very competition focussed, that can be great gas but also very pressured. If this is true to the extent that you're not enjoying your training any more, say it to your coaches and team mates, and either train differently or move on. The same is true when you compete as part of a team; on the one hand you've got the support and comaradery, on the flip side you have the responsibility of not letting the team down. For some people winning is everything, others like myself just enjoy the buzz of competition (least ways I did when I was a bit younger). Some would think of a silver medal as a humiliating defeat, whereas I'd be doing backflips on the rare occasions I got a bronze. If you're not enjoying what you're doing, do something different. There's plenty to choose from and no obligation whatsoever to be the toughest kid on the block. Life's too short and soon enough you'll be dead one way or the other ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

Well, everyone has to be pushed a bit, in training and to compete... so being outside of your comfort zone is good, but you shouldn't do something you're (completely) uncomfortable with, if that makes sense?

Is it not common to visit other clubs in MMA circles? Or do people choose one and stick to it?

Doing some judo around Dublin, and while having a main club (in my case, college) it was great to be able to go to other training sessions when I could, and always be welcomed. Having different/new training partners in judo is great, so visiting other clubs is a big help.

Advertisement